Chapter One

Withered Memories

 

 

“So you’re really leaving?”

 

He released out a heavy sigh. The mindless chatters bouncing off the walls of the small café they were holed up in were tuned out as his fingers idly fiddling with the now-tepid cup of coffee sitting in front of him.  

 

Out of the corner of his eyes, Baek Hyun saw the person deliberately nod her head in agreement.

 

“I agreed to come with you because I knew you needed someone. I couldn’t just leave you alone in that state. You’re… special to me.”

 

Don’t you mean ‘were’?”

 

“You are. We’re still friends.” The person rolled her eyes at the small dig, to which Baek Hyun responded with a small, dry laugh. “But I don’t think I can keep on running like this.”

 

As soon as those words left , his mood decidedly turned more somber.

 

“I miss our old life, Baek Hyun-ah. I miss going to the noraebang, taking public baths, eating oddeng and tteokbokki. I miss...” She paused, eyes suddenly turning wistful. The small smile which until now had adorned her face slowly disappeared. “I miss our friends.”

 

Baek Hyun could only nod his head in acknowledgment.

 

“Haven’t you ever thought about going back home?”

 

“What about your studies?” Leaning back on his seat, he deflected her question with another question.

 

It was now her turn to sigh.

 

“I’ve been taking advanced classes,” she nevertheless answered with a small shrug. “I’m done once I finish this term.”

 

“If that’s really want you want, then I won’t stop you.” For the first time since arriving at the café, he looked at her straight in the eyes and flashed a genuine smile. “Thanks for sticking it out with me all these years.”

 

She opened as if to say something, but in the end, changed her mind. Instead, she let her eyes travel to the clock hanging on top of the counter.

 

“I need to go. Work starts in half an hour.”

 

Baek Hyun mutely watched as she started gathering her things into her arms. Before she walked away, she turned to face him once last time.

 

“It’s been so long, Baek Hyun-ah. You should think about going back as well.”

 

* * * *

 

His eyes snapped open at the sudden jerk.

 

‘Ladies and gentlemen, we have now officially landed at the Seoul Incheon International Airport. Local time is 12:52 PM. Current temperature is at 52°F, with slightly overcast skies. Please remain seated and keep your seatbelts fastened until…’

 

Ignoringthe broadcasted message, his fingers quickly worked away in freeing him from the restrictive contraption.

 

This is it. After so many years, he was finally back in Korea.

 

The fuselage shook and rumbled slightly as the plane taxied on the tarmac, but his attention was otherwise glued to small window on his left. The tiniest hint of dread tickled his stomach.

 

The images blurring by were all too familiar, yet at the same time, were not.

 

Before he even knew it, the plane had completely stopped. One by one, the rest of the passengers started restlessly moving about, waiting for the flight attendants to give the final signal that they can leave.

 

“Anyeonghigaseyo,” a random flight attendant said to him as he stepped off the plane, the traditional goodbye phrase jarring him a little. It’s been a while since someone spoke to him in his own language.

 

“Ah, neh,” Baek Hyun managed to mumble back with an awkward bow.

 

He spent the next half-hour or so clearing customs, showing proper documents, and collecting his belongings. Baek Hyun was going through the motions yet not one of the people he encountered really seemed to mind.

 

Or even notice.

 

“Welcome home, Dr. Hwang,” one custom official had remarked as she handed the examined papers back to him.

 

Welcome home.

 

The words echoed in his head.

 

Home… Was he really home? Up until now, everything was still so surreal that Baek Hyun felt the irrational urge to pinch himself just to check if he was dreaming. After all, the last time he was surrounded by this many Korean people, he was on his way to escape his life, with her in tow.  

 

“There's nothing left for me here.”

 

That was years ago. Now he could barely even remember the exact reason why he said those words and why he badly wanted to leave in the first place.

 

“Run away with me….

 

But what’s done is done. He could only hope that things would turn out for the best now that he was finally home.

 

Baek Hyun stood at the threshold.

 

This is really it.

 

He steadied himself with one deep breath and tightened his grip. With a rucksack strapped to his back, and a large duffel bag in one hand, Baek Hyun stepped out of the double door and back into his past.

 

Almost immediately, he was welcomed by a strong gust of slightly chilly wind, walloping him squarely in the chest.

 

“Well,” Baek Hyun muttered crossly to himself as he pulled his jacket tighter, “looks like I’m really back.”

 

* * * *

 

“You’re Hwang Baek Hyun?"

 

“Neh, ajumeoni,” he bowed politely as he handed the lady his identification card. “I was the one who talked to you on the phone about the apartment a few weeks ago.”

 

The middle-aged woman gave him the once-over before accepting the proffered object. Satisfied, she quickly handed him back the card and motioned for him to follow.

 

“You came from overseas? A kyopo?” She lightly questioned as she led him through the halls of the small apartment building. “This isn’t the first time you’ve been to the country, is it?”

 

“Aniyo. I only went there for a couple of years to… study.” He cleared his throat. “I used to live with my halmeoni before.”

 

The ajumma bobbed her head in approval. Their small talk abruptly ended right there when they reached the last door at the end of the hallway. Taking out a set of keys from her pocket, the woman started tinkering with the door locks. A few seconds later and the locks were released with a distinctive click.

 

She pushed the door wide open.

 

“Well, this was the apartment we talked about.” She stepped inside and waved him over to let him examine the area. “A newly-wed couple previously owned this apartment. They stayed here for only a few months before the husband got offered a job overseas. One week later, he left to take the job and brought with him his wife.”

 

Baek Hyun nodded absently while the woman’s voice droned in the background. The place was decent enough. The couch, the bed, and the small TV were still there. Sure, he needed to do a bit of cleaning, and maybe fill out the missing household items like plates, pots and pans, but still it was actually a better bargain than what he originally thought.

 

“It’s not as big as the other rooms, but lucky for you, they had left everything behind."  

 

He turned around and flashed her a look of satisfaction.

 

“Ajumeoni, I’ll take it.”

 

* * * *

 

A few hours later (and with his money envelope considerably thinner), the apartment was nearly spotless.

 

Baek Hyun marveled at his own work. Apparently, it did pay to have taken all those odd jobs before. Not only did it give him the opportunity to earn money, it also gave him the skills which rivals that of a professional housecleaner.

 

He collapsed tiredly on the small couch. The audible rumble of his stomach reminded him of how he had already skipped lunch and thus not to miss out on dinner as well.

 

True enough, a quick glance on his wristwatch told him it was a little past 7 o’clock in the evening.

 

After taking a quick shower, Baek Hyun grabbed his coat and ventured outside to search for food. Throughout the years, he had learned how to cook for himself, but tonight he figured he’s too tired to make his own meal.

 

He walked around aimlessly for ten minutes, trying to jog his memory where he last saw a convenience store on his way to this new neighborhood.

 

Finally, after what seemed like an eternity, he spotted the telltale bright signage of a nearby store. Baek Hyun quickened his pace, eyes locked on his target. He was so intent on reaching the store that he didn’t notice the other person on the other side of the door.

 

The stranger stumbled back in surprise, almost losing her footing in the process if it weren’t for Baek Hyun who quickly grabbed both her arms.  

 

“Watch where you’re going! This thing expensive!”

 

“Mianhaeyo, agassi,” he started to apologize. “I really didn’t notice you – ”

 

The woman whipped her head to face him, eyes widening in recognition.

 

“Oh! Baek Hyun-ah?!”     

 

 

* * * *

 

A/N:

Well, this is my obligatory boring first chapter. I'm so sorry about that. Hopefully, it'll get better once I start to introduce the main characters (starting with next chapter, obviously. Lol!). If you have any questions, feel free to ask me.

By the way, if you haven't figured it out already, the parts written in italics are all flashbacks. You'll see them after every other chapter or so.

Finally, I want to thank everyone who subscribed and left comments. Really, it motivates me to come out with a chapter quicker than I normally would. :)