Why

Why [One shot]

 

It was break time. They didn’t have any schedules for the month so everybody was back in their own home. After a quick wash up, Yoseob plopped down on the sofa across the television in the living room. He stuck his hand into the space between the arm rest and the seat and pulls out a remote control. Seconds upon pressing the first button on the remote, Yoseob saw familiar faces on the screen – well of course he would be familiar with those faces – those are his colleagues. The MC of the programme then said ‘The first place of boyfriend-idol goes to BEAST’s Yoon Doojoon, again! Congratulations!’  

After processing what he just heard. Yoseob came to a conclusion that he doesn't understand. He doesn't understand why other female colleagues always pick Doojoon as their ideal boyfriend. He spent years with Doojoon and he still doesn’t see how he is a boyfriend material let alone being an ideal one.

Just then, Haeyeon came tumbling down the stairs and found a place to settle down for the rest of the day - next to Yoseob. Haeyeon tilted her head right and rests it on Yoseob’s shoulders. It strikes Yoseob – he could find his answer to his doubt – or maybe not.

He moves his shoulder a little, shaking Haeyeon off and opens his mouth ‘Noona, why do you think females wants Doojoon as their boyfriend? Do you see him as an ideal too?’ Haeyeon pondered for a second. Skipping the first question and answering the second one with a firm tone ‘Yes of course! Why not? He could be my boyfriend for real if you introduce me to him instead of keeping him to yourself….’ Yoseob snorted, poked his sister in her stomach. ‘Back off he is mine.’

Haeyeon giggled. ‘Yes yes yes, all yours and nobody touches him alright.’ ‘But why wouldn’t you know why girls pick him as an ideal boyfriend? I mean you should know it the best, he is your you know – boyfriend.’ Yoseob thought about it for a bit and replied ‘Hmm… You’re right noona. But I really don’t know why he is my boyfriend anyway.’

Yoseob’s attention immediately turned back to the television as he heard the familiar voice he had been missing – Doojoon’s voice. They were on the phone just few hours ago and he already misses it. ‘I would pick 4Minute’s Gayoon as my girlfriend’. Yoseob pouted. He stared at the television like as if he was going to gulp it down his tiny mouth. He switches the television off and tossed the remote onto the coffee table.

A minute of silence – two – three – five – ten. That’s it.

Haeyeon put down her phone after replying texts and tossed her right arm onto Yoseob’s left shoulder and said ‘Come on don’t tell me you’re going to sulk the whole day just because you’re jealous.’ Yoseob tried shaking it off with a wide but fake grin on his face. He was trying too hard. Do you think you can actually fool someone who has been living with you for over twenty years? Of course not.

‘Take a look at in the mirror now. You look horrible. Hurry up go get your gloomy face washed away into the sink. Doojoon will pick you up in 5 minutes time. A minute late and Doojoon’s dinner partner will be me, Yang Haeyeon and not you Yang Yoseob’ Yoseob sprang up and dashed into the bathroom for a quick wash up.

The doorbell rang. Haeyeon stood up and went to open the door when Yoseob came running towards the door, opening it before Haeyeon even reaches it. Haeyeon smiles. ‘That’s more like it’. ‘Hey. I heard from Haeyeon that you heard something that came from me. Well I didn’t mean to announce to the world and I’m sure you know I’m neither interested in boyfriends or girlfriends because the only one that attracts me is someone called Yang Yoseob ’