An Answered Prayer

An Answered Prayer

 

“Daddy, stop crying!”

I turned around as soon as I heard her shriek. I saw my dad slowly getting his hanky and wiped the sides of his eyes. He was getting emotional again. My mom was the coolest though. She remained calm from the day she heard the big news up until that moment. 

Then I looked at her.

My baby.

Back when we were kids, we used to play our doll houses together. We never grew apart. I always made sure  that she stayed beside me. Even with my career path, she had always been there. She received her right spot and I was so proud of her. She deserved the attention and happiness.

When I first saw her curling on her bed, crying her heart out, I was damn mad. No one had the right to hurt my baby.  But our mother stopped me, telling me that it was part of growing up. She needed to experience pain and learn from it.

Her last break-up tested my patience so bad. I tried to calm myself but when I saw how she got hospitalized after not eating anything or getting sleep; I lost it. All hell broke loose. I went to their dorm. I was almost screaming when I faced his leader who happened to be our maknae’s husband.

“He’s sick. He has been sick for a week now. Do you still want to talk to him?”

I realized he was hurt too. I shook my head and left the place instantly. Then I found myself inside the church, praying and begging for my baby’s happiness.

“Make her happy please… I rather be alone than see her hurting like that. Let them be happy. They love each other.”

I wept so hard but He answered my prayer.

“Sica eonni?”

I smiled before turning towards Seohyun. Her baby bump was pretty obvious. She was two months pregnant with their second child. There was this undeniable glow in her that started even before their fake marriage ended. Seohyun’s story would always be a fairy tale to all of us. How she met her prince, how they faced everything and how they were living a happy ever after life.

“Are you crying?”

“Tears of joy. I just can’t believe this day will come.”

“Me too. But you know, they deserve this.”

I nodded and hugged her tight. It must be my raging hormones that I got so emotional. Seohyun wiped my cheeks and cupped my face.

“Later, we will accompany you there. Yonghwa oppa said we need to visit him before our flight to Italy tomorrow.”

“Thank you. I know he will be happy seeing you both and the kids.”

“Jaehyun is still looking for him.  He keeps on asking about oppa.”

“Someday… he will understand what happened…that his favorite uncle already left.”

“Eonni, I’m here. We are here for you. Please remember that all the time.”

“I know. Really thank you for everything, Seohyun~ah.”

I grasped her hand tightly and pulled her again in a tighter embrace.  

Then we heard Yuri’s voice, telling us to get ready for entourage. I motioned Seohyun to go first, forwarding my steps to my baby after.

“Hey…”

“Eonni! Where have you been? I thought you went home.”

She was blabbering in English again. I chuckled and tapped her cheek lightly.

“Baby, listen to me. After this, everything might change. Another round of trials may come but promise me, stay with him. Never let him go. Make him happy every day. Be a doting mother to your future sons and daughters. Hmmm?

“I will. I promise.”

“That’s good. Fighting!”

She pulled me close, her shoulders were shaking… and so mine.

**

“And now I pronounce you, husband and wife! You may kiss the bride. ”

Loud screaming and happy squeals filled the area. I clapped my hands and smiled to the newly-weds. Minhyuk bent down and kissed Soojung fully on her lips. Minutes past and they were still busy in front of us.

“Aish, get a room!” Jungshin complained causing another round of laughter.

I looked at Minhyuk and my sister. They looked so blessed. I went out the chapel silently and stared at the sky.

“I lost my husband and I thought it was unfair. But then I remembered my prayer and I realized I asked for it. Thank you for giving Krystal this life I always wanted her to have.”

I slowly walked back only to find Jonghyun on the entrance door. He handed me a white hyacinth.

“Let’s live happily after this day too, noona.”

I nodded and linked my arms on his.