Chapter 12

Closing the Distance

That night, after dinner the door bell rings. 

“Who is it?” my manager says, moving to open the door. He opens it and calls out to me. I get up from the couch and go to the door. 

“Soo Hyuk Oppa.” I say, looking at the model standing in my doorway. I nod at my manager and he moves out of the way, leaving room for him to come in. He walks in and gives me a hug. 

“How are you Jae?” he says, handing my manager the bag in his hands. 

“I’m good. What are you doing here?” I say leading the way to the couch. My manager takes the bag of fruit Soo Hyuk bought and goes into the kitchen. 

“I just thought it was time to catch up.” he says. 

“Sure?” I say looking at him questioningly. “There’s nothing wrong is there?”

“No no. Nothing’s wrong.” he kept his focus on the TV, not once meeting my eyes. 

After a while my manager comes out from the kitchen with the fruit cut up and prettily placed on a plate. There are two drinks on the tray he’s carrying and he places it on the table in front of Soo Hyuk and I. Soo Hyuk thanks him and he disappears back into the kitchen. 

“Something’s up, Oppa. What is it?” I say. He looks at me out of the corner of his eye before sighing. 

“Okay.” he says turning to face me. “I got a call from Sung Joon.”

“And?” 

“He told me about.. you know, WGM?”

“And?” Soo Hyuk looks up at me, clearly confused by my lack of response.

“Are you okay with it? I mean, with your history together -” I cut him off. 

“What history? The 3 days we spent in London together? Or the 8 months of messages, phone calls and Skype conversations we had after that? Or maybe the 1 and a half years after that where it was like none of that even existed?” I stand up and start pacing. I didn’t want to react like this and it wasn’t fair that Soo Hyuk was on the receiving end of my rant but, to be fair, he started it. 

“But it did exist. We’re proof of that. If I hadn’t gone up to you that day in London none of this would have happened. Sung Joon is in just as much shock as you are. He never thought that he would end up on WGM with you.” 

“What’s he doing on that type of program anyways? Why doesn’t he just go on holiday and pick up another poor defenseless girl?” Soo Hyuk gets up and pulls me into a hug. 

“I know this is hard for you, Jae. But think about it from his perspective for once.” he rubs my back to calm me down. I relax in his arms. 

“If he had just let me know what the problem was then. If he only he told me or got in contact with me after I came here to explain himself, then maybe I wouldn’t be so bitter about it all.”

“I know. I’m not on anyone’s side in this but I hate to see you both beat yourselves up about it all.” He steps back, putting his hands on my shoulders. “You can get past this right? It would be hard for your fans to see you on WGM acting indifferently to your ‘husband’. They’re scary, fans are. They’ll pick up that something is wrong in an instant.”

“I know. I’m actually pretty good at pretending everything is okay when it’s not so don’t worry about me.” I tell him giving him a small smile. 

“He does want to talk to you before the next filming though. Can I give him your number?”

I hesitate. 

“If he asks to meet you I can always come too. You know I’m here for you, right?” he says still holding onto my shoulders. 

I look at him and I can see the sincerity in his eyes. I nod. He relaxes a bit. He pulls me in for a quick hug and then lets go. 

“I have to go. Jong Hyun is about to call me over for a drink any minute now.” Just as he finishes his sentence his phone rings. He takes it out of his pocket and shows me the screen, sure enough it’s Jong Hyun. We both laugh as he picks up the call and waves on his way out. 

My manager comes out from the kitchen, having seen and heard everything that just happened. 

“What are you going to do if he does want to meet you?” he asks me. I flop onto the couch and bury my face into one of the cushions. 

“I have no idea.”

 

A few days later I hear my manager knocking at my door. “Jae-ya! Wake up we’re going to be late.” he says. 

I take my phone off my bedside table and check the time. 6 am. I groan as I stretch, loosening the muscles in my body. I open my door, eyes half open and reassure my manager that I’m awake. He tells me I have 20 minutes to get ready and turns away to go back to the kitchen. 

After 20  minutes I go into the kitchen and find the table full of food. 

“I thought you said we’re gonna be late?” I say, smiling at my manager. 

“You still need to eat.” he says. “Sit. I know how long you take to eat so I purposely woke you up an hour earlier.”

“One hour?” I say, sitting down. “My precious sleep.”

“Eating is more important. Now eat.” 

I laugh at how he’s mother-ing me and eat up. He sits down and joins me as well. While we’re eating I hear my phone ring from my bedroom. I go to get up to answer it when my manager stands first. 

“Sit. Keep eating.” he says before running into my room, picking up my phone before the ringing ends. I sit down and keep eating. I can hear my managers voice and I wonder who called me. He comes out with my phone in his hands. He places it on the table and sits down. I look at the screen and see that the call has ended. 

“Who was it?” I ask him, lifting the spoon to my mouth. 

“No one. You don’t need to worry about it. You’re filming your new music video today so I don’t want anything to distract you.”

I shrug. He’s like my big brother, I know he wants what’s best for me so I accept what he says and keep eating. Once I’m done eating I help him clean up before we take off. 

 

It’s a long day but after hours of filming I finally crash on my couch at home. 

“Go wash up and get some rest. You have a photo shoot tomorrow.” says my Manager as he drops my things on the floor. 

“Yes sir.” I tell him. I get up and go into the bathroom. I wash all the make-up off my face and use my moisturisers. I come out of the bathroom and see my manager sorting through my things putting them away where they belong. I got to walk into my room when he says something. I couldn’t quite catch what he said so I walk into the living room. 

“Did you say something Oppa?” I ask him.

“I said he called.” he says, still moving around the room putting things away. 

“Who did?” 

“Sung Joon.”

“Oh.” I don’t know what else to say. There’s a brief silence. “When?” I ask. 

“Once this morning.” I nod. I figured as much. “And a few more times while you were filming.” 

“What did you say to him?” 

“I told him you were busy. I didn’t lie.” he says, still moving about. 

“Good. Did he say he would call again?” He finally stops what he’s doing and looks at me. 

“Yeah. He did. He wants to see you.” I nod slowly, taking in what he said.

“I can tell him you don’t want to see him if you want. I can keep answering his calls for you -”

“No.” I say, cutting him off. “I’ll meet him. Next time he calls arrange a meeting for us. I shouldn’t run away from this.” With that I turn around and go into my room, shutting the door behind me. 

I fall onto my bed. I’m right. I shouldn’t run away from this. I’m going to have to face him sooner or later. There are only a few days until I see him for the next WGM filming and it’s probably better if we talked before then. I sigh and close my eyes. Letting sleep take over me.

 

A/N: I'm really sorry this is taking so long. I've decided to be a genius and start another fic too -.- If I had better time managament skills it would have been a good idea. 

Thanks for waiting!

xo