Fin

Why did I fall in love with you?

“It’s been a long time huh?” He said as he leans over the bridge with his eyes close.

_____

6 years ago…

Do Kyungsoo wasn’t really fond of rain. He always thinks that it’s troublesome whenever those drops of water fall from the sky. He pushes his sleeves up a bit as he stepped out and held out his umbrella and opens it. The rain was soft and light, yet still makes him uneasy just thinking of avoiding those puddles. He was just five feet away from the entrance when someone suddenly ducks underneath the black umbrella that he was holding. Wet blonde hair was brushed up, a few drops was left dripping on his face, his grey shirt turned black.

“Sorry, but, can you share your umbrella with me?”

At that time, Kyungsoo’s heart was pounding fast when he saw the man’s face.

The eyes that held him captive for ten seconds to which he feels like it had been more than that.

_____

“So... I heard that you’re getting married?”

Kyungsoo asked as Kris walks by and stopped beside him. There was an awkward gap in their height even though both of them are males.

“Yeah.”

Kris’ answer was short. No explanations were needed. And Kyungsoo just nodded as he stared blankly at the vast river.

_____

It’s his first class of the day and Kyungsoo almost got late due to the rain that he really hates. He looks over the room to check for any empty seats left. He was hoping that there was one just about the front of the professor, but much to his luck, it’s been used up. He decided to settle down beside a guy who sleeping over the desk. Quietly, he slip on the chair and pulled out his notebook and pen. Everything that he wrote on his notes was precise, writing down all of the details that the professor was saying.

He heard a groan and saw that the guy was about to wake up when it has been halfway towards finishing the class. Kyungsoo thought of how irresponsible the man is and that he didn’t want to be meddled with him.

“Hey.”

He heard him called but decided to ignore him.

“Hey.”

The man called again, and Kyungsoo decided to look back.

“I’m right. It’s you.”

The man gave him a lopsided smile, making Kyungsoo’s heart beat fast, like the last time he saw those dark brown eyes.

_____

Both of them were not talking. Just breathing the same air, looking at the same sight, yet unknown to them that their heart was beating fast and at the same time.

Kyungsoo clasps his hands together and closes his eyes as if making a prayer, except he doesn’t know what he is praying for.

For his happiness, maybe?

Yet, he knew that won’t happen.

_____

It was a normal, friendly gathering night, and Kyungsoo decided to come since he was free and wanted to loosen up a bit. He met with his best friend, Baekhyun, at a coffee shop in Hongdae before going to the restaurant where they will meet with the others.

“Hey, Kyung. How are you?” Baekhyun asked as he removes his coat and sat down on the chair in front of Kyungsoo.

Kyungsoo finishes the last sentence of the article he’s reading before looking up and greeting Baekhyun with a smile. “I’m good.” He pushes his glasses up, to which he sometimes thought it was futile since it’ll just droop down again. “And you?”

“Never been better.” Baekhyun had his neck bend as he tries to catch a glimpse of the menu from where they were seated. “Or rather… at least school’s not eating me. Yet.”

Kyungsoo resumes on reading the paper again. “Oh, yeah, what about that girl you were dating. What was her name again? Tae…Tae…min?”

“What? No! That’s her twin brother! It’s Taeyeon. My god, Soo.”

Kyungsoo chuckles.

 

The bell on the door of the coffee shop rings. Baekhyun went to the counter to get his order and Kyungsoo was too hung up with the article.

“Hey.”

“Hey Baek, what did you get…?” Kyungsoo’s eyes widened as he saw those piercing dark brown eyes that he saw on the troublesome rain.

_____

“How are the others?” Kris crosses his arms on his chest, his back leaning on the rails of the bridge. It was cold that night.

“They’re still the same.”  Kyungsoo’s tone was monotonous.

_____

Kyungsoo was surprised to see the man again. Definitely not expecting him to be there.

“Excuse me, but that seat’s taken.” Baekhyun sassily said but as soon as Yifan turned around Bakehyun’s eyes widened in surprise and recognition. “Duizhang! Is that really you?”

Kyungsoo blinks wildly as he stared at his best friend and the man who always greets him with a casual ‘Hey’.

“I didn’t know you came back. Since when have you been here? You stupid jerk.” Baekhyun’s language is a bit, how do Kyungsoo should say this, appalling. But Baekhyun is Baekhyun. He may have a dirty mouth but he only does that with his friends.

Kyungsoo is still watching the two when Baekhyun realize that Kyungsoo might feel a bit out of place.

“Oh, Kyungsoo, this is Kris. He was a member of the club that I’m in during high school.” Baekhyun made a gesture towards the man. “And this, Duizhang, is my smart- friend Kyungsoo.”

“What’s with the ‘smart-’?” Kyungsoo stood up and bowed. “I’m sorry for his language.”

