The First Note

The Pianist and the Prince

The First Note

 

Joonyoung's fingers glided nimbly over the ivory. An unfamiliar tune filled the cozy, sunlit room. It was a melody Joonyoung had made up on the spot. He was trying to compose a new song for the ball.

Ah, yes, the ball which was only two weeks away. The king had invited royals and delegates from other kingdoms. It was going to be grand; the king wanted nothing less of extravagant. That would be the last ball the palace would have with him as the reigning king. In a month, his son, the Prince of Giemsa would take over.

Joonyoung was quite reluctant to take the job, though the king would pay him a huge sum for his music. Joonyoung was against the idea of the palace spending lavishly when so many people were going hungry. But he was a musician, and if he refused the offer, he wouldn't be penniless, yet he would not have enough to cover for his yearly expenses.

A small body pressed against his back, interrupting his thoughts. He craned his neck to the side.

"Hello, Seungwoo," he smiled at the boy with brown eyes, pink cheeks and thick bowl-cut hair.

"Good morning, Dad!" the boy exclaimed. He wrapped his arms around his father's waist.

"You just woke up, didn't you?" he asked his son.

He stood up from the piano bench and carried Seungwoo in his lanky but strong arms. "Are you hungry?"

Seungwoo nodded as he hugged Joonyoung's neck. "Did you have breakfast already, Dad?"

"No, I was waiting for you," Joonyoung replied as he walked to the dining room. "I made your favorite for breakfast."

Seungwoo's face lit up. "Hooray!" he cheered before he let out a wheeze which sounded like a puppy's whimper.

Joonyoung put him down on a chair and set the table for their meal.

"We have a lot of lessons to study for today," Joonyoung said.

"Dad, when will I go to school like other boys do?" Seungwoo asked as he watched his father place a fork and knife beside his plate.

"When you're not sick anymore," Joonyoung answered.

Seungwoo let out another wheeze. "What if I'll never be not sick?"

Joonyoung reassuringly placed his hands on his son's shoulders. "You're gonna get better," he told Seungwoo. He kissed Seungwoo's forehead, silently praying that his words would come true.

 


 



 


Joonyoung looked quite dashing in his white coat and tie. He checked his reflection one last time in the mirror beside the old grandfather clock and smiled at himself.

"Seungwoo, are you ready?" he called out. "Do you need help?"

Just as he spoke, the door to Seungwoo's room creaked open. Seungwoo emerged fully dressed in his best clothes.

"My handsome son," Joonyoung grinned as he motioned Seungwoo to come closer to him.

"I'm handsome like you, Dad," Seungwoo chirped playfully.

Joonyoung clad Seungwoo in his warmest coat and thickest gloves before he donned a scarf on the child's neck.

"Warm enough?" Joonyoung asked.

Seungwoo nodded. He was used to this routine. Whenever his father had to play for a ball, he would come along. It was one of the few times he could come out of the house. He was always ecstatic to see men and women dancing around a huge room with crystal chandeliers. They would whirl around in their fancy gowns while his father created lively music with the piano.

Joonyoung and Seungwoo, hand in hand, stepped out into the cool, crisp twilight as they waited on their porch for their carriage.

Seungwoo looked around with his innocent, curious eyes. He longed to wander the streets and run around, as other boys did.

Joonyoung pitied his little boy. Seungwoo was born immunocompromised. He was sickly, just like his mother who had passed away giving birth to him. His skin burned with the slightest exposure to direct sunlight. The dust that came with daytime and bustling people, horses, and carriages was enough to make him terribly ill.

There were rumors that Seungwoo's mother was cursed by a witch. Yet despite the hear-say, Joonyoung had married her anyway. Joonyoung often wondered if what he heard was true, if the curse had been passed on to Seungwoo too.

The horses' hooves clacked on the pavement. The sound of turning wheels became more audible. Joonyoung turned to see their carriage approaching. He took his son's hand and led him in.

"Where are we going tonight, Dad?" Seungwoo asked as they seated themselves comfortably inside the carriage.

"To the palace," Joonyoung answered with a smile.

Seungwoo's eyes shined with excitement. "We're going to see the king! And all the dukes and earls! And princesses too!"

"You have to be in your best behavior," Joonyoung reminded him gently.

"Yes, Dad, I promise," Seungwoo said, still bouncing with happiness.