Chapter 4

Once or Twice
  ▬ chapter 
 four
 
jongin

“Press play” the girl upfront said with much confidence. She probably prepared for this, she knew this was coming and it amazes me how ready she is. The music started playing and everyone started cheering. It only took a few seconds for her to get the beat, (click here for the dance) but she gets to start smoothly. She wasn’t smiling which made her look cooler.  Her moves were sharp and powerful yet still graceful. The way her body sways with her hair, it was nice. She had skills.

The dance was done with duration of less than a minute. It was too bad but I realized that I’m going to start my Monday with these people in this class until the end of the year or the 3 months my mom told me about so I’d see her dance often especially with how passionate she is about this and about college. All of the other students especially her taller friend clapped for her with much enthusiasm.

My hands were too warm in my pocket so I couldn’t clap, I do not bother to. “Oppa” Yura, who’s not Soojung after all, called me. I didn’t face her; the other girl, Miss Jung, was looking at me on the way back here. Her faced looked like she thinks that she outshined me, the nerve of that girl.

“Call a next person, Miss Jung.” The teacher said. Krystal looked at the teacher with rage. “What? Won’t you criticize that?” her lips formed a small “o”.

“Oh,” the teacher folded his arms and continued. “That was good.”

Krystal doesn’t look satisfied with his judgment. Honestly, I am not as well. For a teacher, that was a lame reaction. “Kai, front, now.” She demanded.

She said my name. That’s a first. I thought she hated me so much that she doesn’t bother saying it. She went back to the crowd as I went forward. We passed by each other and when we reached to the point where we’re side by side, facing in opposite directions, she whispered: “Good luck. You’re gonna need it.”

I smirked at her, still eyes up front. “They don’t call me a dancing machine for nothing.” And with that, she sassed her way back to her friend and I released a small chuckle.

I took a deep breathe through my nose before I face the crowd. The girls started squeaking even before I make my first move. My ears started hearing music. Here goes nothing.(click here for the dance)

My hands started to move, next goes my body. The same feeling I have every time a song comes up; it was the feeling where my body’s veins have nothing but rhythm and power. Something I couldn’t control, it was a part of me that I loved about. I become my own dance. I wasn’t in it for the fans, nor the grade that the teacher would give me. I just do what I love.

Every move, I sync in with the music. My body throbs, my arms swing. Sharp movements, slowly and surely. And I finished off with a spin. Then there it was, the fans but only one caught my attention. She wasn’t a fan. She was just standing there. Her arms were folded; she was looking into my soul, mad or something. She was resting her back on the wall, feeling like she’s the queen of dancing. I wouldn’t make her my queen.

The teacher claps and hooks his arm around me. “Good job. See, everyone! This man serves as an inspiration to us dancers, understand?”

Everyone nodded and clapped; I could even see Yura producing the loudest clapping sound. And if there was clap, there’s always a “boo”. Although she wasn’t voicing it out, I could see it through her glared that could murder me and leave me bleeding on the floor.

I went back to where I was before; still standing and watching other students perform. After the last student had perform, the teacher stood up and said: “Okay, everyone, get yourselves a partner.”

Everyone began making a fuss; girls were looking at me but Yura’s haunting glare to them girls was so terrifying that no one dares to come near me. I should go solo. I feel the boys getting pissed. I wish I had guy friends here; I can’t wait till Chanyeol goes to this university. Everyone else gets their partners; Miss Jung got her tall friend and I guess I’m stuck with Yura.

“Oppa, let’s be partners” she clung unto my left arm. On my right, Miss Jung was a few meters away; still laying her back on the wall, relaxed and all.

“Sure.” I said because who else would be my partner not unless someone brave out there was to confront Yura. Miss Jung here chuckled a bit. “YinYang?” she called out.

Everyone giggles with her tiny joke. She thinks that’ll offend me? How cute. Instead of me, Yura got irritated and comes forward to Miss Jung. “Yah! What did you say!?” she shouts. I looked at the teacher who was too busy setting the audio equipment up to notice Yura shouting.

“What? Vanilla’s going to protect her chocolate?” she gave the iest smirk to my partner. But before the fight starts officially, the taller friend of miss Jung butted in and came between them. Aw. It would have been nice to see two girls fight on the first day, especially one who likes me so much and one who hates me with her whole life.

“Stop this. Before the teacher notices.” She looked at the two girls, pushing Krystal away from Yura with her hand and holding a bottle of Gatorade on the other.

“At least WE get to audition in any company we want to and become famous.” Yura yelled, throwing a hissy fit.

