Chapter 2: Switch

Marionette Heart

Switch (swch)
noun
A mechanical, electrical, electronic, or optical device for opening or closing a circuit or for diverting energy from one part of a circuit to another.

 



When Luhan and Minseok got to the house, they were relieved to find it empty of people. A banana post-it on the fridge told them that Joonmyun took Sehun and Zitao out to get food. The rest were either getting their much needed sleep or out partying. Luhan tiptoed to his room with Minseok following closely, still carrying the robot. Minseok was the strongest out of the housemates so carrying the robot that weighed like a baby whale was not too big of an obstacle for him but Minseok’s arms were growing numb because of the coldness of the human-like machinery. Both of them could hear the loud, growl-like snores from Chanyeol’s room and carefully snuck past the room.


Squeakkk~


The two men froze and Luhan dropped his wide eyes down at his foot that was stepping on a rubber chicken and looked back at his friend who mouthed profanity at the Chinese man. Luhan slowly lifted his foot off the chicken, only for it to scream dejectedly once more. Luhan bit down on his bottom lip and winced as Chanyeol’s snore stopped. Then...


Snoreeeeee~


Luhan and Minseok looked at each other and ran on their tiptoes to Luhan’s room.


“That was close!” Luhan panted, sliding down his door when his legs gave away. “Remind me to tell Chen to put away his toys.”


“Yeah.” Minseok said, rubbing his cold arms. In unison, they turned to the robot that lied unmoving on Luhan’s bed. It was easy to mistake it for a sleeping boy. Like Luhan said, the robot was incredibly human looking. It had a dark shade of brown hair matching the groomed set of eyebrows and long eyelashes. Its full lips were ever so slightly chapped. There were moles scattered randomly yet it seemed to hold some kind of a pattern across the milky white flesh. The Bot looked real. It looked human. Its existence itself, like its moles, was a contradiction. "Sooo... how do we activate it?" Luhan whispered.


"Shouldn't there be a switch of some sort?" Minseok said kneeling by the bed and unwrapped the white strips of cloth to reveal the Bot was wearing a large T-shirt and a pair of black slacks underneath. When Minseok didn't find some kind of switch on the Bot's soft hands or arms or its head, Luhan joined Minseok's search for a switch.

EXO


"Okay. It's official." Luhan groaned, slumping onto the floor. "We brought home a dead body, not a Bot."


They'd both poked and prodded the Bot's body for the past hour in search of a switch in vain. Armpits, back of the knees, each individual toes, belly button, every patch of the Bot's body had been checked for a potential switch.


Nothing.


"Well, there is one place we haven't looked." Luhan voiced their unspoken thought.


Minseok was about to scold Luhan for his erse thoughts when a loud noise startled them into standing. “What was that?” Minseok gasped.


Did the police come for them? DID THEY SOMEHOW FIND OUT ABOUT THE BOT?! OH MY GOD!!!


Luhan must be thinking the same thing because his face blanched. They shakily walked out of Luhan’s room, expecting police officers to aim their firearms at them and read them their miranda rights before they were put behind bars but instead, crowding around the corridor were their friends. All of them; cheering and pulling the strings of the confetti poppers (the source of the loud noise).


“Lu ge! Min ge!” Yixing grinned widely, waving them over to join yet another 'end of the year' party. There were already booze being distributed and of course, skipping Sehun because his birthday was not until a couple of months. Yixing was already buzzed but he’d always had a low tolerance for drinking. Yixing was a happy drunk; the one who always laughs and gets overly affectionate (becoming a kissing monster) so no one was truly surprised when he landed a big one on Minseok’s cheek.


“I will play everyone a song!” Chanyeol cheered over the noise, holding up his guitar with one hand. Baekhyun threw a cushion at the loud giant which made him sulk in a corner, playing sad guitar music. Joonmyun kept an eye on Sehun to make sure the maknae was not drinking alcohol of any sort while Zitao handed Sehun ‘sparkling apple juice’ which was actually beer. Jongin drank sensibly and was really the adult of the party. Jongdae and Yifan were ignoring the alcohol in favor of besting the other in a game of Mario Karts.


Luhan and Minseok looked back at the closed door of Luhan’s room and shrugged at each other. If the police does indeed find them later in the future then better party all they can while they still can. They both accepted the beer bottles handed to them by Yixing.


“To partying our cares away!” The definitely-on-his-way-drunkenness Yixing cheered in barely coherent Korean, smacking his lips against Joonmyun’s cheek (if Joonmyun hadn’t moved at the last minute, instead of his cheek, his lips would’ve connected with Yixing’s). Minseok and Luhan exchanged a look before solemnly clinking their beer bottles together and downed the alcohol in one shot.
 

