Wanting you

Misunderstandings

 Yixing strides into the classroom, backpack slung lazily over one shoulder as he stifles a yawn. Moving automatically to the back of the room, Yixing slips into his assigned seat and pokes the shoulder of the boy sitting diagonally in front of him.

 

"Hey, sleepyhead. Hope I didn't keep you up all night last night" The boy says casually as he turns to face Yixing, who's trying to hold back another yawn.

 

"Morning, Jongdae. And just to let you know, I'm never having a video-game-slash-movie marathon with you until 4am on a school night ever again" Jongdae just chuckles and they fall into a lighthearted conversation. 

 

  The two boys failing to notice when the teacher walks in until she claps her hands loudly to catch their attention. Apologizing, the boys sheepishly turn to face the front of the classroom where the teacher is announcing the arrival of a new student, which has the class bursting with soft murmurs. When the teacher finally quiets everyone down again, she motions towards the open door. A pretty doe-eyed boy with hair dyed a striking blonde (Yixing's pretty sure that's against school policies) walks in, introducing himself as Lu Han from Beijing. He flashes the class with a bright smile that has all the girls (and guys) swooning.

 

  Giving a quick scan of the room, the teacher directs Luhan to the empty seat beside Jongdae. Slipping into his new seat, Jongdae and Luhan exchange cheerful greetings before Jongdae starts to rapid-fire questions about the Chinese boy's life. Luhan patiently answers all of Jongdae's questions (no matter how silly of a question, "how can you speak Korean?" is), completely oblivious to the miffed glare Yixing has directed towards him.

 

--

 

 "Xing ge!" Jongdae yells, waving his arms to make sure that Yixing doesn't miss him. Chuckling, Yixing grabs his tray of food and walks towards Jongdae's table with a smile. Nearing the table, he finds Luhan seated cozily beside Jongdae, happily clinging to Jongdae's arm, chin resting on his shoulder, and Yixing's grin falters for a split second. Quickly seating himself on the other side of Jongdae, Yixing decides to stuff his face with food to avoid conversation.

 

"Lu ge, I don't think you've met Xing ge yet but he's Chinese too" Jongdae chirps

 

"Nice to meet you" Luhan peers around Jongdae and smiles, making eye contact with Yixing

 

"Nice to meet you too" Yixing says after hastily swallowing his food, hoping his bleak smile is enough to cover up the slightly bitter tone in his voice (so much for his plan of not talking). For Yixing, the rest of lunch goes by in miserably while, on the other hand, Jongdae chatters animatedly with Luhan who replies with just as much excitement.

 

--

 

 Sprinting into the library as silently as possible, Yixing rounds a bend and darts into the little, hidden corner behind the old history and literature books where he and Jongdae have been meeting to study at least twice a week for 3 years and counting. Panting heavily, hands resting on his knees, Yixing looks up, prepared to greet his best friend when he is met with the (unexpected) presence of the Beijing boy, Luhan. 

 

"Hello, Yixing" greets Luhan sunnily, as if Yixing wasn't heaving and ready to puke out his insides from running so fast.

 

"Hi?" replies a very confused Yixing as he looks around, looking for the familiar, petite figure of a certain Korean

 

"Oh! XingXing ge! You're here!" Jongdae exclaims softly, appearing from behind a bookshelf with his arms full of books "I hope you don't mind me inviting Luhan. He hasn't been around for the lessons earlier this term and I thought that maybe we could help him catch up"

 

"Oh . . . sure" Yixing says, slightly disappointed that his usual alone time with his best friend has been disturbed. Furrowing his brows, Yixing opens a book and tries to keep himself occupied even as Jongdae and Luhan conversed silently and giggled endlessly, seeming to forget that Yixing even existed.

 

--

 

 Yixing sits rigidly in his seat, the teacher's lesson becoming a jumble of unheard ramblings while he glares nonexistent holes into the back of Luhan's head, unbeknownst to the blonde boy as Jongdae doubles over in silent laughter at something Luhan's just said. Yixing mentally curses Luhan for being handsome, kind, skilled, and funny, adding to the growing list of 'things I dislike about the new kid, Luhan'

 

 Jongdae finally regains his breath and leans close to Luhan's ear, Yixing furrows his brows, and murmurs something that has both of the boys grinning like mad. Yixing doesn't like it. Jongdae's supposed to be whispering into Yixing's ear, grinning like mad with Yixing.

 

 Luhan's stealing his best friend. Yixing's Jongdae.

