9: The Makeover

Bamboo Garden
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Can I do something for you?" Donghae asked me one day out of the blue.

I looked up from my laptop and pushed my reading glasses up on my nose.  "You can make me a sandwich."

He gave me a withering look.  "Not that.  I want to give you a makeover."

"Why?  You don't think I'm cute?"  I struck a pose in my seat and even to my untrained eye I'm sure it was ridiculous.

"Umm... Do you want the truth?"

"That's mean!  What would this makeover entail?"

"Just a haircut and an outfit."

"Like a trim?"

"Something like that, yeah.  Maybe a few highlights."

"Highlights?  Isn't that kind of gay?  Even for me?"

"No, I'll make sure you look good.  Trust me."

"Why do I feel like I'm going to regret this?"  I saved my work and powered down my computer.  I needed a break from work anyway.  "Is it going to take long?"

"It depends on whether you cooperate or not.  If you do everything I say, you'll be back in no time."

"Alright, but if I end up looking weird I'm going to break your other arm."  I went to my bedroom to grab my wallet and phone.  When I came back out Donghae already had his shoes on and was waiting by the door.  "There is a barber just down the street."

"You're not going to the neighborhood barber like a grandpa.  You're going to my stylist for a real haircut."

"A trim," I corrected him.

"That's what I meant."

I frowned at him as he flagged down a taxi.  "I'm serious."

"I know.  Stop pouting.  I have to be seen in public with you too, so I'm going to make you look good."

"You mean look better, right?"

"Same thing."

"No it's not!  You're saying I'm ugly right now!"

"You're not ugly..." he ran his fingers through my dark messy hair and tried to style it, but failed miserably.  "Just not as good as you could be."

"Oh my God, just stop talking to me.  I can't believe you think I'm ugly.  You're a pretty ty friend."

"If I was a ty friend then I would just let you walk around with ugly hair, but I'm a good friend, so I'm taking you to get it fixed."

"So you admit that I have ugly hair."

"Will you just shut up?  We're here."

The taxi pulled up to a posh salon in Cheongdamdong and Donghae led me inside.  There was a small army of stylists and manicurists tending to every sort of client.  Although the salon appeared exclusive from the outside, there didn't seem to be any discrimination when it came to the clientele inside, which made me feel a little more comfortable.  I followed my roommate towards a tall man working at a spacious station near the back.

"Hey Zhou-Mi!"

"Donghae!  What happened to your arm?"

"I was attacked by a small tribe of nomadic biker pygmy's, but don't worry, I showed them who was boss."

The stylist looked at him like he was crazy and I just shook my head in disbelief.  Donghae had a different wild story every time someone asked him about his cast.

"It seems like I just saw you.  Do you want to change your style already?" he asked with a slight Mandarin accent.

"No, I want you to work on my friend here."  He pulled me over and stood me in front of the tall man.  "Zhou-Mi, this is my roommate Hyukjae.  Hyukjae, this is Zhou-Mi, he's fabulous."

"Nice to meet you."  I made a polite bow, but the man ignored my greeting and his fingers went straight for my hair.  He started running his long fingers through the strands like Donghae had earlier and pulling at different sections.  Donghae started cracking up while he watched his friend pick through my hair.

"You guys look like a pair of monkeys!" he said between giggles.

"Well you look like a fish," I said before sticking my tongue out at my roommate.

"I have a client soon.  If you come back in a couple of hours I can squeeze you in."

"That's perfect.  We need to go buy some new clothes anyway," Donghae said.

Zhou-Mi just nodded while looking me up and down with a disapproving stare.

Donghae and I walked to a nearby shopping center and he was promptly possessed by some sort of shopping demon.  He had to touch everything and the things he didn't touch he hissed at.  It was really funny and really time consuming.  "Are we going to look at clothes anytime soon?" I asked as he went through every necklace on display at a small kiosk between shops.

"Accessorizing is just as important as clothing."  He held up a silver pendant and put it against my chest.  "What do you think?"

"I think it's a necklace."

"Yeah... a monkey necklace.  I'll buy it for you."

"Donghae, I don't need a monkey necklace!  Save your money!'

"How much?" he asked the cashier.

I growled and walked into the nearest store.  Why is he wasting money on something I won't wear?!  I was looking through a rack of hoodies when Donghae found me.

"You're not buying another hoodie!"

"Why not?  I like hoodies."

"Exactly.  They're cute, but they're frumpy unless you're a skater, which you're not."

"So now I have an ugly haircut and I'm frumpy?"  Donghae bit his lip then turned around and walked over to a rack of tank tops.  " you, at least I wear clothes."

My roommate laughed while he pulled out shirt after shirt for me to try on.  "I also said they were cute, right?  A makeover means changing your style.  Instead of cute, let's get you something hot."

"I can't pull off a y style."

"Yes you can, trust me."  Donghae went over to a jean display and went crazy whe

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter