Avant

L'avenir Est Le Passé

 

 


 

 
 
The irony of life, he thought, is that he got himself to where he is now.
 
 
 
People always said that life was cruel, life was out to get them. But on the other hand, he was, incoherently, happy. No one understood why, but it's clear, he has his life together.
 
 
 
He sped through the streets of San Francisco in his flashly Porsche, gaining apathetic looks from the hip bistanders that roamed the streets.
 
 
 
Arriving to the front of his building, he handed off his keys to the valet, and walked into San Francisco's newest and most popular upscale restaurant.
 
 
 
"Hello, Mr. Lee!" said the entire staff once they all caught a glimpse at him.
 
 
 
Waving at everyone, he took a seat in his usual spot and took off his sunglasses. 
 
 
 
The head waitress came to take his order, "Hi boss, your usual order?"
 
 
 
Smiling, he added, "Don't forget the wine, but I'm also waiting for someone."
 
 
 
She nodded, "I'll be back in a few to take their order." It was obvious the sight of him has swooned her and the rest of the employees. 
 
 
 
Donghae sighed.
 
 
 
He was a wealthy 35 year old bachelor, with a past of being in a popular Korean boy band. He was good looking, intelligent, and had more than enough money. What else could he possibly want?
 
 
 
His date arrived, and took a seat right in front of him. "So this is your restaurant?" she smirked, her way of saying hello.
 
 
 
"Nice seeing you again, Anna," he said, while signaling the waitress to get her order.
 
 
 
Anna was different. Well different from the girls he's dated, or the girl he dated. Anna was a 29 year old with wavy chestnut hair and light brown eyes. She was Italian, but grew up in California. 
 
 
He needed different.
 
 
 
Picking out the best course for her, he was excited for her to try the creation he spent months working on. 
 
 
 
The date was casual, filled with conversations that you'd hear on a first date. 
 
 
 
However, this was be their second, technically. 
 
 
 
Their first encounter was at a lounge a week ago, and of course, he took her back to his apartment and they hit it off. As it was just a typical Saturday night for him, however, she was, again, different.
 
 
 
Anna reminded him of her, with her sense of humor. She was worth getting to know. However, her personality was the total opposite, the slight resemblence was enough for him. Humor was important to him, and he seemed to have lost it two years ago, slowly gaining the sense back ever since. 
 
 
 
He actually lost himself.
 
 
 
Don't get him wrong, he wasn't hopelessly in love with someone else... There was nothing hopeless about it, it was his decision to break things off. Or, more accurately, his choice to leave her.
 
 
 
"So, I hope you don't take this the wrong way," she started, gaining a skeptical look from him, "But I noticed you had a picture in your apartment framed of you and fourteen other guys in what looked to be a red carpet.."
 
 
 
He chuckled, "You found out.."
 
 
 
"Well, I googled your name, and I was surprised," she shrugged, softly smiling. "I can't believe you were in a boy band!"
 
 
 
Laughing, they got along well.
 
 
 
Ending their date, they parted ways and he returned to his apartment.
 
 
 
He walked to the hallway, where the photo she mentioned, it was a photo of the guys in their last event together, as Hangeng and Kibum came specially for this event. 
 
 
 
It was bittersweet, leaving the brothers he'd grown up with, leaving his family. But at the same time, it was refreshing to leave her. He didn't hate her, she just.. resented her, if he could pick a word.
 
 
 
His feeling for her never went away, of course they remained. He resented her because of that reason. Not being able to get over someone causes pain and hatred to build up inside. He even began to loathe himself, but leaving her in that vulnerable state.
 
 
 
Nothing was getting through to her, so he had to do it. He thought, attempting to rationalize his choice from two years ago.
 
 
 
Of course, nothing could rationalize her choice.
 
 
 
How dare she pick a career over a future? It didn't make any sense to him. The familiar anger built up again, everytime he thought about her. The ache came back as well.
 
 
 
Shaking his thoughts, he decided to end the night early. 
 
 
 
"No more," he said to himself. 
 
 

Sorry it's been so long..and sorry this is short.. But I'm working on it.

xx.