Kris laughed and then offered his hand instead of bowing. “It’s okay. I’m used to him being like that. And I haven’t thanked you for the other day and the other day before that.”

Kyungsoo took his hands in his. The first time he was touching his hands. Warm, big and rough. Kyungsoo sits back to his chair but decided to fold the paper that he was reading as a mark. He can return to that page any time.

“You two know each other?” Baekhyun asked, but with a less hint of surprise there.

“Well, yeah, uhm, no… How do I say this…” Kris turned to Baekhyun and rubs the back of his neck. That gesture that people usually do when they trying to think of something.

“It was raining and he just casually jumps under my umbrella. And also he was in one of my classes the next day.” It’s not a big deal, Kyungsoo wants to add that but stopped.

“As always Duizhang! Why don’t you buy your own umbrella? You’re stinking rich yet you can’t even buy one—“

“Hey, hey, hey! Being rich and buying an umbrella are two different things.” Kris defended himself.

“Actually, if you are rich it means you can buy an umbrella.” Kyungsoo said.

“See? See the logic there?” Baekhyun said defensively.

“Not much logic is used there. Just common sense, Baek.” Kyungsoo casually said with a smile.

“Hmp! We are supposed to be a team to bully this guy! Kyungsoo you traitor.” Baekhyun pouted which makes Kyungsoo and Kris laughed at the same time. Both their laugh were like bells to the ear as their eyes met for a second. Kyungsoo felt something tug at his chest yet he dismiss that.

_____

“Soo.”

The way Kris calls his name was like dry ice dragging on his skin. Cool yet painful.

“Yeah?”

“Do you remember what you said before?”

“Which one?” Kyungsoo tries to act dumb, even if he knows what Kris was pertaining to.

There was a minute of silence before Kris said, “Nevermind.” And continues to stare at the river covered with the city lights.

_____

3 years ago…

Everyone was drunk, almost everyone except for Kyungsoo and Kris who was dragging Baekhyun, who was swinging himself left and right. Baekhyun left their shoulder and ran to a pavement and lie down.

It was halfway through the end of fall. Brown leaves falling all over the streets and chills running on the back of their necks.

After fall, there will be winter, then spring and summer…

“Ahh! Why is my world spinning? Taeyeon-ah~ Taeyeon-ah~ where are you now? Why did you leave me?! I love you! I love you verrrryyyy muuuuch! Yet why? Tell me! Why!?”

Baekhyun was sobbing and the only thing that the two can do was to let him be and cry out his heart.

“Kyungsoo, promise me that you’ll never let me embarrass myself like that.” Kris said.

“I don’t think I can promise you that.” Then Kris looks questionably at Kyungsoo who shooks his head, “Because I would also be drunk if you got hurt.”

Kyungsoo wants to clasp his hands over his mouth but didn’t. It’s too obvious how Kris means to him at that time. But what does he mean to the other? A friend? A really good friend? Close friend? Best friend? If that was the only way that he could be close to him, nonetheless he would gladly accept that role.

_____

“I’m sorry that you didn’t get the Best Man role. Yuri is really persistent about her brother, so I can’t really say no.”

It didn’t really bother Kyungsoo if he didn’t get to be the Best Man in his wedding.

“Don’t worry about it. It’s fine.”

_____

2 years ago…

 It was their graduation, and even if they have different major all of them were together after the ceremony. In black coat and tie, all of them look handsome.

“Who’s going to the after party? It’s my treat!” Joonmyun yelled.

“Woohoo!” all of them screamed.

“Hey guys, how ‘bout some group picture?” Minseok asked.

“Yeah, sure.” Luhan said and clings himself to his best friends, Minseok.

“Hey Soo, come here!” Kris called Kyungsoo over and the man drapes his arm over him and looking straight at the camera with a big grin. Kyungsoo was watching him and can’t help but be happy about it.

“Soo! Look at here!” Chanyeol called, making Kyungsoo turned his head quickly, not wanting to be caught.

“Okay. One, Two—,” Chanyeol runs beside Joonmyun and grinned infectiously. “Kimchi!”

Everyone was looking at the camera, with that big smile on their faces.

_____

“I think we need to go now. Sorry for calling you out tonight.” Kris said as he tucks his hands on his pocket.

“No worries. It’s what friends are for.”

Kris smiled as he turned to face Kyungsoo. “Just don’t forget to come to the wedding, okay? Or I’ll kill you Soo.”

Kyungsoo laughed softly and said, “I wouldn’t miss it!”

Both of them waved goodbye and turned around to their path.

Kyungsoo took out his phone quickly; dialling that number of the person he needed the most.

Baekhyun groaned on the other line, seems like he was sleeping already. “Yeah?”

“Hey Baek.”

Baekhyun quickly sat up, “Hey Soo.” He felt the uneasiness in his voice.

“Can… can you tell me I did well? That I did okay?” Kyungsoo’s voice was cracking and Baekhyun knows.