EXO
 

Zhang Yixing wobbly navigated his way around the house to get to the bathroom only to lose his way because of the alcohol disorienting him. Even though his bladder was screaming at him, Yixing was a born and bred gentlemen who will definitely not, despite what his bladder is telling him, randomly pee around the house. He made it somehow to a bathroom and tripped onto a mattress as he got out. Yixing giggled, watching the paper towel that he was using to wipe his hands floated in the air until it floated down to his nose. He blew on the slightly damp paper towel and giggled again when it feebly slipped off his face.


"Hm?" Yixing blinked slowly. He pushed himself up with one elbow and squinted at the person next to him. A stranger? "How did you get in here?" He asked the stranger on the mattress next to him. "Excuse me?" He gently shook the body before giggling again when he realized he was speaking in Mandarin. No wonder the person was not responding to him! He probably doesn't understand Chinese! "Hey, are you sleeping?" He asked in Korean.


The person didn't respond. Yixing grinned, not at all disheartened by the lack of response. "Well you know what they sayyy, it's not a party until you pass out in a stranger's bedroo-" Yixing slurs were cut off by a hiccup. Yixing frowned as his hiccups refused to cease but continued laughing. Alcohol always made him find everything funny for whatever reasons. The boy on the bed (Luhan's bed, Yixing dimly recognised. Luhan was going to kill him for being on his bed.) however mustn't have found it funny because he continued in his silent unmoving slumber.


"Unmoving..?" Yixing slowly held his hand up to the boy's face and whispered, "He's not breathing." The shocking revelation stunned the alcohol out of his system and his hiccups was gone. Senses rapidly coming back to him, he firmly grabbed the boy's hand. "Cold. No pulse." He whispered to himself in Mandarin. No breathing as well. This is dangerous. But he can't smell alcohol on the stranger, plus he didn't see the stranger at all at the party but he didn't rule out alcohol poisoning just yet. Yixing shivered and noticed Luhan's window was actually open and that the stranger was wearing incredibly light clothing. Hypothermia? "Oh shi-"


Yixing quickly shot up, ignoring how the room spun around, to close the windows and ran to the portable heater in the corner of the room. In quick movements that were becoming more composed by the second, Yixing dragged it over to the bed and turned it on. He grabbed Luhan's blanket and covered the boy with it and for good measure, took off his jacket and his hoodie to pile it on top as well. "Still no breathing and pulse..." Yixing placed his fingers under the stranger's cold jaw. His eyebrows scrunched up in panic.

EXO


Luhan just noticed that a certain Chinese male was missing. The past few hours, he sat with one hand on his beer and both eyes anxiously glancing at the corridor that lead to his room. Across the table he could see Minseok in a similar state, his leg bouncing as he craned his neck around to count the number of people in the room. Minseok seem to have come to same realisation as Luhan did because his eyes snapped to Luhan's. They exchanged nods and left the lounge, walking quickly to Luhan's room. Warning bells went off when they saw Luhan's door open.


Luhan sped up and ran to his room. A shocking sight met him. Yixing was hunched over the robot and about to... k-kiss him?! Luhan quickly ripped the unsuspecting med student off the robot, flinging him onto the floor.


"ZHANG YIXING!" Luhan roared. Minseok arrived just in time to hold Luhan from attacking Yixing. Luhan was spitting rapid Mandarin at Yixing like there was no tomorrow. Because Minseok lived with the 4 Chinese men for 5 years now, he could understand most of what Luhan was growling. "I can't believe you! You like skinship so much, you would harass an unsuspecting sleeping person?!"


Yixing calmly responded, "Hypothermia." At Luhan's confused sigh, Yixing said quickly, "He has hypothermia. I was going to give him CPR. Now get out of my way so I can save him." Yixing said, walking around them and started giving the robot CPR.


Then it happened.


There was a sudden whirling sound accompanied by low beeping. Yixing pulled away from the unconscious boy who was emitting the noise and gasped. The boy starting glowing - actually glowing! - and even more shocking, it floated - frigging floated! - off the bed. The blanket, jacket and hoodie fell to the mattress, next to Yixing. Minseok's hold on Luhan loosened completely as he watched what was happening with a dropped jaw.


Initiating wake up sequence.


The light slowly died and the body floated back down onto the bed. "What... what the hell?" Luhan gapped. But that was not the end of the 'what the hell' moments. The robot's eyes slowly fluttered open, revealing wide owl like chocolate eyes. Like a fawn, he slowly and shakily pushed himself to a sitting position almost face-planting himself on the bed in the process. It then slowly looked up and around in curiosity as a voice resonated from within itself.


Analysing situation. 3 unidentified males. No weapons detected. Threat level - nonexistent.


Yixing gulped and froze when the ... person? alien? creature?- landed his gaze on him. It suddenly went very quiet, like everyone had stopped breathing just in case it offended the boy with the owl-like eyes. But then he did something incredible. The sides of his lips curved upward into a smile in the shape of a heart and his eyes crinkled into crescent moons. And a clear pleasantly deep voice spoke.


"Annyeonghaseyo. Are you my master?"