VI

I Choose To Love You

Over the next few weeks, Woori and I spent every free second we had together. Often, she would come to my apartment, try to cook me something, and feed it to me when I came home from practice. How did she get in my apartment, you may ask? 

 

That sneaky Baekhyun gave her a copy of the key. 

 

"Baekhyun," I snapped one night after Woori left, "Are you leaving practice early to let Woori in?" 

 

"Are you kidding?  I gave her a copy of the key. It's about time you had a woman that cared about you." He grinned as he tucked himself in bed and pulled the covers over his head so I wouldn't see his evil horns coming out. 

 

Regardless, I was thankful. 

 

Baekhyun was right. It was nice to know that someone would let me lean on them and they wouldn't complain. In fact, it was a blessing. So many nights I came home exhausted from practice, but Woori would try to relieve me. Even if I didn't eat her food, she would put it in a container and forget about it for the night. She would give me a hug, sit with me on my bed and rub my back as she gently demanded I tell her what was stressing me out. If anything, the back rubs were nice. 

 

Christmas approached rapidly and I wasn't sure what to buy her.  She wasn't picky; I was. I wanted to get something of sentimental value, but nothing was good enough. Baekhyun patted me on the shoulder one day at work after noticing a deep sigh I unknowingly exhaled. 

 

"Get couple rings," he suggested. 

 

Bingo. 

 

I knew that Woori wanted something that was sort of unique to Korea. I also knew that in the USA, couples don't wear matching rings until they get engaged. But here, in Korea, couples wear them freely. 

 

I clapped my hands in ridiculous happiness and set off for a jewelry store after work. I'll be honest; Woori had been the best girlfriend ever, but I didn't want to buy her something totally expensive. After all, we'd only dated for about a month. That month of dating was enough for me to shell out $100 on a set of couple rings. I grinned exuberantly and skipped back home. Then, I hid the rings in a drawer and envisioned the joy in Woori's eyes when I would give her a ring. 

 

All there was left to do was wait until the evening when I could give her the ring. 

 

"Focus on your breathing!  Feel it in your stomach!" 

 

"Your pronunciation is wrong. Try saying the L in "flower" like the in 라면 (Ramyun.) And the F is a very soft . "

 

"Do both at the same time! Arrasseo?" 

 

"Put those long legs to work! Don't lazily kick them around!" 

 

"Timing! I know it's easy for your big feet to hit the floor fast, but keep them on beat!" 

 

"Reach out with more emotion, like you're actually grabbing something!" 

 

"Again!" 

 

For some reason, I was doing a terrible job of being a trainee that December 23rd. I pretended that it was just because the instructors wanted to work us hard before our two day break. It was enough to get me through the day. 

 

When I returned home, I was welcomed by the smell of chicken flavored Ramyun. 

 

"No special food tonight?" I asked, somewhat relieved. Woori needed some practice with Korean spices. She had almost killed me multiple times by putting too much pepper in her dinners, but I tolerated them and playfully poked fun at her. 

 

"I didn't feel like it," she shrugged. She picked up a bowl and brought it to the pot. Then, she used a fork to scoop up enough to fill the bowl and put it at my place at the table. She still wasn't good at using chopsticks. As I crouched down, she put her elbows on the table and her hands under her chin. She was intensely studying how I handled my chopsticks. 

 

"You're never going to learn just by watching me," I mumbled through my food. She idly nodded and continued watching me. I laughed and patted the floor beside me.  "Come here." 

 

She crawled over to my side and pulled her knees up, wrapping her arms around them. I frowned and made a clanging noise with my chopsticks in the bowl. 

 

"Yah, Choi Woori, what full blooded Korean doesn't know how to use chopsticks?" 

 

"One who was raised in America?" 

 

"Weak excuse," I jokingly hissed. She nudged me and I pretended to be offended.  "You think you can nudge me? What right do you have? You can't even use chopsticks!" 

 

"You can't teach a girl how to use chopsticks!" She retorted. 

 

"What?" I gasped. "You're a girl? I would've never guessed." She punched me. "What type of girl punches her Oppa?" 

 

"You're not my Oppa; you're an ahjussi!" She yelled. I put my hand to my chest and frowned. 

 

"This child thinks I'm an old man," I wheezed. She laughed and poked my sternum. 

 

"Stop playing around and eat your food." 

 

"Feed me~" I begged. I tried my best to infuse it with aegyo. 

 

"Who's the child now?" She laughed. She grabbed her fork and stabbed it into my ramyun. "Say 'ah~'" 

 

"Ah~" I hummed. She stuffed the noodles in my mouth and I ate them with a small grin. "Delicious." 

