The Waiting Game

The Waiting Game

I stared at the concrete beneath my feet just waiting for something to happen.

I was always waiting.

I’m always waiting for him.

I’m always waiting for him to come up with some kind of excuse every single time I ask him the same question.

 

 

 

 

I’m sitting on a bench in the park just waiting for him to show up.

My cell phone feels like it’s glued to my hand as I constantly check the time.

He’s officially ten minutes late now.

Maybe he got caught up in traffic, I think to myself as I scroll through the texts on my phone.

“Sorry I’m late. I couldn’t find my wallet.” I heard a voice say as someone sat down on the bench beside me.

I turned to the owner of the voice and smiled a little.

“You’re always forgetting something, Daehyun.” I teased.

I watched those luscious thick lips of his jut out into a pout and I felt my heart skip a beat.

It was always like this.

He would show up a few minutes late claiming he forgot something to which I would and he would pout.

After that I would always ask him the same question each time.

“What if we were in a relationship with each other?” I asked as I drummed my fingers mindlessly on the bench.

He would always sigh and give me the same response each time.

“Let’s just keep talking for now, Youngjae. I don’t want to rush things.” He replied as he brushed back a strand of his light brown hair.

“Okay.” I said quietly as I looked away from him.

“Have you been working out lately? It looks like you’re almost as muscular as I am.” Daehyun chuckled as he squeezed my arms.

“Yeah. I go to the gym three times a week now. What about you? You look a bit darker since the last time I saw you.” I commented as I eyed him up and down.

His skin was at least two shades darker since the last time I had seen him.

No matter how he looks he still manages to take my breath away every time.

His muscle shirt was practically squeezing his arms as he smirked at me.

“This is about to sound really stupid but I’ve been going to a tanning bed. Now that I have more spare time I can do so many things that I couldn’t do before.” He said happily as he smiled at me.

I watched as his dark orbs turned into crescents and his nose scrunched up.

“You seem much happier now that you found a new job. I’m happy for you.” I said.

“Thanks. I feel happier too. I’m sorry to cut this short, but I have to get back home. I have a work project that needs to be done. This was fun though. Let’s do it again sometime.” Daehyun said as he stood up and stretched.

“Yeah. Let’s.” I mumbled as I watched him walk away.

 

 

 

 

I’m lying in my bed scrolling through it, and I had this sudden urge to text Daehyun.

To: Daehyun

I think I want to get a bunny. I could name it Nibbles.

To: Youngjae

Haha. You’re so weird sometimes. Bunnies are cool though. :]

To: Daehyun

What color should it be? White or brown? I kind of like brown.

To: Youngjae

I have a white one. You might like him.

To: Daehyun

You have a pet bunny? :o

To: Youngjae

Yeah. His name is Bubbles.

To: Daehyun

How am I just now hearing about your pet bunny? Wait...you named your bunny Bubbles?

To: Youngjae

You never asked. No. My sister named it. She wanted it to have a unique name.

To: Daehyun

I have to see this bunny now. I must pet it.

To: Youngjae

Sure. I’ll bring Bubbles with me the next time we hang out. You are so weird, Youngjae. :p

To: Daehyun

Always.

To: Youngjae

Sooo...

To: Daehyun

Yes?

To: Youngjae

Nothing. Never mind.

To: Daehyun

Okay. Hey Daehyun...

To: Youngjae

Yeah?

To: Daehyun

I have a thought...what if we were in a relationship? I mean I like you, and I can honestly see us being together.

To: Youngjae

Thank you for your honesty, but I don’t want to rush things. I really appreciate your honesty though. :]

To: Daehyun

I know you do. I should probably go now. Night.

To: Youngjae

Night.

I placed my phone on my bedside table and stared at it.

It had been a month since Daehyun’s relationship ended.

They were together for two years and were each other’s first everything.

I’ve only known Daehyun for the past eight months and there are times where I really don’t like him.

How long do I have to keep waiting before I get the answer I’m looking for?

Am I being too selfish in wanting a relationship with him?

A sigh escapes my lips as I curl up under the covers and fall asleep.

 

 

 

 

I was heading to a blind date my friend Himchan had set up for me.

I knew this was going to be an interesting day as I pulled up into the coffee shop parking lot.

I stepped out of my car and swiftly headed into the shop.

My eyes instantly scanned the room for a tall blonde haired male.

I found a figure that resembled the description and I slowly walked over towards him and sat down in the seat across from him.

“Are you Youngjae? I’m Junhong. Nice to meet you.” He said softly.

I just nodded to him as I scanned him over.

He was a few inches taller than I am and lanky. His blonde hair was messily parted to the right side and his skin was a milky color.

Junhong had his long legs crossed under the table and his hands intertwined as they casually rested on top of the table.

He was dressed in a nice suit, and I could tell he was watching my every move.

“So how do you know Himchan?” He asked me in curiosity.

“We were neighbors since we were children. How about you?” I responded.

“Oh. We both work together. Himchan and I work in the same department.” Junhong stated.

“That sounds pretty nice. He told me that you’re a gamer. What kind of games do you play?” I questioned him.