Out of the blue, the tall friend shot a glare at Yura. I tilted my head, listening and observing. What did Yura say for her to glare like that?

Miss Jung turned red with her rage. I could tell she’s very pissed. “Foul play.” She snatched the drink from her friend’s hand and splashed it on Yura.

“Whoa!” the guys cried out in chorus. And the girls had their shocked face on. I looked around, noticing that no one was stopping them. This is a fun school.

It was fun to watch not until the teacher faced the students hearing the cry from the boys. “What’s happening? What’s going on?” he went in between the girls.  “Miss jung!” he said after looking at Yura’s contempt face covered with grape flavored energy drink. “Go get her cleaned up.” He said and a few girls got Yura out of the room.

“And you! Library duty for 2 hours after school!” he pointed at Krystal. He was pretty upset. Miss Jung’s face was in big shock. It must feel bad being punished on the first day. Serves you, right.

“What the ?” she said in English. She thought she’s safe with English; but unluckily, the teacher understood it and had a “you’re in trouble, Miss” face again. “Miss Krystal Jung, 4 hours!” he declared and went to fix the audio equipment for the second time. So it’s Krystal. She may be an American or half.

“Ah, this is annoying.” She puffed and snapped a death stare at me. “I blame you for this!” she mouthed at me.

I chortled a bit while rolling my eyes at her. She was being childish. But what got me stuck at the situation a while ago was what Yura said that made Sulli and Krystal 10 times madder than they were. So much that Krystal even threw her friend’s drink at her.

 

 
 
 

  
 

 

 

 

 

krystal

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

After school, I went straight to the library and finish this punishment as soon as I can. I ran as fast as I can. My sister is going to kill me if she finds out that I got in trouble on the first day.  She would let me sleep on the terrace again for sure.

Once I arrived at the venue, I asked the librarian what I was supposed to do. “You see those stacks of books?” she smiled and pointed at a lot of stacks of book next to her table. I nod with my jaw opened. I can already hear the horror task I was supposed to do.

“You’re going to have to put those back to it’s section. It’s labeled there so it won’t be so hard for you.” She said as if it was an easy thing to do.

Is she kidding me? This is going to take forever. 8 stacks of books; each stack is half of my height. Is this intended for me? Was this prepared for punishments? It’s the first day, shouldn’t they fix the library for Pete’s sake?

I sighed and got my cart to put the books and place them in their rightful area. “This would be fun if the library played music or if I brought earphones.” I whined as I put the first book back to the shelf.

On my way to the other side of the room where the second book was supposed to be on, I saw Minho gazing up on me while seated on the chair with arms both on the table. His palm was on his cheek and his smile was sheepish as ever. And there, it hit me. I got an idea. I felt much like a genius for being to think of this.

“Minho oppa,” I called him with my cute high-pitched voice. “Can you help me with something?” I sat in front of him and circled my fingers on his free hand on the table.

“Sure! What is it, Krys?” he was eager. This would be easy.

I looked at the cart filled with books. “Well, I’m very tired. I had a long day but I need to put all these books back at it’s shelf.”

He looked at the cart as well and looked at me with pity. “Aw, my Krys is tired? Well I can do it for you if you want.” He suggested.

Bingo. “You will? I mean, you don’t really have to. You might be busy.” I looked down, acting as if I was innocent. Fiddling with him is as easy as pie.

“Look, I don’t want you getting stressed. Go home. I’ll do this.” He stood up and held the cart’s handle. I smiled widely and stood up as well. “Thank you, oppa! I will definitely date you sometime.” I held his arm.

Minho turned crimson and rubbed the back of his neck. “That would be great.” He said with much coyness.

“Okay, see you tomorrow then!” I waved bye and ran away from this deathtrap called “library”.

While closing the door, someone wasn’t looking at his or her way. We both fell down after bumping into each other’s bodies. “Hey! Can you watch out where you are going for once?”

That voice. The same voice I heard over and over again from the 3 classes today. I looked at the guy. His jawline was fine, his lips were plump but soft looking and his eyes were the sleepy kind of attractive. Wait, this man. He’s Kai.

My blood began rushing quickly. I had to bump onto him again. Why is world so cruel to me? I got irritated again and stood up. “Once or twice?” I said with an obvious annoyance.

Kai looks up to me with squinted eyes. “Your bones are so—” he paused when he realizes that it was me that he bumped into. “Oh hello there.” He smiled which annoyed me more.  His presence simply makes me want to puke.

He stands up and says, “Watch us perform tomorrow, okay?”

“Over my dead body!” I stuck my tongue out and stomped away.