Late Night Visitor

Neighberic [HIATUS]

 

 

The doorbell rang and before Minwoo could even reach the door it rang again. Who was at the door this late? No one came to mind. He didn't really have that many friends outside of work, and he knew nobody that would dare visit him so late without at least calling first. After the third ring, there was a loud banging on the door. He was starting to get scared, was it an intruder? But why would he then ring the doorbell, this made no sense. Had something bad happened and the police were here? Either with devastating news or here to arrest him for a crime he didn't commit? Whatever it was, whoever it was, it couldn't be good. Should he pretend he wasn't at home? Judging by the intensity of the knock, the next step would be to break the door down. He quite liked the idea of having a front door, so he hurried over and took a careful peek through the peephole.

He stood on his toes, trying to focus on the blurry figure on the other side of the door. He froze. It was the Mud Monster from earlier!! What was it doing here? Seeking revenge after the elevator incident!? How had it even gotten in, had someone actually been so reckless as to let it into the building? There was no way he was opening the door. He didn't fancy being killed in the dead of night by some mysterious homeless creature. He wanted to call the police, but his phone was all the way on the other side of the apartment. He was afraid that if he made a sound, the monster would come barging in and manage to overpower him before he could reach it. But it was his only chance.

 

He took a deep breath to calm his nerves, his heart was pounding so hard he was getting a headache. He could do this, he tried to convince himself. It was now or never. But as he turned, his sleeve got caught on the doorknob, making a bit of a ruckus. Ahhh, why! Why was he so unlucky?

 

“I can hear you in there!” a soft voice said on the other side of the door. ! What now? He had no choice but to open and hope that the monster wouldn't attack him. He bit his lip as he unlocked the door. It squeaked a bit when it opened, maybe it was nervous too, or trying to warn him of the imminent threat standing in front of it.

 

“Oh hey, you're the guy from the elevator! Why didn't you hold it open for me?”. The monster wasn't a monster at all, it was just a very filthy guy that now had a great big pout forming on his perfectly heart shaped lips. The mud he was covered in from head to toe was starting to dry, so it rained mud flakes each time he made the slightest little movement. “Oh eh, sorry, the button must be broken..” Minwoo shrugged, giving him an awkward apologetic half smile. Why was he so dirty, what on Earth had he been doing? “Ah, okay, it had to be something like that.” the guy's frown turned upside down, relieved, revealing a cute, innocent looking doggy face. Minwoo almost wanted to pinch his cheeks, but there was no way he was going to follow his urge down that road.

An awkward silence took over the air, making it a little uncomfortable to breathe. When the guy didn't seem to have any plans of further communication, Minwoo asked hesitantly “So... ehm... what.. can I do you for?”. “Oh, he he..” the guy snickered shyly. “Can I use your shower, mine is broken you see and the janitor isn't around until tomorrow.” he grinned. Minwoo felt his jaw hit the floor, breaking into a million little pieces. Use his shower? Was this guy completely mental? Who knocked on a strangers door at an ungodly hour asking to use their shower?! But the weirdo didn't even wait for an answer, he just gave him a quick pat on the shoulder and pushed his way into the apartment.

 

“Thanks neighbor!”