8/

One Last Chance

May 2006

“That is a completely ridiculous question!”

“How!? It's something that's perfectly logical to ask.”

“You are asking me to pick between eating only hamburgers or chicken for the rest of my life hyung, how is that in any sense of the word logical??”

The two dissolved into a fit of giggles, lying on the large bed together. For the filming of their new variety program they had been taken to a hostel for the week and split into two groups of three, given half of the house each. After Kangin made himself at home on the couch, Sungmin and Leeteuk had retreated for the night to their shared bedroom.

The pair had settled themselves on the large bed, and although they knew that they should've been resting for the next day of filming, the opportunity to share a room for the first time since they were trainees proved to make both boys rather hyperactive, talking through the late night and into the early hours of the morning.

“Stop making excuses and just answer the question Sungminnie~”

“Hamburgers” Sungmin snorted, “how is that even a debate hamburgers are like, the best food on the planet.”

“Says you. Last time I tried to make you some you refused to finish them!”

“The key word in that sentence is 'tried' hyung. You tried, and you failed.”

Sungmin giggled at the scandalised look on his hyungs face, Leeteuk grasping his chest in mock horror.

“Excuse you! I am a cooking master and those hamburgers were to die for. Don't blame me if you don't have proper taste buds.”

“Hyung the patties were basically charcoal!! But no, you're right, its MY taste buds that were the issue, how wrong I've been.”

Leeteuk smirked, nodding at his amused dongsaeng “at least you know when you're terribly, terribly wrong.”

The pair stared at each other for a minute, waiting for who would make the first move before Sungmin attacked, grabbing one of the pillows and hitting Leeteuk directly in the face. As Sungmin let out an evil cackle Leeteuk retaliated, grabbing a pillow of his own and leaping at Sungmin, who shrieked as his hyung fell on top of him.

The two continued to hit each other, laughing and screaming before there was a loud bang on the wall, startling them. After a shout from Kangin to 'quiet the hell down unless they REALLY wanted to get attacked' the pair looked at each other, the older sticking out his hand with a grin.

“Truce Sungminnie?”

“I suppose” Sungmin sighed, taking the outstretched hand gently “you are an old man I should've gone easy on you.” he giggled, being hit one more time as his hyung got up, turning off the bedroom light before jumping into the bed beside him.

“ha ha ha very funny. You need to stop calling me an old man before you become an old man yourself mister!”

“If you say so~” Sungmin replied, waiting for Leeteuk to properly settle under the covers.

“Goodnight Sungminnie!”

“Night Teukie hyung... you'll need all the beauty rest you can get at your age.”

 

---

 

[DAY 01]

When Sungmin awoke the next morning, sunlight streaming in through the gaps in the blinds, he couldn't believe that the man he loved was still in his arms. Stopping to pinch himself [he must still be dreaming, there is no way he's this lucky] Sungmin admired the man next to him, still asleep after wearing himself out the night before.

Leeteuk let out slow breaths, face scrunching up at the incoming light, making Sungmin let out a quiet giggle, before his eyes blinked open. He looked around slowly, confusion on his face until his gaze settled on the man beside him. The confusion made way for contentedness, small smile gracing his face as his eyes lit up with emotion.

“Hey Sungminnie...”

“...hey yourself Teukie hyung.”

The two remained as they were on the bed, staring at each other as the smiles on their faces continued to grow wider. As the two of them started to subtly lean in towards each other, a loud bang startled them, both of them jumping apart and looking towards the bedroom door.

“Minnie hyung are you going to help with brea -- oh. oOHH.” Ryeowook stopped mid sentence, eyes wide on the close pair in bed together. The three of them remained silent for a moment, all looking at each other before Ryeowook chuckled, suddenly realising what exactly was going on inside the room.

Sungmin turned a deep shade of red, glaring at the amused maknae who remained in the doorway before a larger figure appeared behind him. Kangin let out a loud groan, immediately grabbing their dongsaeng, growling out a rough apology as Ryeowook smirked, wriggling his eyebrows suggestively [to Sungmin's complete mortification]. 