 

"Now feed the rest to yourself, you dog," she mumbled. That was an actual Korean insult, and it stung a little. I decided to make her pay. 

 

"I'm a dog?" I asked. She nodded with her eyes glued to the ground and I scooted closer to her. "I'm a dog. It takes one to know one." 

 

She glared at me with a hint of playfulness in her eyes. The hint wasn't very bright, though. 

 

"We must be nice dogs, right?" I asked her. She scrunched her eyebrows in confusion.  "Guess what nice dogs do together?" Her eyes widened and she began scooting away. "They play!" 

 

In an instant, I pounced on top of Woori. She had begun crawling away, so I was draped over her back. She tried to pull out from under me, but my weight crushed her to the ground. She rolled underneath me and pushed against my chest with all her strength. Impressively, she lifted me a foot or so off of her body. She used the counter to kick off of and began sliding away. I scrambled to my knees and crawled ahead of her, positioning my hands above her shoulders. She looked at me, dazed, then scrunched up into a ball in the space that separated us. She rolled out from underneath me and started to rise to her feet before I grabbed her waist and pulled her into my lap. 

 

"No!" She protested. I locked my arms around her while she continued to fidget. Finally, she quit struggling against me and sat lifelessly in my arms, defeated. 

 

"I did not just watch that," I heard a familiar voice in the doorway say. I turned my head to see Baekhyun in my side vision.  I turned back to Woori, who was blushing so much she could've become a deep red rose.  I decided to tease her a little more. 

 

"I'm afraid you did," I cooed as I grabbed the back of Woori's head and rubbed our noses together. She hated PDA in front of my friends. She pushed off of me and grabbed Baekhyun's bowl. 

 

"No need, I already ate," he said. She nodded and grabbed her fork. Then, she ate the remaining Ramyun. Baekhyun laughed.  "Look, Chanyeol. You've upset her so much that she's stuffing her face and glaring at you." 

 

Truthfully, if daggers could fly out of eyes, I would've been dead. 

 

"I guess she's so mad that she won't forgive me," I sighed.  She took a sip of water without showing any interest in what I said. "I guess I won't give her her Christmas present tonight." Finally, she looked up. Curiosity filled her face and her eyes lit up. 

 

"But... I don't have yours with me," she mumbled apologetically. I grabbed her hand and squeezed it. 

 

"I'm spending the next two whole days with you. You can give it to me then. But I want to give you yours now," I pleaded. She nodded and I flashed a look at Baekhyun, signaling for him to leave. 

 

"I just got home, bro. I'm not going anywhere," he told me. I smacked my hand to my head and ran my fingers through my hair. 

 

"Then... Go to the bathroom for a long time," I gently demanded. He frowned but agreed. 

 

"Fine. But I get the 'Best Hyung Ever' award." 

 

I winked at him and he slowly disappeared behind the closing bathroom door. 

 

Woori's hand stayed in mine as I dragged her over to the side of my bed that my dresser drawers were close to. I opened the drawer, dug around for the box, and quickly sat on it before she could see what it was. I anxiously coughed and began a speech. 

 

"You know, Woori, in my two months of knowing you, I must say, you are fantastic." She grinned at my words and I continued. "I remember how cute you were, afraid of Baekhyun and me. And I remember how cool you were, rescuing me from..." I hadn't told her about my ex yet. "From that drunkard. You were sweet to take me into your home and serve me tea. You were brave in asking me on a date-"

 

"It wasn't a date-"

 

"And enjoying it with me. You were scared when we rode the rail car, but kind to the old man.  Most of all, I cherish the memory of you being all those things when I first kissed you," I said in a low, semi-seductive tone. She had begun balling her hands into fists and I knew I had charmed her. "I want to remember those things even when you're away, and I want to experience more of those things with you. I want you to be half of me, so I can better understand you and..." 

 

I hesitated. I wanted to say it so badly, but I didn't know if she would trust I was serious. We hadn't dated long enough for the words to be said. 

 

I said them anyways. 

 

"So I can better love you. So, to remind me of my other half every day, I bought these."

 

I pulled the box out from beneath me and opened it up. Shakily, I took her ring and put it on her fourth finger of her left hand. Only then did I realize I didn't know her ring size. Fortunately, I was so used to holding her hand that instinct told me the right size to get her. After I slid her ring on, I proceeded to put mine on. 

 

They were simple silver bands, but they were engraved with shiny letters that said "Forever" in English.  

 

I watched Woori marvel over hers. She twisted it around her finger delicately and began to sob. 

