Drabble

Halo

 

Jung Yunho was a guardian angel. Her guardian angel. He came exactly when she needed one the most. He didn’t have wings. He wasn’t wearing white, heavenly robes. And there was no visible halo on his head. But Stephanie knew at once he was an angel.

 

Perhaps it was fate, or simply serendipity that their paths had crossed. But it didn’t matter which. She was already thankful that they met.

 

They were complete opposites. And perhaps that was what made them perfect for each other. Yunho was the good kind, the one that almost, almost, seemed too perfect to be real. Stephanie was the rebel, the one that always had trouble by her side. Perhaps too much trouble. Others had thought of her as a lost cause. He was the only one who thought—knew—otherwise. Yunho had looked into her eyes and saw something that nobody else had seen. With a smile, he held out his hand towards her. Stephanie, who then had ignored anyone else who had tried to help her, suddenly stopped in her tracks and took his hand. She eventually realized that it wasn’t just help he was offering in that small, simple act. Yunho was also offering his love.

 

Stephanie was glad she accepted it.

 

-+-

 

“What are you thinking about?” He whispered into her ear as he s his arms around her waist. Yunho inhaled in her scent and sighed dreamily. Stephanie smiled.

 

“Not ‘what’, but ‘who’.”

 

He pouted. “Should I be jealous?”

 

She turned around and placed a light, barely there kiss on his lips. “Maybe… Because I’m thinking about this handsome guy with whom I feel hopelessly in love with… So hopelessly in love that I can’t seem to think about anyone else but him.”

 

Yunho tried to hide a grin. He failed. “I wonder who that is.”

 

“Guess.”

 

Yunho raised an eyebrow. He slightly tightened his embrace on her and frowned. “I really have no idea who it is.”

 

 “I’ll give you a clue.” Stephanie whispered almost inaudibly. “He’s devilishly handsome but, for me, he’s my guardian angel. He was there when I needed him the most and I think he’s too perfect, too good to be true, and yet, here he is, standing right in front of me.”

 

A wide smile played on Yunho’s lips. He leaned in slightly. With their lips only millimeters apart, he whispered. “But maybe that person thinks that you are the one who’s too perfect, too good to be true. Almost to the point that maybe he didn’t deserve someone like you. Yet, you’re here, in front of him and he’ll be thankful for that fact every minute of every day.”

 

“Can I say something?”

 

“Anything.”

 

“Since when have you become this greasy?” She intended it as a joke but it came out rather sweet.

 

Yunho stared straight into her eyes. “Since I met someone as adorable, funny and beautiful as you.” He sounded sweet and greasy at the same time. Stephanie chuckled. Yunho chuckled with her before finally closing the gap.

 

It was in that moment when their lips touched that Stephanie knew, Yunho was truly an angel sent by heaven.