Bittersweet

French Toast Fiasco


    Seunghyun would wake up everyday, rubbing his bleary eyes to chase away sleep before getting out of bed and prepare to venture out head first into his monotonous and somewhat anticlimatic life outside the confines of his one bedroom apartment, with its leaking faucet and plain, cream walls.

    
    It's far from what he expected years ago. Back when he was a bright- eyed youth, far from home with nothing but a worn notebook filled with messily written lyrics, a couple of crumpled bills in his wallet and an unbelievable sense of determination. He believed he could make it, fought for what he dreamed and what he wanted with unrelenting sense of purpose. He wanted it. Wanted it so bad, sometimes he thought he tasted it in his mouth.


    But dreams alone were not enough. Reality came in the form of his father's coma from a freak accident a year after he decided to leave home. Things came crashing down after that, and along with it were his dreams.

    
    Life never tasted more bitter than it already was.

 


    The touch of the cold metal handle of his door jolted him out of those grim memories and he shook his head in distaste. Of all times to be emotional, Seunghyun chided himself.


    It was still early, or at least he assumes it was and opened the door without bothering to check the time from the blinking digital on the bedside. The whole aprtment was chilly and eerily silent as he made his way to the kitchen for a glass of water.


    As he waited for the glass to fill, he stared, unbilnking at the unwashed dishes overflowing the sink and noted with a shudder, the barest hint of molds starting to form at the bottom of the pile and yes, dear god  he needed to clean his and preferably throw away couple of plates and spoons in the trash while he was at it.


    He was a lazy person, and maybe, just maybe he inhabited in what was the equivalent of a human pigsty but that did not necessarily mean he was fine with all that molds and bacteria and . Seunghyun was never a fan of frequent bathroom trips and expelling his bowels out business.


    Yes, he needed to clean. Tonight. If possible.


    A series of loud barking coming from the apartment next to his could be heard from the thin walls of the complex caught his attention and all of tonight's planning was thrown in the air, apparently forgotten.


    Oh, yeah. Right.


    A second later, Seunghyun  was bolting for the bathroom, gracelessly slipping on the cold floor over a stray piece of rag and hobbled the rest of his bloody way there.


    He hastily spared a glance on his own reflection (that never disappointed at disappointing him in the mornings) before splashing his face with water and attempted to tame the thick, messy black locks he called hair. Once he finished fussing over his appearance and deemed himself presentable, he stepped out of the bathroom in a much more collected manner and forcefully stomped down the giddiness bubbling in him.


    Seunghyun passed through his living room and headed straight for the balcony doors. The sun had just risen and here he was once again, bright eyed and bushy tailed.


    He took a deep breath and prepared himself for another onslaught.

 

.

 

    It became a routine for them.


    Every morning since few weeks ago, Seunghyun would hesitantly and nervously walk out the balcony, not knowing what to expect and feel everytime he stepped through the glassdoor and into the bright morning. A part of him was, unexplicably eager and happy and warm. The other was, nervous and hesitant and just downright confusing. Leaving him, most of the time, trying to catch up and understand his own wishy- washy feelings and it just leaves him so frustrated he barely knows what to do with his awkward and pitiable self.   


    But every morning, like clockwork, he would find Jiyong calmly sipping a mug of coffee or silently reading a book or just watching the beginnings of a new day with a serene look on his face that sometimes Seunghyun could not help feeling like he had walked in on something he was not supposed to be seeing or shoudn't be spoiling with his presence.


    Then the pink haired boy would turn to his gawking form and  he would smile--- and , it was like being simultaneously kicked in the gut, his heart being squeezed out of his chest and being told the secrets of the universe because Jiyong was here with his messy pink hair and sweeping eyelashes, waiting.


    Waiting for him. Seunghyun.


    And realization dawns like the rising sun in front of him, that suddenly life isn't so bitter anymore.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

* Just something really short to help me get back to writing after months of being a total lazy . Enjoy.