 

"Ch...Chanyeol," she whispered. She wasn't crying; she was just at a loss for words. "Thank you. Thank you so much." She wrapped her arms around my waist and pulled me to her. She dug her face in my shoulder and I patted her head. 

 

"You're welcome," I cooed. She began rubbing my back and I couldn't help but feel accomplished. 

 

"Oppa... Thank you," she said quietly. 

 

I cracked. 

 

I sunk into her arms and wanted to remain there forever.  I gently kissed her neck and placed my hands on the small of her back. She rubbed my back a while longer before pulling away. 

 

"Thank you," she once more said. Baekhyun came out and interrupted. 

 

"Are you guys about done now?" He chided. Woori grinned and looked up into my eyes. 

 

"Just about," she hummed. "There's one thing I want to do for Oppa." 

 

It didn't sound natural. It was too good to be true. I knew she wouldn't say it often, but saying it at times like this was like candy to me. While I was on cloud nine, she decided to make me go even more insane. 

 

She lifted herself up and placed her lips on mine. 

 

In front of Baekhyun. 

 

She wrapped her arms around my neck.

 

In front of Baekhyun. 

 

Meanwhile, I was trying to figure out what had possessed my innocent little girlfriend. Also, I was enjoying it. I wrapped my arms around her as tightly as possible before I felt someone pull her off of me. 

 

"Whoa whoa whoa, Woori. What demon has possessed you and has made you act like Chanyeol?" Baekhyun asked as he separated the two of us. 

 

"Demon?" She laughed. "No, Baekhyun. Not a demon. Thankfulness. Christmas Spirit. And maybe even... Love." She shyly admitted the last part. I grinned at the floor like an idiot. 

 

"Whatever," Baekhyun said in an almost disgusted tone. It was all with good intentions, though. "I'm just... Shocked. He's always attacking you. And he sleep talks about you calling him Oppa. I don't think giving him what he wants is good for his health; he'll just want more," Baekhyun teased. 

 

Woori chuckled and gave me a wink. "Surprise attack," she said gleefully. 

 

“I think I could get used to surprise attacks,” I blurted.  Woori smirked and stood up.  She offered me her hand to pull me off the floor.  I took it and jumped up and hugged her with an idiotic smile plastered on my face.  I side-stepped while hugging her and turned her so she couldn’t see Baekhyun scowl at our couple moment.  “Let’s get you back home, Woori.”  

“Good idea.  Wouldn’t want to disgust Baekhyun anymore,” she teased.  Baekhyun chuckled and came over to pull us apart again. 

“Thanks for the hospitality.  Now get out of here, you lovesick puppies,” he ordered.  I finally pulled completely away from Woori and jabbed my right hand into her left hand.  I pushed my fingers between the spaces of her fingers and felt the ring rest between my knuckles.  I sighed in content and began walking away with Woori.  Before we exited the room, I half-turned to look at Baekhyun.  

“Hey, Baek,” I called.  He glanced up from his restarting laptop.  I smiled and gave Woori a peck on the top of her head.  He rolled his eyes and shooed me away with his hand.  “I’ll be back!”

“Don’t even think about it!”  He sarcastically hummed.  I shut the door and turned back to Woori, who was bright eyed and gleaming a beautiful smile.  

“Stop flirting with Baekhyun,” she joked.  I flicked her forehead with my free hand and dragged her behind me for a while.  About the time we were a third of the way back to her apartment, I’d slowed my pace and we were walking side-by-side. 

It was freezing outside.  Snow was dusting us over and a breeze kept dancing around our faces.  I clutched Woori’s hand tightly in hopes of warming her up.  Eventually, we walked arm-in-arm, which not only helped us stay warm but also made the mood more romantic.  

“Oh, the weather outside is frightful,” Woori sang, in English.  Fortunately, I knew the song due to English practice and the seasonal time of year.

“But the fire is so delightful,” I responded.  She smiled up at me and began to skip a little.

“And since there’s no place to go-“

“Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow,” I joined her and sang.  She continued. 

“Well, the fire is slowly dying, and my dear, we’re still goodbye-ing, as long as you love me so-“

“Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow,” I practically screamed.  She laughed and jumped in front of me.

“Stop,” she said.  I paused and looked down at her.  She curled some hair behind her ear and looked away, blushing.  “You said you wanted to understand me… And… And to,” she mumbled.  Ah, I’d flustered her.  How long had she been thinking about it?  Since I said it?

“And to love you,” I added.  She bit her lip and looked at the ground, back to me, then at a far-off object all in a matter of 3 seconds. 

