Meeting the Boy (sort of)

LOVE NEXT DOOR
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

02

Meeting the Boy (sort of)

 

Stalking is such a strong word. Daehyun prefers to call it an intense research of an individual.

He wakes up every morning at exactly quarter to seven just to have a glimpse of the boy leaving for his early class. He loiters near the science building during noon break to see him leave the premise for a quick lunch. He spends two hours in the library every afternoon hiding behind the very first book he get hold to as he watches the other intently studying his notes. He stands by the science section running his finger along the unbelievably thick references, pretending to be interested just to have a glance of the boy as he puts back the books he used in their respective shelves. Lastly, he follows him until he disappears to his department building for his last class before heading towards the bus station and goes home.

 At the end of each day, he always questions the decisions he’s making regarding on how he spends his time on this boy and gets nothing out of it. But the fuzzy warm feeling that’s becoming a normal occurrence inside his body with the mere sight of his smiles feels so good and right, therefore, he has no regrets.

But his best friend Yongguk has a different opinion about it calling his actions an unhealthy obsession. Nicknaming him as Mr. Creepy, he goes on lecturing Daehyun about ending it before anything bad happens. Whatever it is that the male is pertaining about happening, he gives him deaf ears and reasons his way out of rationality. He never listens to him anyway, so why would he now, right?

Himchan, though, shows fascination over his ‘high school girl crush’—that’s what he called it- teasing him any given chance. He always ends up being hit by a cushion or strangled by Daehyun’s bony arms. It even ended on forbidding the male in coming to their house forever which is actually impossible since the boy has his own spare key –how come you have that? Himchan also tries the art of blackmailing Daehyun on obeying his demands on the account of keeping his mouth shut but it only concluded violently with Daehyun’s girly fighting techniques which by the way really hurt.

“that witch, I’m going to kill him real this time.” Daehyun throws his phone on the table as he huffs, angrily boring holes on the poor item. Yongguk, who took pity in the non-living thing, picks it up and places it properly on his friend’s side of the table.

“he had coffee with Youngjae this morning.” Daehyun announces weakly with a frown but the tight grip he has on his spoon says otherwise. It’s like he’s imagining the handle as Himchan’s neck and it makes Yongguk cringes. “and have the guts to send me a picture as proof. He’s really asking for it.”

“he’s just being friendly.”

“no, he’s doing it on purpose. He’s doing it to annoy me.”

Yongguk smirks before stuffing a piece of pork dumpling to his hungry mouth. “and he’s doing a really, really good job..”

Daehyun deeply sighs as he toys with his untouched set of dumplings, his annoyance slowly drifting away. “eotteoke? It’s been a week and still, nothing happens.”

“I’m glad you’re aware of it, Daehyun.” Yongguk drops his chopsticks and wipes the sauce dripping in the side of his lips. “if you just stop being Mr. Creepy, and actually start a real conversation with him then maybe, something might happen.”

“Easy for you to say. I don’t know how to..it’s..it’s complicated”

“you’re speaking like you never..ever done this before.”Daehyun narrows his eyes as he lets go of the silver utensil. Yongguk raises his brows as he crosses his arms against his chest, resting his back comfortably on the chair.

“Fine. I do have some experiences..but really this is different. He’s different.” Daehyun whines. “you know me. If I want something, I go for it. But this..i don’t know why I’m like this. It’s weird”

Yongguk shrugs before eliciting a guttural laugh while shaking his head in amusement. He picks up his utensils and resumes his interrupted dinner.

“I’m serious, Gukkie. I don’t know what to do.”

“Approach him then talk. Talk like how you always do with people you took interest with. Simple.”

Daehyun groans as he hangs his head low. He talks under his breath, something that his friend doesn’t need to know when—

“How about..” He hears the boy spoke on a low voice. “Hi! Youngjae, right? We live on the door across yours. Yongguk, by the way.”

Daehyun lifts his head with a scowl. “that’s really lame.”

“uhm, Hi.”

Daehyun literally freezes as a voice he definitely knows who comes from behind him. It solidifies his speculation when the boy he had on mind emerges from his side, clad in a simple hoodie and a denim pants.

“So..Youngjae, it’s nice finally meeting you. I mean we see you from afar but really never had the chance to say hi.” Daehyun cringes as the word afar was given an unnecessary emphasis. He continues to concentrate on that small mole on his best friend’s forehead as the said lad chats casually with the topic of his dilemma these past weeks.

“oh yeah. Himchan told me about you guys. Yongguk, right?” Yongguk reaches his hand for the shake. “and..Daehyun?”

Daehyun’s neck might have cracked as he turns abruptly at the mention of his name. He looks up at the boy who is giving him one of his smiles; the one that originally had Daehyun mesmerized and obsessed. He’s too immersed on admiring the boy’s beautiful smile that he fails to see the hand being offered to him waiting to be accepted.

“Haha. He’s really shy. Hey, Daehyun.”Daehyun snaps out of trance and faces his friend with confusion etched on his face. Yongguk subtly shakes his head before looking back at the standing boy. “so you’re here to eat. Would you like to join us?”

“uhm, actually..yeah.” Youngjae replies shyly. “but..is it ok?”

“yeah.” Yongguk answers quickly before looking to his best friend who seems to be in some kind of shock. “Daehyun?”

Daehyun has things running in his mind at the very moment. He still doesn’t recover from the surprise appearance of his neighbor and the fact that Youngjae knows his name, neither the smile he directly sent him a while ago. So when the offer of eating with them somehow reaches his ears and into his understanding, his mind goes overdrive- a really dangerous state for Daehyun’s brain- and he loses touch of his own thinking and just blurts out something really stupid.

“NO, YOU CAN”T!”

There is a pregnant silence clouding within the four sitter booth where three young adult boys are currently portraying a good example of a still image. No one dares to move or speak in that second of stillness until Yongguk finally decided to take the difficult task by clearing his throat louder than intended.

 “I-I” Daehyun’s throat seems to be parched as it becomes so difficult to even utter a single word. He watches the uneasiness on Youngjae’s action as he tries to look unaffected by the rejection.

“It’s fine.” Youngjae says sheepishly, rubbing the back of his neck. “actually, I already ordered for take away.” He lifts his hand and shows them the brown paper bag containing his food. He bows and bids his goodbye before he turns on his heels and walks out of the shop, really fast.

 “well, that’s..awkward.” Yongguk announces after making sure their neighbor is out of sight.

“what did I do?”

“you said no.”

“Why did I say that?”

Yongguk lifts his gaze, unamused by the question. “How

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter