Chapter o1

Even If We Can't Be Together

 

“They’ve changed the rules.”

Howon stopped in the middle of his dance practice and looked up eagerly at his dance instructor. He wiped off the beads of perspiration which were trickling down the side of his face with the back of his hand. They had been going on at it for almost 3 hours straight now, and he would take anything for a distraction.

“Again?” his other team-mate asked in annoyance.

“Well apparently, they are adding in another routine for the special segment...” Jae Suk, their choreographer, explained. “...which requires some partnering.”

A burst of excitement filled the practice room at the mention of the word ‘partner.’ They started murmuring among themselves about who was going to be chosen for the special segment.

Howon rolled his eyes in disbelief at his dance-mates. Weren’t they the ones who supposedly opposed to this in the first place? Typical guys.

“Only three of you would be chosen for this though,” Jae Suk continued in a louder voice to get their attention back to him. “And I’ve already made my choices.”

“Well, I know someone who’ll definitely get chosen,” somebody spoke up from the other end of the room. Immediately, all eyes turned towards the source of the voice; including Howon.

Jang Dong Woo, one of J.Co Academy best dancers, leaned against the wall casually with his two arms crossed together in front of his chest. He stared directly at Howon’s lean figure as a small smirk crept on his face.

“You’ll definitely choose Howon won’t you Jae? He’s your favourite after all.”

Howon clenched his fists tightly by the sides as he turned his head back around and kept his gaze fixed on the long mirrors in front of him. That jerk was trying to get on his nerves again and this time he won’t lose his cool. He won’t let it get to him.

“I chose him because I believe in his capabilities, just like each one of you here,” Jae Suk informed him sharply. “And I’m sure Howon’s going to make us proud, right?”

He flinched slightly when he realised Jae Suk had really picked him as one of the three dancers. It wasn’t like he didn’t want to do it but he was kind of reluctant. He wasn’t used to partnering routines. And besides, who exactly was he going to be partnered up with?

He could feel all eyes on his back now. They were all waiting, anxious to hear his response. Especially Dong Woo who has this smug look on his face, as if doubting Howon was going to take up the challenge.

“Fine, I’ll do it.”

 

Howon trudged up the stairs to Chae Hwa Dance Academy building slowly. He glanced down at the small piece of paper in his hand and checked the address written on it. It was definitely the right place. But how come it was giving him the wrong vibe?

He pushed the heavy doors to the entrance cautiously and took a step inside the huge and lavish front room. His eyes wandered around the grand decorations in awe. This place was totally different from the dancing school that he attends. It’s much more...fascinating.

Uneasily, he approached the front desk for help.

“Uh, I’m looking for someone.”

The girl looked up at him through thick eyelashes with a bright smile on her face.

“Who is it?”

Just then, he heard a loud crash coming from behind him. He whirled around expectantly and saw another girl, sprawled on the floor with shards of glass surrounding her.

“Oh no!” the earlier girl jumped up from her seat and strained her neck to get a clearer view. “I better call for an ambulance,” she murmured to herself.

Without wasting a second more, Howon heaved his backpack up his shoulder and hurried towards the injured girl. A small crowd had started to form around her and he had to squeeze his way through.

“Make way. She needs some breathing space,” he told them urgently and got down on his knees. Carefully, he turned the unconscious girl over and placed one arm underneath her neck and the other below her two legs before lifting her up, bridal style.

Not caring about the other dancers in the room, Howon rushed out of the building and ran down the stairs quickly, with the unknown girl still in his embrace.