“Did you mean it?”  She asked shyly.  I softly coughed and looked around in uneasiness, trying to figure out how to respond.  Of course I meant it.  I scrunched up my face, placed my elbows on her shoulders and collapsed my hands over her head.  I bent down and put our foreheads together.  

“Of course I meant it,” I said, staring into her eyes.  For a minute I mentally applauded her bravery to not look away.  I then realized that she was too scared to not stare back.  I laughed and kissed her cheek.  “You’re funny.”  She alertly spun around and began marching away.  I grabbed her wrist and slowed her down. “And cute.” 

She rolled her eyes and let my hand rest in hers again.  “You’re funny and wish you were cute,” she insulted.  I gasped and pulled her in front of me with her back against my chest.  I wrapped my arms around her neck and squeezed her hard.  

“I love you,” I whispered as I brought my lips to her hair behind her ear.  She tried to shrug me off of her and I pulled more tightly.  “I love you,” I said, loudly.  A few people started watching us.  I looked at Woori and saw her blush crazily.  “I LOVE YOU I LOVE YOU I LOVE YOU!”  I yelled. 

“Booooooo,” she called out.  “Someone, help!  I don’t know him!”

“Yes she does, and she loooooooooooves me, too!”  I shouted.  A few people looked like they were actually about to assist Woori until she started laughing.  

“Don’t be so sure,” she snapped with a grin.  

“But I LOOOOOOOOVE YOUUUUUUUUU!”  I began to sing.  She managed to slip through my arms and stumble a few feet away.  

“Good, I’m glad you do.  I think you’ve made it clear to the world.  Can you stop, please?” She begged.  Her eyes spoke differently, though.  She liked it, she just wouldn’t admit it.  Her posture suggested this, too.  

“You know what would be better?”  I questioned.  She raised an eyebrow and tilted her head.  “If you could say you love me, too.”  Her cheeks flushed and she began nervously playing with her hands.  

“Chanyeol, I… Here?  Now?” She meekly asked.  I nodded in excitement and spun around in a few quick circles like a happy dog in order to amuse her.  She kicked the snow and held her hands behind her back.  “I guess…  I guess I love you,” she mumbled.  

“What?  You guess?” I lightly scolded.  “And why are you so quiet?  Speak up!  Tell the world you love me, too!” 

“I love you,” she said in a normal voice.  I grinned with overflowing pride.  

“Louder.”

“I love you,” she softly yelled.

“Just a little more.”

“I LOVE YOU, TOO!” She shouted.  A group of teenage girls had begun watching the scene and were letting their hearts melt by watching us.  I snickered and put her arm through mine again.  

“Good enough,” I commented.  I heard the girls giggle as Woori walked with me.  She lightly scolded me under her breath.  

We eventually reached her apartment door and she sighed.  

“It’s definitely been an eventful evening,” she giggled.  She straightened up my jacket and looked up at me.  “Thank you,” she cooed just before she stood on her toes to kiss my cheek.  I pulled her into a hug and laughed.  

“When we finally kiss goodnight, how I hate going out in a storm,” I began to sing.  She wrapped her arms around me and initiated a sort of dance. 

“But if you really hold me tight, all the way home I’ll be warm!”  She sang.  Her voice was muffled because I’d stuffed her face in my scarf.  I pulled away and lightly pushed her to her door. 

“I’ll see you tomorrow, dongsaeng.”

“Bye, Oppa,” she said.  She glared at me after she put her key in the door.  “You did that on purpose.”

“What?  Called you ‘dongsaeng’ so you would call me ‘oppa?’ I would never dream of it,” I playfully lied.  She poked my ribs and frowned.  

“I’ll see you tomorrow.  Bye, Chanyeol,” she muttered. 

“Goodnight~”

“Goodnight.”

“I love you~”

“I love you too.”  She slammed the door.  I smiled at the ground before walking away.  I trudged home through the snow and told everything that had happened on the walk to Baekhyun.  He patted me on the back.  

“Use these next two days wisely, Chanyeol,” he suggested.  I looked at him in confusion.  “I won’t be here to break you guys up.  You can act as lovey-dovey as you want.”

“Oh, come on, we don’t act that lovey-dovey,” I scolded.  He shook his head and half-frowned.  

“The fact that you’re denying it is bad.  Negative man points, Chanyeol.”

“Yeah, yeah, whatever.  You’ll be in my situation some day, and you’ll be like ‘Damn, Chanyeol knew what he was talking about.’”

“Whenever that day comes, I’ll make sure to puke rainbows,” he mumbled and tucked himself into bed.  I let out a short laugh and also lie down to sleep.