Read My Heart

Read My Heart

Read My Heart

 

 

Nana watched with a frown at the two figures sitting on the couch, a blonde was leaning on a brunette looking happy as the later playfully shoved the other away so she could enjoy the gag show on TV.

 

Click.

 

Everyone's focus was broken when Kim Uee sauntered in. The actress greeted everyone briefly before making her way to the couch and nudged Jooyeon to scoot over so she could squeeze in.

 

Now that Jooyeon was sandwiched between Lizzy and Uee, Nana's frown turned into a full pout. Why was the actress suddenly here again?

 

Uee dangled a plastic bag at Jooyeon who stared at it hopefully. Of course it has to be food, Uee did know how to attract Jooyeon well. Scratch that, Lizzy has her eyes on it too...but then which member of After School didn't like food?

 

Nana blew her bangs and stood up to approach the person she's been eyeing so far and put her knuckles on the back of Jooyeons' head then pushed it forward causing the woman to nearly fell to the floor out of shock. The three women on the couch whipped their heads to her direction, Lizzy and Uee were caught off guard, while Jooyeon was holding the back of her head feeling even more bewildered than any other person in the room.

 

“Yah! Im Nana, what the heck?! I was about to get some food here...” Jooyeon voiced whiningly.

 

In the kitchen, behind all the commotion, Jungah was face palming. Raina bang her forehead on the counter with a groan, and E-young sighed while Kaeun was amused at the event.

 

Jungah faced Raina and asked, “You're asking me to stay in the dorm this weekend, for this?”

 

“I don't know what to do anymore, every time Jooyeon is here Lizzy would be all over her and Uee would magically appear out of nowhere and join them like now.” Raina pointed her chin at a sulking Nana. “Help her and us, would you?”

 

“Aigoo, what's with their sudden fondness with Jooyeon, huh?” Jungah wondered.

 

Raina shrugged. “You tell me.”

 

“Jooyeon unnie is pretty?” Kaeun offered.

 

“She's funny and easygoing?” E-young added.

 

Both Jungah and Raina looked at them, unappreciative. “You guys, too?!” They said at the same time.

 

“What? No, no, no!” E-yong waved, disagreeing.

 

“No, unnie, no.” Kaeun followed hurriedly.

 

Jungah and Raina let out a relived sigh.

 

Nana and Jooyeon was having a staring match. Jooyeon was waiting for some answer but Nana kept her sulking face on.

 

Nana was actually frustrated. Lizzy has overload cuteness with bright personality that matched Jooyeon's playfulness and they could easily go crazy together. Kim Uee? She didn't even know where to start, that woman was like a complete package of perfection.

 

She felt inadequate to compete with them.

 

Which was ridiculous if only she asked around. She was beautiful herself, she was a supermodel for God's sake! But love did make people ridiculous at some point, didn't it?

 

Nana broke off her stare and retreated to her room. Sighing but a little satisfied that for a split second she got Jooyeon's attention which was previously divided to the two women sitting on her sides.

 

Jooyeon got even more confused. “Huh? What was that?” She looked left and right to the two nearest to her and when she only got shrugs as the answer, she turned to the rest of the members with raised eyebrows.

 

The four gave different answers: another face palming moment, a shook of head, another sigh, an I-don't-know wave.

 

“Eh...okay, that was random...” Jooyeon rubbed her nape.

 

Not really, the four wanted to say.

 

Because if that random action of Nana could be translated, it probably meant one of these:

 

- Who told you to be so popular with Lizzy and Uee now?!

- I'm here! Pay attention to me too!

 

Or both.

 

---

 

“Well, isn't it good that I'm close with the other members?” Jooyeon looked up over her cup innocently for a second to make eye contact before looking back down, staring at her own reflection inside the cup as she made silly faces.

 

Raina gave Jungah a can-I-slap-her-please look which was returned with let's-talk-first-before-we-do-it look.

 

Both of them dragged their chairs close to Jooyeon's sides and placed one of their hands on each of Jooyeon's shoulders, squeezing it hard.

 

Jooyeon flinched at the pressure she received. “Guys, are you trying to break my shoulders?”

 

“Of course not Jooyeonnie~”Jungah answered while Raina grinned innocently.

 

Yet they couldn't help themselves to land a smack on each sides of Jooyeon's head with their free hand when Jooyeon attempted to do another silly face before letting go of their grip.

 

“Ouch! Yah! Guys, what the heck?!” Jooyeon rubbed her head. It must have been a leader thing, she reasoned. She thanked God that Kahi unnie wasn't here to add more...

 

...which unfortunately was short lived seeing the cafe entrance door jingled and said person waltzed in with a charismatic aura.

 

Kahi then stood in front of her with an overly sweet smile and called her in a singsong voice, “Joojoo~”

 

A cold sweat ran down Jooeyeon's temple. Oh God, am I going to die?

 

The ex-leader continued with the smile and took her seat beside Jungah after pecking her cheek and patted Raina's head affectionately. “How are you, Jooyeon?”