As the door slammed shut on Ryeowook's gleeful face Sungmin coughed, breaking the spell between them as Leeteuk hurried to remove himself from the bed. While Leeteuk moved about Sungmin looked down, feeling more than embarrassed at being caught in such a compromising situation. As he chastised himself for being so stupid a hand crossed into his vision, Sungmin looked up to see Leeteuk staring down on him with a soft smile, holding his hand out.

Taking the outstretched hand Sungmin was gently pulled from the bed, before  Leeteuk dragged him out of the room, Sungmin following with a small smile, into the kitchen, where a smug Ryeowook sat, watching the two of them like a hawk as they sat down to eat beside each other.

They spent the rest of the day together, unspoken feelings wrapping around them as they sat around the dorm, talking about both everything and nothing at once. As the day passed Leeteuk's mood continued to rise, all doubts and fears of his enlistment seemingly gone in the endless presence of Sungmin.

Soon day made way for night, and as Sungmin watched the sun set outside the dorm window, he was hit with the realisation that it was now or never for him - and if he wanted to do something like Ryeowook and Kangin had suggested, he had to do something soon. Taking a deep breath Sungmin made his way over to the couch, quietly gesturing for his hyung to follow him. 

Leeteuk immediately stood up, sending an apologetic smile to Donghae [whose own smile widened as he watched his two hyungs awkwardly shuffle around each other] before he followed Sungmin out into the hall,  the pair finding themselves sitting quietly on Sungmin's bed, reminiscent of their situation earlier that morning.

They sat in silence, both unsure of what to say before Sungmin let out a sharp exhale, playing with his fingers are he tried to figure out what he wanted to say to his hyung, letting out a low chuckle.

“Sungminnie...?”

“You'd think the fact that I've practised this so much I'd know exactly what to say, and yet here I am without an any clue where to start.” 

A gentle caress on his cheek made Sungmin look up, Leeteuk gently his face with a soft smile. Leeteuk looked at him, eyes shining at the younger man's nervous expression.

“How about... you just start at the beginning?” Returning the smile Sungmin looked up, years of pent up love and desire bubbling up inside of him before it started to overflow, until the young man couldn't stop himself from letting it all out.

He recounted all the times that they'd spent together through the years – from the day they'd randomly met in the halls of the old SM building, to the magical day of their debut and beyond. He spoke of the intense highs and soul crushing lows of fame, the good times and the bad that they'd gone through together, both coming out the other end stronger. He described the times he'd laughed and cried, each and every crazy path taken in his life leading straight back to his precious Teukie hyung.

“Every single step I've ever taken in this crazy life I lead you've always been right beside me, and after everything we've been through I just can't help but see you as... more. Honestly, I wish for nothing more than to have you always next to me, as MY Teukie hyung. I dream of you being the last thing I see at night and the first thing I get to see in the morning. I would give up the world for you hyung, and it might sound completely crazy but I'm in love with you – I've been in love with you for so long hyung – and I just needed you to know before you left.”

Taking a deep breath Sungmin looked at his hyung, Leeteuk's face unreadable as he continued to stare at him. Sungmin closed his eyes, ultimately expecting the worst [he knew Ryeowook and Kangin were insane why did he ever think to trust them about this!?] before there was a sudden pressure on his lips and oh, Leeteuk was kissing him.

Sungmin was frozen for just a moment before he returned the kiss, pressing himself firmly against his hyung as they sat together, lips joined in a gentle first kiss. When they broke apart Leeteuk gave him a bright smile, with his dimple clearly showing, [Sungmin's favourite smile] as he pulled Sungmin into a tight hug.

“Would you believe me if I said I've waited so long to hear you say that that I can't believe this is actually happening?”

Laughter bubbled out of Sungmin, the man feeling like he was on cloud nine as he held onto his hyung tightly.

“I love you Sungminnie. Always have and always will so don't you ever forget it.” Leeteuk whispered, before leaning in and pressing their lips together once more.

“I think I may owe Ryeowookie and Kangin hyung a lot for all of this”

Leeteuk just laughed.