I; Introduced

Only During Snowfall

The First December
21st of December

Image

Song Jieun usually didn't care about what she wore. If she could, she'd attend the party wearing only skinny jeans and her good ole' white sweater that had reindeer prints over the front that matched her amazingly cute white doll shoes that her mother bought for her yesterday. She could even have her hair up in a loose bun that would only take her less than thirty seconds to do. 

But no, sadly, Jieun couldn't do all those. She couldn't wear casual clothes to this event, she couldn't just walk in flat shoes for this party, she couldn't let her hair look messy and too natural for tonight.

Jieun had to look presentable, as her mother had stated. 

But, the fourteen-year-old that was sitting in front of the mirror in the parlor shop did not understand her mother's definition of 'presentable'. For Jieun, she thought her mother had meant 'extravagant'. Totally meaning, looking jaw-droppingly gorgeous and making boys coo over her only for this one night. 

A heavy sigh escapes the young teen's lips as she stared at her own mother from the mirror. Jieun didn't understand. She had her arms crossed over her chest and her hair was still wrapped in a towel as the hair stylist went to the shop's storage room for the specific color Jieun's mother had wanted on Jieun's hair. It was almond brown to be exact, the same color of Jieun's eyes. 

"The party will start in less than two hours, you know." Jieun found the right words to strike up a conversation to her mother, who was reading a magazine on the couch behind Jieun. She stared at her through the mirror the whole time, seemingly annoyed and moody for it was not even her idea to highlight her hair. "And I'm not even half-ready yet. Heck, you're not even ready. We're going to be late." Yet, it was still her fault that she agreed in the first place.

Ms. Song flickers her eyes up and let it linger in the reflection of her daughter on the mirror, saying nothing all the while. It was only when she looked back down on her magazine and flipped a page that the woman spoke; "Watch your words, Jieun. And, we're not going to be late, everyone is just going to be there early." 

Jieun shakes her head, suppressing back a snort since her mom would not be pleased if this fourteen-year-old would even dare snort or snicker in front of her. "Tell me you did not just quote Julia Andrews." she, instead, gave out a sarcastic response. 

"What if I did?" her mother's tone was indifferent, she was palpably unfazed by the sarcasm literally dripping off the young one's previous words. "What's it to you, Jieun?" 

She bites back a retort, literally. She's biting the lower part of her lips as she tried not to throw another sarcastic response. Jieun had to be careful, one more and she'll tip the balance between the peace of her and her mother. Ms. Song was not really a sarcastic person. She was direct and straight to the point. The total opposite of the only child she bore. "I just think it's old-fashion." says the young teen to her mother. 

Before Mrs. Song could say anything more to that, the stylist comes back and has three bottles of hair dye in his hands which makes Jieun slightly confused and curious since her mother specifically asked for only one color that would be highlighted on Jieun's jet-black hair. 

When the hair stylist sees the look of curiosity his customer's face, he smiles at her through the mirror. "Oh, well, I thought you might like these other colors. One is darker and the other is lighter. We could mix it up, all three of these, and the outcome would be the color we'd dye on your hair. How's that sound, sugar?" 

Jieun contained the urge to snort and roll her eyes at him.. or maybe the stylist was a 'her', at the same time. Enough with the damn nicknames, she told him in her head. Recently, the stylist had called her 'sweetheart', 'sweetie' and even 'darling' too as if they were close enough for him to say that to Jieun. But obviously, they were not. 

Both the stylist and Jieun looked at Ms. Song through the mirror for confirmation because even though it was Jieun's hair that they'd be highlighting, it still was Jieun's mother who had the final decision. 

But Mrs. Song only waves the hair stylist and Jieun off. "Jieun you decide, just make it quick." 

-

Every year, between the dates of 19 to 23, the large and influential Song family would hold a grand party in Jieun's grandfather's mansion at exactly 7 PM. This had began when Jieun was three years old and ever since then, it's become a tradition to their family and it had grown over the past few years. It was not exclusive to the family members anymore but to the company shareholders and partners as well, some relatives of Jieun would even invite their friends or friends of the Song family.

Because of this, more and more people come each year and it doesn't make Jieun happy by the least.

She used to love going to the party ever since she could walk on two feet by her own, she still remembered the giant Christmas tree in the living room that was decorated with a million ornaments and Christmas balls. The wreath by the door and the stairs, she could still remember the old yet sweet scent it gave off whenever she'd experimentally sniff on it. The mistletoe she and her cousins would put up as a joke above their parents, uncles and aunts for them to kiss. The feast they had during Christmas Eve that always had mashed potato and traditional Korean-styled turkey. 

She could still remember those days when Christmas used to be so meaningful to the Songs. Now, though, their tradition has lost it's touch because her grandparents, uncles, aunts and even cousins are inviting complete strangers (for Jieun) over and celebrate. This wasn't a 'Song Family Christmas Gthering' anymore. No, it was something much more than just that. And Jieun didn't like it. 