 

“I...uh...good? How about you, unnie? What a surprise to see you here.”

 

Kahi rested her chin on her palm and stared at Jooyeon. “Been good. My Jungah invited me here, that's fine with you, right? You don't miss appa, Joo?”

 

Somehow that sounded dangerously like a threat in Jooyeon's ear. Especially when Kahi mentioned the word appa. “Ehehe of course, of course yes appa...” Jooyen replied weakly.

 

Kahi looked at Jungah then Raina. “So, what do we have here?”

 

Both Jungah and Raina pointed at Jooyeon. “THIS person here, has created commotions within our members!”

 

“Ah...that problem.” Kahi nodded understandingly.

 

Jooyeon pointed at herself. “What did I do?”

 

“Lizzy?” Raina questioned.

 

“Nana?” Jungah asked.

 

“Uee?” Kahi added.

 

“What? Like I said to Raina and Jungah unnie before, isn't it good that I'm close with our members?” Jooyeon looked at Kahi hopefully.

 

Three hands reached out to smack her head this time.

 

“It is, but this is a different case of closeness.” Kahi said followed by Jungah and Raina agreement.

 

“What do you mean?” Jooyeon showed a quizzical expression while cradling her now pulsing head.

 

Kahi hugged Jungah dramatically and stretched her hand out to take Raina's. “I'm sorry guys you still have to deal with her.”

 

“Just our luck.” Jungah and Raina responded as dramatically.

 

“Yah! Yah! What is that suppose to mean?!”

 

The three sighed.

 

“We'll help you with some hints then.” Jungah told Jooyeon and called up a waiter for the bill with Raina asking to borrow a pen. When the waiter came back with those items, Raina scribbled something at the back followed by Jungah then Kahi.

 

“Here, just think about this seriously,” Kahi gave Jooyeon the receipt.

 

“We will take our payment in advance so you don't need to thank us later,” Raina referred to the bill.

 

Jooyeon's right eye twitched at the amount printed and she protested, “Yah, Jungah unnie you ordered too much food!”

 

“Like you didn't, half the bill is practically yours,” the woman retorted smartly.

 

Jooyeon pouted and the three went out of the cafe in laughter and teasing waves.

 

“Leaders...” she grumbled.

 

---

 

Nana exhaled in annoyance.

 

Even in the dressing room after their performance, Lizzy and Uee were still busy hogging Jooyeon's attention. Nana threw a crumpled tissue on Jooeyeon's head.

 

Lizzy and Uee fussed over Jooyeon quickly, checking her all over like she would get an injury over something like that...

 

...which resulted in Nana throwing more crumpled tissues but to Jooyeon's face this time. Because Lizzy was cooing her while holding her hand and Uee was Jooyeon's hair comfortingly—all too intimate for Nana's standard.

 

The rest of the members looked at Jooeyeon, Lizzy, Uee, Nana respectively then back to Jooyeon again. They simply chose to ignore them altogether.

 

Not being able to take it anymore, Nana stomped out of the room, leaving the poor Jooyeon speechless over her action with her mind busy wondering why.

 

---

 

Jealousy, affection, love.

 

Jooyeon stared hard at the back of the receipt. Ever since the tissue accident with Nana, she has done a lot of thinking to figure out why the blonde did what she did. Although those three words were hints as Jungah said, she still didn't understand what they had to do with her.

 

True to her dorky nature, she literally searched those words on the internet.

 

After an hour or so surfing the net and found nothing that could help her, she dropped her body to her bed and covered up her eyes with her arm. “I don't feel jealous of anyone right now...affection and love? What's up with that?”

 

---

 

It was one of those rare moments where Nana got to spend her time with Jooyeon alone, so she was trying to make the best of it by resting her head on Jooyeon's lap and staring up at her who was busy reading a magazine. She took one of Jooyeon's hand with both of hers and cradled it on her chest, breaking Jooyeon's concentration and made her look down.

 

“You okay?” Jooyeon asked.

 

Nana closed her eyes and hummed.

 

“You know, it's weird...the members aren't back yet.” She kept glancing from time to time to see if they would burst in.

 

“Unnie...?” Nana pouted adorably.

 

For a second there Jooyeon faltered because of the cute display. “Ye-yeah?”

 

Nana's face change into a troubled one which made Jooyeon frowned involuntary. She shook the blonde's arm lightly, “Yah, what is it?”

 

“What's your first impression on me? An ice princess? A cold person?”

 

Jooyeon was silent for a while. “Hmmm...I...” she prolonged her answer thinking how to word out her thoughts. She sensed that her answer was somewhat important for the younger woman so she needed to be careful or she would be killed by the rest of the members. Just thinking about what appa would do brought a chill down her spine.

 

“What, unnie?” Nana urged her, feeling a bit impatient.

