Winter

Expired

 

 

How it started

 

 

" Unnie, do you think I'm fat? " Krystal said pinching the nonexistent fat on her stomach. She was standing infront of my mirror, sliding her finger up and down her body.

 

I stared at, pushing my reading glasses up, wondering if she was serious or not.

 

" No "

 

" Then do you think I'm pretty? " she said pulling her shirt down and looked into the mirror.

 

She wouldn't stop touching her face, trailing to her eyebrow down to her chin and stared at herself as if was some sort of creature.

 

What was wrong with her today? Where was the normally tomboyish girl that I grew up watching beatup boys that ?

 

I sat back in my chair, putting the bookmark that she made for me into the book I was reading, setting it onto my lap.

 

I brushed a piece of my hair behind my ear before answering " Of course you are. " she smiled.

 

I patted the empty spot next to me, telling her to sit.

 

She walked over to me and sat, it was then I noticed how puffy her eyes were.

 

I moved the hair out of her face. " Do you want unnie to make you even prettier? " Krystal nodded her head, excited. I grabbed her hand pulling her to sit infront of the mirror.

 

" Hold still " I said taking my makeup bag out. I took my eyeliner out and held her chin to stop her from moving.

 

She fidgeted as I placed it on top of her, 'don't move' I whispered trying to make her relax.

 

She opened her eyes as soon I was done putting a little bit of blush and lipgloss on her.

 

" Unnie, is this really me? " she said cupping her face, disbelieve by her appearance.

 

"All you. " I said putting the rest of my makeup away in my bag. She wouldn't stop touching her face, amazed by her beauty.

 

 

 

Her happiness

 

 

 

Krystal came back from school the next day, all dolled up in the makeup I taught her how to use, smiling from ear to ear.

 

She slumped her backpack onto my bed telling me how she got a lot of compliments from her classmates.

 

I had helped her get ready for school today, putting a clip to hold up her hair and putting eyeliner on her. It wasn't much but to Krystal it was everything. The excitement in her voice was enough to make me smile.

 

I nodded my head to her as she climbed onto the bed with me, laying her head on my lap. I went back to reading my book.

 

" Read it to me " she said in a hushed whisper, closing her eyes. I ran my hand through her hair, taking out all the knots in her hair.

" Add 2/3's of flou- " Krystal interupted me asking " Unnie, what the hell are you reading? " we both laughed.

 

" Unnie is studying more food to cook for you " I smiled at the sight of Krystal closing her eyes back again trying to rest.

 

She turned her body facing my stomach before snuggling up against it. Her muffled ' thank you ' brought an even bigger smile on my face.

 

" Unnie, why are you so skinny? "

 

 

 

It wasn't until a month that I noticed.

 

 

" Soojungie, come eat! " I yell from the kitchen, Krystal was in her room doing only god knows what.

 

I flipped the last pancake before putting it on my own plate.

 

Pancakes were Krystal's favorite.

 

She came into the kitchen, hugging me by the side before sitting down. She looked graceful in her uniform, her lipgloss taking away the attention from her slightly pale face.

 

" Soojung-ah " I started " You don't look too well " I took my apron off and put my hand on her forehead.

 

I furrowed my eyebrows, she didn't feel hot. " I'm fine " she said with a smile on her face, brushing my hand away.

 

Has she always been this thin? " Lets eat unnie, I'm starving. " she said changing the subject.

 

I sat down, deciding wether or not to bring it back up. Krystal starting digging in her food before looking up at me wondering why I haven't touched my food.

 

I smiled at her, picking up my fork, eating some eggs. " Soojung-ah " I called out.

 

She hummed in response. " You need to eat more. You're getting too skinny. "

 

She put her fork down, the sound of it hitting it against her plate, ringing in my ear.

 

" Skinny is good, isn't it? "

 

 

 

Sign

 

 

 

I walked down the halls of our house, holding a laundry basket in my arms.