"Jieun, is-is that you?" a hesitant, light voice squeaks behind Jieun as she makes her way through the vast crowd of people in her innocent-looking all white dress that went up to her knees, Jieun was at first in protest to the choice of outfit but she agreed when she was told she could wear her doll shoes that had small ribbons by the sides. "Wow! You absolutely look great with your hair!" her cousin, Song Joohee, exclaims as she takes Jieun's hands in her own. 

"Thanks." Jieun plasters a smile on her face, even though it was fake, she did so anyway fully knowing that nobody could see pass her facade. Not even her parents or closest relatives could. "Nice dress." she says, envying the white and gray long dress her seventeen-year-old cousin was wearing. It reached all the way to the floor, covering her feet and long legs. Though it looked mature and y, Jieun still found the dress beautiful and it matched well with the theme for this year 'White Christmas'. 

Jieun thought the theme was ridiculous though. But nowadays, she thought everything was ridiculous, like how her mom spent an hour in fixing her hair when she could've just tied it in a normal ponytail in a matter of seconds. But no, she choose to be all complicated and sophisticated making three of them including her father, late for the party. 

Jieun's hands slip away from Joohee's and that's when the latter raised an eyebrow at her. "Hey, where are you going? The fire dancer is going to start-"

"I just need some punch." she can only think of one excuse at that moment and she thanked the heavens that it wasn't a lame one, Joohee had actually believed her younger cousin and let her go. But Jieun didn't head over to the large buffet table that had almost every food you could think of. Instead, Jieun rushed to the balcony outside so she could be under the stars company. 

It was cold outside of course, and she hated it being out in the open for the wind to roughly graze her skin (despite the beautiful night sky above her). Yet, she had no choice, she really wanted and needed to get out of that stuffy room so she only choose to stay and hide herself in the shadows of the doors so that nobody would see her. 

Jieun's dress was long-sleeved that reached up to her wrists but the fabric was too thin for it to protect the skin that it covered, so she could only rub her arms up and down to generate warmth throughout her arms and body, and that was the best she could do. 

"I can't stay out if-"

"Hello." 

Jieun was not expecting to bump into someone in the large balcony of the Song's mansion. She was already withdrawing herself from the light and was heading over to the shadows at the side, but she at the least, totally did not expect someone would be there too in this time and temperature. "Oh my -"

"Tsk, tsk." the voice was teasing her, and a low chuckle right after proves it. "What a foul mouth you have there." 

Jieun squints her eyes and through the light of the moonbeams, she sees an unfamiliar face of a boy standing in front of her. His eyes are smiling, and so are his lips, and the way he smiles down at Jieun makes her insides churn and feel funny, though the fourteen-year-old ignores this feeling and only crosses her arms at him to give him the aura of coercion. "What are you doing here?" she intentionally uses an accusing voice at him, to intimidate him. 

The boy steps forward, into the light a little making Jieun see him more clearly. But despite the limited light they have outside, Jieun sees how perfectly handsome and so-damn attractive this boy in front of her is. His jet-black hair, his deep and dark brown eyes, his fair skin, his boyish smile and that white suit that coincidentally went well with Jieun's white dress. 

She couldn't take her eyes off him. He looked young to her, like he was around her age. He was very handsome, oh yes indeed, it was something that cannot be argued. But Jieun knew better. Kids at her school were rich and handsome, and this boy looked just like them. Perfect smile, perfect eyes, perfect hair, perfect teeth.. he might've been the epitome of perfection in terms of looks. 

But Jieun knew better. The good looks, the warm smiles, she guessed it was all part of his 'good boy' facade. Jieun has seen and known so many people, especially boys, acting good in front of others the first time but it turns out they're a real monster inside. Jieun looks deep into his eyes, trying to intimdate him further. But all he did was smile back at her. 

"The name's Kim Joonmyun." he sticks out his hand for a handshake, well at least he was expecting one, but under the judging gaze of Jieun, he quickly lets his hand fall and he just shrugs her rejection off. "You're not very nice, are you?"

"How can you say that?" again, Jieun tries to sound like she's the more powerful one. She wanted to break his facade. She wanted to see the cold him instead of having face this enigma of warmth and kindness. Jieun was acting too judgmental, she knew that. He was right, she wasn't being nice right now, she knew that too.  

"For starters, you didn't even say sorry when you bumped into me." his tone was the same, calm and collected. His position however, changed from facing her to facing the view below the balcony; which was the vast garden of flowers and bushes. He placed his hands on the railing and his eyes were looking forward, not at her anymore. "And you didn't tell me your name, plus you declined my handshake." 

Jieun uncrosses her arms and stifles the feeling to roll her eyes at him. "Whatever, I'm going back to-.. the.." Jieun gulps down the rest of her sentence. No, she couldn't do that. She couldn't go back. She hates the inside. She hates being surrounded by the crowd and being lost in the sea of people, she absolutely despises being out in the public where every can see her. She hates the attention. She hates it all. 

"You know, 'hate', as I heard, is a very strong word." the boy who introduced himself as 'Kim Joonmyun', utters to get her attention.

And he succeeds because Jieun's eyes are now on him, and an eyebrow is raised. "Did I.. did I just say that out loud?"