 

--

 

 Not even a month since Luhan's arrival and all of the girls (and guys) of the school are trying to get into his pants. But, unfortunately for them and Yixing, Luhan seems to be glued to Jongdae. On top of that, and to Yixing's dismay, Jongdae doesn't mind one bit and Yixing seems to be roped into each of their little get-togethers. And no matter how much Yixing wants to deny it, he has to admit that he has a (not so) small crush on his best friend. Just the thought of Luhan and Jongdae together has Yixing's raging jealousy running rampant.

 

  So when Yixing finally finds himself in his bedroom with Jongdae, without the annoying Luhan, Yixing revels. They play video games and watch a couple movies to pass the time, Yixing occasionally glancing at the face of his best friend which he has come to admire. Some time into the middle of playing some irrelevant video game, Jongdae's phone vibrates. Pulling out his phone and scanning the message, Jongdae breaks out into a silent grin before slipping it back into his pocket and jumping up.

 

"Sorry, Xing ge. It's Lu ge. I need to go"

 

 Yixing frowns. He had caught a glimpse of the text, only seeing parts of it that said "go out" and "you" and "boyfriend". Deciding that he wouldn't let his best friend be taken away so easily, Yixing gets up and grabs Jongdae's wrist tightly, pulling the smaller boy away from the door.

 

"No. It hasn't even been a month and you two have been inseparable. It took us years to get like that. What do you even see in that guy? Like he isn't even that good looking. I know he has a great smile and sense of humor but his hair is weird and I'm pretty sure dying your hair that shade of blonde is against the school policies." Yixing babbles, something he rarely does, with a trembling voice, not wanting to lose Jongdae to Luhan.

 

"What are you trying to say?" The large grin previously on Jongdae's face had quickly fallen as he listened to Yixing, replaced by a confused frown.

 

"What I'm trying to say is that I like you and I don't agree with you going out with Luhan!" Both boys' eyes widen as reality sets in and Jongdae gapes, while Yixing inwardly curses himself for letting his words tumble out so easily. Yixing let's Jongdae's wrist fall from his grasp as he averts his gaze to the floor that seems ten times more interesting right now, unsure what to do after accidentally confessing. Melodious laughter fills the air, Yixing blushing and anger filling him as the thought of Jongdae laughing at his feelings passes through his mind. Snapping his head upwards and opening his mouth to defend himself, all his anger flies out the door when Jongdae wraps his petite arms around Yixing's waist, face buried in the crook of the taller boy's neck.

 

"Is that what you've been brooding about? Zhang Yixing, you are so dumb" giggles Jongdae into Yixing's neck, sending a shiver up his spine

 

"What?" Yixing pouts

 

"If you paid any attention, you'd notice that me and Luhan have been talking bout nothing but Minseok, my cousin. Cause Luhan has wanted nothing but to get with Minseok hyung since he got here. There has been nothing between the two of us, "

 

"Then what was with that text you just got? It said something about going out and you and boyfriends" Yixing is seriously getting confused. Jongdae just chuckled, eyes crinkling into their signature crescent shapes as he looks up at Yixing.

 

"It was about Lu ge and Minseok hyung. Lu ge finally grew the balls to ask out Min Hyung and needs me to save their awkward-as-hell first date."

 

"Oh" was all Yixing could manage because, wow, he really was an idiot.

 

Feeling a small nudge, Yixing's attention reverts back to the boy embracing him ". . . soo . . do you actually like me? Like, like me, like me?" Jongdae asked shyly, blushing

 

"Of course I do. But . . . do you like me back?" Yixing asked nervously, becoming anxious when Jongdae doesn't reply after a while

 

Yixing fidgets in the ever-growing awkward silence "It's okay if you don-" He starts, cut off by soft lips pressed against his own in a chaste, sweet kiss and the feeling of Jongdae's arms moving up to wrap around his neck.

 

"I like you too" Jongdae whispers against Yixing's lips. Yixing slips his hands around Jongdae's slim waist, pulling him close just as Jongdae's phone vibrates again. Yixing knits his eyebrows and frowns as Jongdae checks his phone, again.

 

"You gonna go?" Yixing asks dejectedly, grip tightening around the fabric of Jongdae's shirt. Jongdae contemplates it for a second before tossing his phone onto a beanbag in the far corner of Yixing's room.

 

"Luhan can deal with his boyfriend on his own. I have my own to attend to" Both boys grin at the statement before Jongdae leans up to press their lips together again, pushing Yixing back until they both fall heavily onto the bed giggling.


A/N: This was a Valentine's fic that I forgot to post. Mianhe~ haha

I hope you like it (even though it's EXTREMELLYYYY late)

And thanks to El-LeeXO and Bibi for beta reading this <3