“Yes, Soo. You did well. You just did fine.”

Kyungsoo was always there when Baekhyun needs him, but this time Kyungsoo was alone nursing the throbbing in his chest. He held a hand over it and tears starts to roll down.

 

 

Kyungsoo hates rain.

 

 

 

 Because it reminds him of his own tears.

_____

It was Kris’ wedding day, and as promised, Kyungsoo was there throwing rice at the newlyweds, wishing them prosperity.

Kyungsoo was smiling sincerely, even having that heart pound hard as he saw the man walking out with his bride on his arm, his lips never wavered.

When their eyes met, Kris smiled and nodded, to which Kyungsoo responded with a heart-shaped smile and continuously throws rice at them ‘til they reached the car.

_____

3 years ago…

“Hey Soo”

“Yeah?”

“What if…What if you could go back in time, is there something you want to change?”

Kyungsoo was silent, thinking of an answer.

Kris was fidgeting, waiting for his response.

“Nope.”

As soon as Kyungsoo gave his answer, Kris understood. The man drapes his arm over his shoulder and said,”Let’s get drunk!”

“Why?”

Kris just shrugs and drags Kyungsoo towards the nearest convenience store.

Kris at that time was indecisive about his life, what path he should take and should he still be stuck in the past. Yet he knows Kyungsoo isn’t like him at all.

_____

2 hours before Kyungsoo and Kris’ meets at the bridge.

“Baek.” Kris was standing by the rails, his hands clasps together.

“Oh, hey Duizhang.” Baekhyun patted Kris’ shoulder and stood beside him, watching the sun set down the river.

There was an eerie silence and Baekhyun wasn’t used to this ‘serious talk’.

“Is there a problem?”

“No, no. everything’s good.”

“Okay.” Baekhyun shuts his mouth for a minute before bursting out. “Don’t tell me you want to back out on your wedding!?”

Kris laughs out loud and shook his head, “No, of course not. I’ve already given myself time to think about it.”

“Hm, okay.” Baekhyun’s shoulders relaxed. “But you know, I never thought that you’d still marry that woman your parents arranged you to.”

“Yeah, me too.” Kris’ voice was solemn. “But Yuri is a perfect wife.” He smiles but not to the extent of having his teeth shown.

“But something’s missing?”

Kris was surprised with the question but just nodded.

“Oh, well, life’s like that. You can’t really get everything. And sometimes you’re just stuck to what you have now. And you have Yuri now. You can’t just dump her and run off to some place.”

Kris was smart enough not to do that and Baekhyun also knew that yet he still suggests the stupid idea. Maybe Baekhyun is giving Kris a hint.

“Run off and don’t ever look back.” Kris smiled to himself. “It sounds pretty stupid.”

“I know.” Baekhyun said. “But really, I just want you to be happy.”

“I’ll try to.”

“I guess I should go now. I’m really tired from work. You’re lucky that the Great Me is here to listen to your thought.”

“Thanks Baek.”

Baekhyun walks off, leaving Kris hanging with the thought of running away. But Kris isn’t that stupid/ he wouldn’t do something like that.

Or maybe he would if only He had given him that answer that he wanted to hear.

The breeze by the river was cool. It reminds him of the rain at that time.

_____

“Soo… Let’s run away!” Kyungsoo was dragging Kris’ along the pavements, toward the man’s apartment after letting him drink a couple of alcohol.

“Yeah, yeah, let’s run away when the cops appeared out of nowhere.”

“No.No.No.” Kris let’s go of Kyungsoo and run ahead and spreads his arms and said. “You. Me. Against the world. No rules.”

“Silly Duizhang. Let’s go. You sound really stupid right now.” Kyungsoo tries to grab the man’s arm but Kris’ captured him instead, making his face flush as they were a few centimeters away. Kris’ shapr eyes were soft and looks hazel at that night.

Kris knows that he can kiss the man and can obtain happiness for eternity.

But he didn’t do it. Instead, he pushes Kyungsoo and walks ahead and waved, “I…I’ll be fine. I can walk home by myself.”

Kyungsoo looks confused but he turned around and walks the opposite direction to his home.

_____

Kyungsoo was sitting at the edge of his bed when he received a message. He flips his phone open, to be greeted with a message from Kris.

[Hey Soo.]

[Yeah?]

[Thanks.]

[Welcome ^^]

Kyungsoo closes his phone and held it to his chest. Just a simple short message from a man who doesn’t always send one makes him feel special. At least at that moment he felt like something between them, a secret or maybe telepathy or a mind connection, any of those will do, Kyungsoo feels special.

Kris’ special person.

Is what Kyungsoo wants to be.

Even if he ends up not telling him what he feels and lies to himself all the time.


A/N:

Okay, i know my writing and this should be angst and it's kind of a cliff hanger. no? i just hope not. 
Anywho~ please enjoy!!!

comments are highly appreciated :D

-Jamie