Chapter 5

Closing the Distance

I quickly sit up, forgetting how close I am to the edge of the bed. I start to fall back when I feel a strong tug on my wrist. Next thing you know my face is in Sung Joon’s bare chest. I quickly push away from him but I’m still close to the edge. I almost fall again but aside from my wrist there’s now a hand pulling my waist into the middle of the bed. I turn my head to come face to face with Sung Joon. We both freeze for a few seconds, staring at each other. I blink and look away, moving back a bit to put a bit of space between the two of us. 

“Are you okay?” he asks. 

“Yeah. I’m fine. Thanks.” I say. We both look at each other again and then we both start laughing. 

When we finally calm down Sung Joon reaches over and ruffles my hair. 

“As funny as that was, don’t lay down on the edge of the bed. You can sleep comfortably. I won’t do anything.”

I nod.

“Can you at least put a shirt on then?” I ask him.

“This is how I sleep.” he says, looking down at his body. “I don’t think a girl has ever told me to put ON my clothes before.”

“So, sleeping in the same bed as another girl isn’t new for you?” I say lightly, trying to make it sound like a joke, hiding how upset I really feel. 

Sung Joon realises what he said and starts shaking his head. “No. That’s not what I meant.”

I laugh at his expression. God, he’s just too cute. “I was joking Oppa.”

Sung Joon turns serious. He puts his hand on my cheek and makes me look at him. “I don’t want you to think of me that way. Yes, I’ve had girlfriends before, and yes I’ve slept in the same bed with them, but I don’t want you to think I would do that with just any girl. Even this, coming with you to Paris, I don’t want you to think I do this for just anybody. I came here for a holiday with my friends and instead I’m here with you. I’m not saying that it’s a bad thing, it definitely isn’t. I don’t know what it is about you but you’re special. You’re not like every other fan girl. For starters, you didn’t come running up to us when you recognised us. You gave us space. You even pretended you didn’t see us.” He chuckles a bit at that. 

“I like you, Jae. More than I should for a girl I just met two days ago. I go back to Seoul in a couple of days and I don’t know when I will see you again. But still, I want you to be my girlfriend.” My eyes widen at his words. Did he just...? 

“It will be hard not seeing each other. But in my opinion it’s better than being able to see each other without being able to BE seen together. Do you know what I mean?” I nod. Sung Joon wants me to be his girlfriend!

“I don’t want to leave London regretting not spending time with you while I can. I can spend time with my friends back in Seoul. So, even though I know I’m asking a lot of you, will you be my girlfriend?” he looks at me with the warmest eyes.

I don’t know what to think. Apart from the fact that he’s a celebrity, how could this possibly work? I go back to Australia after this and he’ll return to his fancy lifestyle in Seoul. He works with some of the prettiest actresses in the world, yet he wants to be with me. I don’t know whether he is playing with me because he will never see me again or if he is being serious. But with the way he is looking at me now I can’t help but fall for him. I know the risks I’ll be taking by saying yes, but it doesn’t stop me from saying it. 

“Yes.” I say, meeting his gaze. 

He smiles at me and slowly leans closer. I watch him come closer and he lightly touches my lips with his. I close my eyes as he presses his lips further. The kiss is absolutely mind-blowing. It was slow and sweet. He my bottom lip slightly, making me shiver. I open my mouth a bit, making room for him to enter my mouth and taste me. He pushes me down onto the bed and keeps kissing me. His hands move from my face to my waist. He runs his hands up and down the side of my body as I wrap my arms around his neck. That’s when I realise he’s still topless. I gasp and Sung Joon stops to look at me. 

“Sorry.” I say to him as I glance between his bare chest and his face. He seems to understand the problem and chuckles. He kisses my forehead. 

“Don’t worry baby girl, I won’t do anything beyond this today.” he says as he leans down to kiss me again. 

We kiss for a bit more until he softly bites my bottom lip before pulling away. I slowly open my eyes to see him staring at me. He traces the shape of my face before placing his finger on my forehead, right between my eyes. He traces the line down to the tip of my nose, then down to my lips and off my chin. He places a light kiss on my forehead then wraps me up in his arms as he lies down. I wrap my arms around his waist, still very aware then my arms were on his bare skin. I try not to breath on his chest. 

“Breathe Jae.” he says softly. 

I let out the breath I was holding as Sung Joon starts to pat my shoulders in a slow rhythm. I close my eyes and feel the heat coming off his body. I curl into him as he pulls me closer. I fall asleep to the sound of his breathing and the beat on my shoulders. 

I wake up the next morning and realise I am still in his arms. I open my eyes to see his bare chest and I blush. I know we didn’t do anything but kiss last night but it was still breathtaking. Sung Joon doesn’t move so I assume he is still asleep. I am too scared to move in case he wakes up so I wait. 

“You’re not breathing again.” I jump at the sound of his voice. He pulls me closer and rubs my back. “Sorry, Jae. I didn’t mean to startle you.”

I push back and look up at him. “It’s okay. How long have you been awake?” I ask him. 

“Not long. I probably woke up the same time you did.” he leans down and pecks me on the lips. “I could get used to this.” he breathes as he pulls me back into his arms. 

“We should get up. We need to catch the train back to London.” I tell his chest. 

“5 more minutes.” 

I push away from him. “Okay. You sleep for 5 more minutes. I’m going to have a shower.” I say swinging my legs off the bed. I get up and get my things from my bag as Sung Joon grabs my pillow and hugs it, continuing his sleep. I smile at how cute he is and then go to have a shower. 

I come out with my hair dripping wet and with jeans and plain t-shirt on. I have my towel draped across my shoulders. I see that Sung Joon is still asleep, curled up like a baby on the bed. I go over to the dressing table and take out my various face creams. I move my hair to one side of my head, tilting my head slightly as I lift the towel and start drying it. I don’t hear Sung Joon get up but next thing you know his arms are around my waist and his lips on my exposed neck. He replaces his lips with his chin and looks at me in the mirror. I smile at him. 

“You’re so beautiful, Jae.” he says. 

“I think you’re still half asleep.” I say, brushing my finger on the tip of his nose. 

His arms tighten around my waist as he groans. “Hmm... maybe I am.” he says laughing. I laugh too. 

“Go have a shower. We need to check out soon.”

“Yes ma’am.” he says, letting go of my waist and saluting me before he goes to the bathroom. 

An hour later and I’m in the lobby, waiting for Sung Joon to finish checking out. I stand facing the door, checking to see if there’s a taxi we can take. I feel Sung Joon take my hand and pull me towards the door. Right as we step outside a taxi pulls in, dropping off some patrons before taking us to the train station.