Joomnyun chuckles, sparing the young girl a mere glance. "I believe you did." 

Her cheeks grew hot and red due to the embarrassment she was receiving right then. She tried to swallow her pride and say a snarky retort back at him but Jieun couldn't. Her mind suddenly went white, went blank, at that precise moment. 

Then, she hears it. 

Soft and elegant music being played from the inside. It was low and slightly inaudible if you wouldn't listen clearly, but Jieun had heard it. A violin being tuned, a cello following after then the keys of the piano are being hit, a symphony of music being created through the said instruments. Jieun looks inside through the glass door, but she's unsuccessful as the images of the people at the other side are blurry and unclear. 

"Oh, I love this piece." Joonmyun, whom Jieun still knew nothing about beside his name, unexpectedly pulls her by the hand and gently guides it on top of his shoulder. "You a good dancer?" He then softly places her other hand on top of his own and he raises both of their arms at shoulder-level. "I hope you don't have two left feet." he was making small talk, probably trying to coax something out of the girl as he, himself positions his hands on her waist and the other holding her's.

Jieun, well to say that she was shocked was an understatement. No boy had ever touched her hand that naturally as if it was only normal. It wasn't though. In their cases, it absolutely wasn't. Jieun was still recovering from embarrassment but a second only passes and he already has his hands on her. She didn't know him and he didn't even knew her name! Yet he his hand was already on her waist and through the fabric of her dress, she could feel how warm his hand was as he began to sway from side to side. 

It was only then that she figured out what he was trying to do. "You.. you want to dance?" she was stating the obvious through a question that, despite how conspicuous the answer was to both of them, Joonmyun still answered it. 

"Yes, I do." he chuckles and the sound sends Jieun knitting her eyebrows together; she was still trying to figure him out but the sound of the laugh he emitted sounded so sincere and real in her eyes. Not forced nor fake at all. "It's pretty cold out, huh? I think we should move and dance for a bit to garner some warmth." he tells her, still urging her silently to sway along with him. "Don't you agree?" 

Jieun blinks, surprised at how good and natural his talking sounded as well. Her eyes look momentarily at their hands, together, and at the hand on his shoulder in which felt too heavy to be moved. It was as if her hands had their own minds and they were telling her to stay right where they were. It was absolutely ridiculous. "What.. what are you up to?" she manages to ask him that and she even manages to give him a knife-throwing glare.

But Joonmyun remains unfazed by her glare, his expression still the same. He gives her waist a light squeeze and it makes her jerk by the slightest. "Don't get me wrong.. I like to dance. Can't I dance with you?" 

"You don't even know me." Jieun tilts her head to the side like the child that she was. "And I'm not pulling away from you. I'm not pulling away, how come I'm not pulling away? I don't even know you." The answer to her questions were simple; she can't, she couldn't. 

She couldn't find the strength in her arms to pull away. She can't pull her hand away from his because she couldn't. His soft and warm touch had made her skin shiver by the slightest and the feeling of warmth overwhelmed her insides when she starts dancing along to the muffled music coming from the inside. She starts dancing along with him, Kim Joonmyun. 

"But isn't that the beauty in this meeting?" he lets out that same chime-like chuckle that makes the tiny hairs around Jieun's body stand up. His laugh had the same effect on her like the wind had. "We don't know each other and we'll probably forget about this in the next few days. We might not even be seeing each other ever again. So, why not take the chance of dancing with a stranger under the moonlight and stars?" 

For the first time that evening, Jieun cracks up a genuine smile. It was small, it didn't reach her eyes, it didn't show her pearly white teeth yet one thing was certain - it was a real smile. "That was deep." is the only thing she could reply to that. 

"But it's true." he responds, the smile on his face getting bigger. "Is it not?"

"It is." Jieun agrees. "Do you do this to every girl you encounter?" 

They dance around in a small circle and Jieun finds her hands and arms relaxing as she let herself and her body sway along to the music. And she even finds herself lost into those brown eyes of his. She didn't know his eyes were actually the same color as her's. Not the dark kind, but the light kind. 

"Only to the pretty ones," he tells her, but Jieun knows a joke when she hears it. 

"Oh, ha-ha." she fakes a laugh just for him, to let him know that she knew he was only fooling around, that he was only joking. Jieun was too young for this kind of things, but she let loose only for tonight. Only for tonight where the snow slowly began to fall on them. "So does that mean you do this quite often then, Kim Joonmyun?"

The smile on the boy's lips as there again, more defined and wider than the last time it had been. "Possibly, maybe, yes." he was still joking. The hand that was on her waist reached up to her hair, grabbing some snow that fell down gracefully on top of Jieun's highlighted hair. He flicked it away before his attention was back on her. "I'm not asking you for your name, if that's what you're wondering." 

Jieun only nods, completely forgetting about trying to figure this boy out. "Alright." her tone was low, her voice barely audible. But she knew Joonmyun had heard her because his eyes turned into crescent moons again as he smiled right at her. 

Image

Hey you! Yeah, you! Better read every word
from this chapter because I'm not updating as
soon as you guys think, so better get used to long
and detailed chapters. :p