7

The Masterpiece of Nature

They stay with Jiyong’s family for a few days and then return to their normal lives in Seoul, but that doesn’t mean that the Kwons are pushed to the back of Eunmi’s mind. Dami texts her often, either chatting about the upcoming photoshoot they’ll be doing together or checking in on Nayoung or even just to chat. But it’s not just Dami that takes a personal interested in Eunmi and Nayoung. Even Jiyong’s mother and father make sure to call her every couple of days to check in and talk with Nayoung.

“They love Nana and they love you,” Jiyong points out. It’s the morning of Eunmi and Nayoung’s photoshoot and somehow – Eunmi is never really sure how it happens – Jiyong has spent the night at their apartment.

“Still…do you think they know that she’s their granddaughter?” she asks, pulling on a pair of jeans and a t-shirt – Dami will dress her in the latest and greatest fashions once she arrives at the studio.

Jiyong shrugs noncommittally. “I mean, I guess it wouldn’t surprise me if they did,” he admits. “Nayoung looks a look like you, but she looks identical to me when I was a kid.”

Eunmi sighs, but there’s nothing much she can do about it at this point. And she can’t really hold it against Jiyong that he wants the baby to meet his family. In fact, she knows a lot of single mothers who have to do everything on their own, so she counts herself lucky that Jiyong is so excited to be a part of Nayoung’s life.

“Let’s just get going to the photo shoot and don’t worry about it too much,” Jiyong suggests, shrugging into his coat. It’s April by now and the snow is gone, but the wind is still chill and they still bundle the baby up before going out.

“I don’t know why you’re coming too,” Eunmi says, slinging the diaper bag over her shoulder while Jiyong scoops their daughter into his arms. She giggles delightedly and throws her pudgy little arms around his neck, burying her face in his shaggy hair.

Jiyong grins, blowing a raspberry on Nayoung’s cheek. “Because I want to see my two favorite girls strutting their stuff for my sister’s camera.”

Eunmi blushes, the way she always does when Jiyong alludes to them being in a relationship – which he continues to do no matter how many times she corrects him. “I don’t even know what I’m doing,” she grumbles. “I’ll probably look like an idiot and Dami won’t even be able to use the pictures.”

“Give yourself some credit, Mimi,” Jiyong grins as they head down to his car, in which he’d installed a car seat for the baby. “You’re gorgeous. The pictures will come out fantastic.”

They make the drive in silence, listening to a children’s CD that Jiyong had bought as soon as he’d begun driving Nayoung around. She sits in her car seat in the back, singing along and playing with one of her dolls.

“Why won’t you date me?” Jiyong says out of nowhere, surprising Eunmi.

She’s caught off guard, so she splutters for a second or two before forming a coherent answer. “Ji, we’ve discussed this before.”

“But no matter how many times you tell me, I still don’t understand,” he whines, merging onto the highway. “You’re in love with me, right?”

Eunmi sighs, looking down at her hands. “Yes,” she says in a small sort of voice.

“And I’m in love with you,” Jiyong continues, which is a bit of a surprise. Even when they’d been together before, he’d never said those words to her. “So what’s the problem, Mimi?”

“Just drop it, Ji,” she mutters wearily.

Dami is waiting for them at the studio, eagerly ordering everyone around with a sort of maniacal glee. “You’re here!” she exclaims happily when they security guards show them into the studio. “I’m so excited! Yujin!” she shouts at one of her assistants. “Get Eunmi and Nayoung into wardrobe, okay?”

A pretty woman shows them into a dressing room, where others are waiting to dress them in Dami’s concoctions. Then they’re taken back out to the studio and the photographer begins his work.

Though Eunmi has never done this sort of thing before, she discovers that it’s pretty easy. She’d been imagining cold stares and awkward poses, but neither Dami nor the photographer wants that. Instead, she gets to play happily with her daughter while the photographer shouts encouraging words at her and snaps away on his camera.

“Ji,” Dami says when they’re close to the end of the photo shoot. “Hop in there, will you?”

“What?” Eunmi exclaims in surprise – and a little bit of panic. “Why?”

“Because you guys look like a little family,” Dami winks at her. “Besides, a lot more people will pick up the magazine if Jiyong is in it. So just act natural.”

Unfortunately, acting natural with Jiyong comes too easily for Eunmi. He’s been such a steady part of her life for the last several months and it’s obvious that Nayoung adores him. She hasn’t even seen the pictures yet and she already knows that they look like the perfect little family.

Eventually the shoot is over and everyone is thanking them for their help.

“Why don’t you come to the house for dinner tonight?” Dami suggests as everyone packs up. “To celebrate the successful photo shoot.”

Jiyong quirks an eyebrow at Eunmi as if silently asking if she wants to go, and she nods. She still doesn’t feel particularly comfortable around Jiyong’s family since they’re keeping such a big secret from them, but they’re nice and she knows that it’s good for Nayoung to spend time with her paternal family.

“Sure, we’re in,” Jiyong agrees. “We’ll see you there.”

The dinner is a pleasant affair. Mr. Kwon and his wife ask all the polite questions, inquiring about the photo shoot and assuring Eunmi that the pictures will turn out fantastic. Dami gushes about how natural Eunmi and Nayoung were, and she even throws in a comment about how they looked like a real little family when Jiyong jumped in at the end.

Jiyong clears his throat almost casually. “That’s because we are,” he says calmly.

Nobody even bats an eyelash. “We know, dear,” his mother agrees with a small smile.

At least Eunmi isn’t the only one surprised by this answer. Jiyong seems to think that they don’t understand what he’s saying. “Nayoung is my daughter,” he says, a little bit louder this time. “My biological daughter. She’s your granddaughter.”

“We know, Jiyong,” his mother repeats, meeting his gaze with another warm smile. “We’ve known the second she arrived here. She looks just like you. How could we not know?”

Eunmi swallows the uncomfortable lump in . “Y-you aren’t angry or anything?”

“Well, it’s not perhaps the best situation considering Jiyong’s status as a global icon, but we’ve gotten an adorable little granddaughter so how could we be upset?” his mother says.

Mr. Kwon clears his throat. “I think you’ve been wise to keep this from the public eye, however,” he says. “Considering Jiyong’s status, you’d probably be creating a lot of drama if you announced it now.”

“We weren’t going to tell anyone,” Jiyong says. “I just wanted you guys to know.”

“Idiot,” Dami says, ruffling his hair fondly. “We already knew.”

Eunmi sighs in relief. 


So now GD's family knows he's a daddy and they're not mad. Yay!

Only one more chapter left now.