Mud Monster

Neighberic [HIATUS]

 


Minwoo sighed. He was so tired that the elevator ride up to his apartment seemed like having to cross the Sahara desert on foot with no water. Ah, why did he have to think about water, his throat felt like sandpaper on sandpaper when he tried to swallow. He had overdone it today, deadlines were the worst. Especially when their idiot of a boss didn't have a clue how much time was needed for the most basic of things, giving them a completely irrational time frame based on a fantasy world existing only in his boss's brain. He hadn't slept for a week, only an hour here or there when he was about to faint. 
Thankfully they had pulled it off, not that their boss was grateful or had any idea what he had just put them through. He was even slightly annoyed that he hadn't gotten exactly what he had wanted. They had done their best with what they had, which was not much, but their boss didn't even bother to thank them for their hard work, not one kind word. And they had to be back first thing the next morning. They didn't even get time to recuperate from the lack of sleep! Minwoo's annoyance was turning into rage. Why was he getting all worked up now, it was pointless. It would only make it harder to fall asleep when he finally could let himself fall into the paradise that was his bed. 

Minwoo pushed the elevator button, almost dropping the folder that was in his hand. His phone burped. “Ah, Andy, not again!” Minwoo chuckled. Andy messed up his ringtones every chance he got, leading to some very embarrassing moments at the bank and grocery store, just to name a few. He had begged him to stop, but that had only egged him on. Minwoo fished his phone out of his pocket, a message. It was a photo of the boss's ! Minwoo snorted. When had he even taken this?! Ah, he was hilarious. Andy was the reason Minwoo was still working there. If not for him, he would've quit years ago. They were a good team. When Minwoo's stress levels peeked, Andy knew just what to do. And when Andy panicked or got into one of his moods, Minwoo had a special gift of being able to distract him until he forgot about his troubles. 
The boss's behind wasn't bad though, nor was the rest of his body. He was a handsome son of a , that was for sure. Minwoo's first thought when he saw him had been 'Hmm, are there some rules about not banging your boss?'. It had only taken around 5 minutes to kill that thought though. What a bastard. 

The wait for the elevator felt like eternity, but finally it arrived. He had only just entered it when he heard “Hey!”. He turned around and cringed. He wasn't sure what he was looking at. A brown slimy sewer monster that had a thing for plastic bags? It was heading right towards him. No, no, no! Not only would it take longer to get to his bed, cutting at least 5 minutes off his preciously short beauty sleep, but that thing would stink up the elevator and probably get dirt on him as well. Besides, could it be that this sewer monster lived in this building? Minwoo doubted it, this was a respectable building, the residents here were all very well off. Minwoo was the poor one in the building, and even he was doing quite alright. No, this had to be some lunatic. Or a very unsuccessful thief, using the stink-coat as a cover or something. 

To operate the elevator you needed a resident's card, and there was a log of who's card was used each time, as well as a surveillance camera in the elevator. Minwoo was not going to be known as the one who unleashed the terror of the mud monster on their building. No way! 
Minwoo's heart was racing as he repeatedly pressed the 'close'-button. Close damn it, close! It felt like everything was in slow motion except the mud demon, which was steadily gaining on him, waving the plastic bags around in the air. It was really a scary sight.

'Please close, just this once, for me.' Minwoo prayed.

Finally the doors started to close. Would he make it? The creature was almost there. Minwoo's heart was about to burst, he could feel the blood pulsating through his entire body. “Hold it!” the demon yelled. Minwoo was almost hyperventilating, his finger hurting from pushing the 'close'-button so often. Faster!

There was only a crack in the door now. The monster lunged forwards, trying to stop it from closing. Minwoo froze. For a second it looked like it was going to make it, but luckily the door shut right before it could slither its slimy hands into the gap. There was a muffled *dunk* sound. Had it crashed into the doors? Ugh, and made them all greasy and sticky. Minwoo shivered. He at least had gotten away, thank heavens for small favors.