“Every kind of game. I have a huge obsession with games. I mostly play RPG’s though. Character customization makes me happy.” He said excitedly as his eyes lit up.

“I know what you mean. I miss turn based RPG’s though. Those were the best games. I wish those battle systems could be brought back.” I said softly.

“Me too! I remember playing this one game where you equip this accessory on the playable character and they would always get the first turn regardless if they were ambushed or not. Shoot. I wish I could remember the name of that game.” Junhong said as he concentrated really hard on trying to remember.

“I know which game it is but I can’t remember the name of it either. How embarrassing.” I chuckled.

Junhong just looked at me and smiled. There was a slight twinkle in his eyes as he continued to look at me.

“Youngjae, what are you doing here?” I heard Daehyun’s voice as I looked around.

Daehyun walked up to the table I shared with Junhong and eyed me.

“I’m here with Junhong. We’re on a date.” I said as I nodded to Junhong who looked shyly at Daehyun.

“Oh. Sorry I didn’t see you there. I’m Daehyun.” He said as he shook hands with Junhong.

“Daehyun is a friend of mine. I’m sure he has better things to do than crash our date.” I said playfully.

“Yeah. Sorry about that again. Catch you later, Jae. Nice meeting you Junhong.” Daehyun said as he walked off to get us some privacy.

“You like him, don’t you?” Junhong asked me as he leaned in closer to me.

“What? No.” I said shyly as my cheeks turned pink.

“You totally do. It’s written all over your face. Don’t worry. He likes you too. He’s just too stubborn to admit it.” Junhong said as he moved back into his seat.

“How do you know?” I asked curiously.

“Because he’s kind of staring us down right now.” He stated.

I turned my head in the direction of where Daehyun was.

“Don’t make it obvious.” Junhong hissed.

“Sorry.” I mumbled as I caught a glimpse of Daehyun staring at me.

“You two would look adorable together. Wanna cut this date short so you can go after him?” Junhong questioned as he smiled at me.

“Are you okay with that?”

“Of course I am. I already have my eyes set on someone else. Just go get him already.” Junhong chuckled.

“Okay. At least let me walk you out first.” I replied as we both stood up from the table and headed outside.

“Can I ask you something?” Junhong questioned once we were outside.

“Sure.”

“How long have you been waiting for him?”

“For eight months now.”

“Wow. That’s a long time to sort out feelings. I guess some people take longer than others. I’m giving you my number so you can text me and let me know what happens.” Junhong said as he grabbed my phone and quickly put his number in it.

“I’ll see you soon. I’d love to be friends with you, Youngjae.” Junhong called out in the distance as he was already half-way down the street waving to me.

“Yeah! I’d like that!” I yelled as I waved back to him.

I heard the bell of the coffee shop chime and I looked over to find Daehyun looking at me while he leaned against the wall.

“So how was your date?” he asked as he crossed his arms.

“It went well. I think we’re just going to stay friends though.” I said.

“Why?” He asked as he arched his brow.

“Because there’s someone else that I like.” I replied with a smile.

“Who would that be?” Daehyun asked as he moved towards me.

I let out a soft sigh and closed my eyes before I opened them again.

“This is the last time I’ll ever say this to you. After this I will never bring it up again. We can even pretend that I never said it at all if that’s what you want. I just have to know the answer, Dae. No more games because I’m growing impatient. I’m tired of waiting. I have to know your answer, Dae. What if we were in a relationship with each other?”

Daehyun stared at me intently before a small smile formed on his face.

“If we were in a relationship with each other then I would want to kiss you anytime I want. I would want to hold you in my arms from morning till night. I would want to whisper the sweetest words in your ear when you have a bad day. I would want to wake up seeing your face every morning.”

“What does this mean?” I asked in a confused voice.

Daehyun stepped closer until we could feel our hot breath on each other, “it means that I want to be in a relationship with you.”

His lips suddenly descended on mine, and I closed my eyes on instinct.

This kiss was everything I thought it would be and more.

I felt my heart beating rapidly, the butterflies in my stomach, the way our lips molded perfectly together, the way my fingers threaded through his hair, the way our breathing became shallower as he pulled me into him, and the way he wrapped his arms around my waist like he would never let me go.

I opened my eyes and pulled away from the kiss and let in a large breath of oxygen before I smiled at Daehyun.

“Took you long enough.” I teased.

“Better late than never. I’m sorry it took me so long to sort out my feelings for you, but when I saw you with that guy it just put things in perspective for me.” Daehyun explained.

“It’s okay. I’ve waited eight months for you and I wouldn’t have minded waiting a little longer if that’s what it would have taken.” I told him.

“I thought you said you wouldn’t ask me that question anymore.” Daehyun responded.

“I wouldn’t have. I would’ve waited for you to approach me. Thank you for giving me an answer.” I whispered.

“Thank you for waiting on me.” Daehyun whispered back.

I felt his hand slide down my arm and lock our fingers together.

I just smiled at him and nodded.

I would have gladly waited an entire lifetime for him if I had to because he’s worth waiting for.


A/N: Just a quick little one-shot for you guys. This is based on recent and personal events that have happened in my life minus a few things. I hope you all enjoy it. Comments are welcome here. Thank you so much. ^_^