 

I walked to Krysal's room, wondering if she needed anything washed. I was about to knock when I noticed her door was crack.

 

Before I opened the door I noticed she was standing on something. She was smiling to herself and then stepped off.

 

It was then I opened the door, she stood there flustered, probably hoping I didn't see anything.

 

I pretended I didn't.

 

" Soojung do you need anything washed? " she shook her head. I took a glance at the thing she was standing on.

 

She was weighing herself?

 

It's normal for a girl her age to be self-concious about her weight, right?

 

Right?

 

 

 

Sign 2

 

 

 

" Soojungie, come eat! " I yelled calling for Krystal to come to the kitchen.

 

" I'm not hungry! " she yelled back from her room.

 

" Soojung come eat with unnie! " I yelled back at her, setting the plates up for us.

 

" I already ate! "

 

I was gulible enough to buy it.

 

 

 

Chicken Alfredo

 

 

 

I was starting to worry about Krystal.

 

She was too skinny, though she tried hiding it from me by wearing baggy clothes around the house.

 

I didn't want to think anything of it, finding myself in denial about the whole situation.

 

This time I would force her to eat infront of me. We sat on our couch with our food on the coffee table. " Eat " I said grabbing the plate and placing it in her hands.

 

She didn't take her eyes off the t.v. I'm not hungry, a quote that I have grown to hear from her.

 

" Do it for me " I said giving her puppy eyes, she rolled her eyes playfully before taking a bite, giving me a forced smile.

 

I got a phone call from a certain Miyoung, she said she needed me, but I was hesitate leaving Krystal by herself.

 

 

 

Miyoung

 

 

 

" Tiff " I said already trailing off, letting a sigh out from my lips.

 

" I think Krystal is sick " she had walked through the door with a cup of water in her hand.

 

" Why do you think that? " she asked handing me the cup. I took a sip, a sigh of relief escaping at the cold feeling of the ice cubes hitting my teeth.

 

I sat deciding how I should let it out. " She hasn't been eating " I said running my hand through my hair.

 

She sat beside me and leaned her head on my shoulder. " Maybe she has an eating disorder? " Krystal wouldn't have a eating disorder, I just know she wouldn't.

 

I shook my head denying it all. " Maybe she's on a diet? " Of course. Krystal is on a diet!

 

She's not sick. She doesn't have a eating disorder. She's on a diet.

 

Krystal is on a diet.

 

 

 

Chicken Alfredo 2

 

 

 

 

I opened the door slowly, afraid I might wake up Krystal if I was too noisy.

 

I the lights, kicking my shoes off in the living room and setting my stuff on the couch.

 

I walked into the kitchen to wash the dishes from earlier, on the counter was Krystal's almost finished plate.

 

I smiled at the thought of Krystal eating again.

 

I grabbed the plate to throw out the rest in the trash bin. My eyebrows furrowed at the sight of chicken alfredo in the trash bin.

 

Krystal didn't eat.

 

 

December 23, 2013

 

 

 

 I stood outside of my house, looking at the snow that started to fall from the sky.

 

The first snow was mine and Krystal's favorite thing about winter. I ran into our house, excited to tell Krystal. " Soojung! " I yelled, getting our snow boots together.

 

" It's snowing! "

 

Silence.

 

Has Krystal not come back from school?

 

I looked up at the wall clock, it was 4:30. Krystal should've been back already. " Soojung?! " I yelled again walking up the stairs to her room.

 

" Soojung? " I whispered, opening the already cracked door.

 

I gasped in surprise at the sight of Krystal.

 

My baby sister, Krystal Jung, hung herself.

 

My baby sister, Jung Soo Jung, died December 23, 2013.

 

My baby sister, at the age of 16, committed suicide.

 

My baby sister.

 

My baby sister.

 

 

 

 


 

 

Here's the first part.

 

This chapter was dedicated to Krystal to show the relationship of the jungsisters.

 

The last chapter will about jessica's and yuri's meet and the reason for Krystal doing.