Pre-Chorus

The Pianist and the Prince

Pre-chorus

 

Perhaps he had arrived in Giemsa too early, yet the king was cordial and accommodating. He had been admitted to the sitting room as he waited for the ball to commence.

"Prince Roy of Monte George," a maidservant curtsied as she entered the room. "Would you like any refreshments, your highness?"

"No, thank you," Roy said.

The maid curtsied again and proceeded to exit. Music from the ballroom flowed into the room as she opened the door.

"Has the ball started?" Roy asked.

"No your highness," she replied. "The orchestra is still rehearsing."

"May I observe their rehearsal?"

The maidservant nodded uncertainly. She was taken aback that this prince would ask for permission.

"Shall I lead you to the ballroom, your highness?"

"No need. I suppose I can find my way on my own, but thank you," he answered.

Roy immediately regretted his decision of not asking for direction from the maid. The palace was huge. Its elegant hallways seemed to stretch endlessly. Trusting his poor sense of direction and his sharp hearing to follow the sound of music, he walked straight until he realized he had reached a dead end.

He exhaled and tried to find his way back. His footsteps echoed in the hallway. The music from the ballroom had faded.

Roy was starting to feel apprehensive. Imagine the headlines on the newspaper the next day."The prince of Monte George, lost in the palace of Giemsa." Oh, what a laughing stock he would be!

"Clack. Clack" Roy paused for a moment as he heard the sound of someone approaching.

He saw a silhouette of a little boy dash to another hallway. "Halt," he said out loud. The footsteps stopped.

"Make yourself known, young lad."

The child peeked from the corner of the adjacent hallway before he shyly stepped out of the shadows. He looked at Roy, and observed that the latter wore an expensive red coat embroidered with gold and had a stance so regal that he must have been a royal. Seungwoo was not mistaken. The child averted his gaze and looked at the carpeted floor instead.

"Good day, your highness," he went down on one knee. "I apologize for any disturbance I may have caused you."

Roy smiled, amused. "What a well-mannered child you are. It's fine, you can talk to me casually. Tell me your name."

"I'm Seungwoo," he said as he straightened up. He gave a bright innocent smile to the prince.

"And I'm Prince Roy of Monte George," Roy introduced himself.

"Welcome to Giemsa, your highness," Seungwoo said cheerfully. "How has your visit in this humble town been?"

"Quite enjoyable, thank you," Roy said as he placed a hand over Seungwoo's shoulder. "What's a young lad like you doing here in the palace?"

"My father will be playing with the orchestra tonight. He's the pianist."

"A pianist! That's wonderful," Roy exclaimed. "Let's walk back to the ballroom, shall we?"

Seungwoo, now feeling more comfortable around Roy, took his hand and lead him around the labyrinth of hallways till they reached their destination.

"I was actually lost a while ago," Roy finally admitted as he laughed at himself.

Seungwoo looked up at him as he struggled to pry the massive oak doors open. "I know," he said with a mischievous smile. "But worry not, your highness. Your secret is safe with me."

Seungwoo tried once again to push the doors open, but to no avail. Roy finally noticed how Seungwoo struggled and helped the boy open up the doors. They were heavy indeed. He had to exert much of his strength before they budged.

Roy was astounded by the grandeur of the ballroom. He had to admit that it was far more beautiful than that of his own palace. The brightness that emitted from the majestic chandeliers reflected down on the marble floor. Tapestries with intricately woven designs hung over walls. Across the room were long tables laden with food enough to feed an entire village. Everything in the room just boasted of the king's wealth. But none of them could compare to the grand piano.

Or perhaps, Prince Roy wasn't so astounded by the piano, but rather by the pianist.

He became rooted to the spot he stood on. All of a sudden, the glimmering furniture and decoration meant nothing. The slender pianist, swaying as he tickled the ivory, eyes closed as he immersed himself in the music, was finer than the finest centerpiece Roy had seen in his entire privileged life.

It was unusual that a man would have such an effect on him, but it was like how love stories were described in a novel where time would slow and a sweet melody would play. He could only stare at Joonyoung and admire how perfectly Joonyoung played the piano.

Only Seungwoo's light tug at his cuff links brought him out of his daydream.

"Your highness, may I be excused for a moment?" Seungwoo asked. "I have to go to my dad."

"Of course, you may," Roy stuttered as he tried to compose himself. "Of course."

Seungwoo bowed to Roy before he walked briskly to his father, only to be called back by the prince.

"Would you do me the honor of introducing me to your father? Roy asked Seungwoo.

Seungwoo was quite baffled why a royal would use the terms "the honor" to be introduced to his dad, yet he didn't give it much thought. Probably the prince just found his father to be exceptionally talented.

Yet it was more; it was so much more than that.

"As you wish, your highness," Seungwoo said. "I'm sure my father would be more than glad to meet you."

Seungwoo and Roy walked towards the piano, and, unwilling to interrupt the entire orchestra's rehearsal, waited for Joonyoung to finish the song before they spoke to him.

"Dad," Seungwoo said, "there's someone who would like to meet you."

Joonyoung turned to Seungwoo's direction and immediately saw Roy standing behind his son. Judging upon the clothes Roy wore, Joonyoung was able to tell that he was a royal from another kingdom. He gave a deep, respectful bow and waited for Roy to acknowledge him.

"You must be Seungwoo's father," Roy said.

"Indeed, I am, your highness," Joonyoung replied as he straightened his posture. He introduced himself. "I am Joonyoung a mere pianist from this town."

"And I am Prince Roy of Monte George," Roy said as he extended his hand to Joonyoung.

Joonyoung was stricken by the prince's down-to-earth demeanor. He took Roy's hand and shook it.

But wasn't it more proper to kiss the prince's hand instead?

"You play the piano very well, Mister Joonyoung," Roy commended.

"Thank you, your highness," Joonyoung replied, truly gratified.

"Your son is a fine young lad. You and your wife have raised him well."

It was only then, as he said it, that it struck Roy that Joonyoung, of course, had a wife. He was crestfallen, yet he did not show it. Years of training had taught him how to stop his emotions from surfacing to his expression.

"I am a widower, your highness. But thank you for your compliment," Joonyoung answered. "Though I think Seungwoo is inherently kind, and needs very little guidance from me."

"A widower! Oh, I apologize for making such a remark, then. I'm sorry if it brought up any..."

Roy found himself at a loss for words. He was happy to know Joonyoung did not have a significant other, but he did not rejoice that Joonyoung's wife was dead.

But why was he happy? What did the marital status of this pianist have to do with him? Nothing! Nothing at all, yet he started to feel hopeful.

"You don't need to apologize, your highness," Joonyoung reassured him. "There is still an hour before the ball begins. Would you like Seungwoo and me to keep you company till then?"

Roy nodded with a smile. "Most certainly."

Neither Joonyoung nor Roy had noticed that their hands were still clasped around each other. Seungwoo was left to wonder why it took them so long to let go.

 


[ Author's note: I would like to thank  fujosshi  for this lovely fan art. ]