 

“Well, I don't see the ice or cold part...” Jooyeon paused for a while and her eyes went soft, “but I do see the princess part. A beautiful princess.” she finished with a silly grin and a wink, charming the unsuspecting blonde effortlessly.

 

“Yah, unnie!” Nana sat up abruptly and slapped Jooyeon's shoulder out of embarrassment which made Jooyeon drop her magazine in surprise.

 

Before Nana was able to bolt out of the room, Jooyeon caught Nana's waist and pulled her down into her lap sideways and wrapped her arms around the blonde, locking her in place. “Nope, you're not going anywhere. You've been doing these random actions that I don't understand. Tell me why...”

 

“No.” Nana buried her face in the crock of Jooyeon's neck to hide her face.

 

“No? Whyyy~” Jooyeon whined her protest.

 

“Because unnie has to figure it out herself or else it won't matter,” Nana said softly.

 

“Aigoo, unnie's going to get a headache because of this.” Jooyeon rested her chin on top of Nana's head while tightening her embrace.

 

Serves you right for being ignorant of my feelings! Nana pouted but finally returning the action by wrapping her arms on Jooyeon's waist.

 

Jooyeon brought them down to rest on the couch. A few minutes went by but nobody said anything nor moved. Nana savored every second of it. They felt comfortable despite the unresolved situation between them.

 

It wasn't long, though, before she heard a light snore.

 

She moved her head backwards carefully to check her suspicion and saw that Jooyeon was truly asleep. “I can't believe you...falling asleep in a situation like this? Our performance is in about half an hour.”

 

But that's Lee Jooyeon to Nana, unbelievable.

 

Nana shook her head in amusement then whispered, “Dream of me, unnie,” she kissed Jooyeon's cheek and laid her head on the shoulder, following her to the dreamland.

 

Surprisingly, not to mention mysteriously, nobody bothered them for twenty five minutes before Lizzy barged in loudly which jolted Jooyeon and Nana awake. She was followed by a calmer Uee and the rest of the members started to pour in hurriedly.

 

Lizzy and Uee again in a flash took Jooyeon hostage to fix her appearance and dragged her out saying that “it's their time to perform”, but this time Jooyeon looked back over her shoulder and gave Nana a warm smile.

 

And Nana showed the same smile in return.

 

---

 

“Hello?” Jooyeon picked up the phone absentmindedly without looking at the caller ID.

 

“Unnniiiiee~”

 

“Im Nana? What's wrong? Don't you have OC schedule right now?”

 

“I am on break and I miss unnie!”

 

“Aww, don't you usually miss appa and umma more?” She teased.

 

“Uwaaa unnie doesn't miss me!” the all too familiar fake-crying voice was out.

 

Jooyeon flinched a bit. She could almost see the pout on the younger woman's face right before her. Good thing it wasn't a video call. “Yah, of course I miss you, silly.”

 

There's a moment of pause on the other line. “Hehe, unnie saranghae! Gotta go now!”

 

“Wa—” Jooyeon stared at the phone in her hand, dumbfounded. “Aish, she's been around that crazy Lizzy too much...” She shook her head as a smile adorned her face.

 

---

 

Joojoo~ unnie wants you to

pick up Nana from her photo-

shoot now. Unnie knows you've

finished your schedule and you're

free right now.

 

Even before she could type out any objection, her phone rang a short tone again.

 

No excuses, or I will cut your

bathroom time!

p.s leader powar!! :D

p.p.s I'll tell appa if you don't

do as I say!

 

Jooyeon cursed Jungah for abusing her power and using Kahi unnie for blackmailing her. She sent her acceptance text and asked for the address grudgingly whilst grabbing her car keys and went out of her apartment.

 

There went her nap.

 

---

 

Unnie is here downstairs to

pick you up, finished

yet? ^_^

 

Nana was in the middle of changing from her photo-shoot clothes into her normal clothes when she read the text from her beloved Jooyeon unnie. Umma did say she would ask one of the members to get her (bless you, Umma!) since manager oppa had to leave suddenly. The last thing she put on with haste was her high heels before bidding goodbye to the staff around.

 

Walking out of the glass door entrance, Nana saw Jooyeon leaning on her car. When Jooyeon looked up and saw her, she stood up straight and waved. Nana half-ran to get to her unnie quickly.

 

But as one of the straps on her ankle came undone, Nana tripped over which resulted in her colliding into Jooyeon and that collision unfortunately pushed Jooyeon backwards, the poor woman knocked her head on the car with a loud thud.

 

“Oww! Oww!” Jooyeon screamed in pain.

 

“Omo, Jooyoen unnie!” Nana immediately got off of her and checked the injured head.

 

Maybe it was because her head was throbbing or maybe some sense got knocked into her head literally...but seeing Nana's face in such a close proximity to her own, it was then that Jooyeon felt as if time had stopped and she was viewing Nana in a way she never did before.

 

She knew Nana was beautiful, but only now she fully acknowledged just how true it was.

 

“Unnie, are you okay?” Nana's hands cupping her cheeks with worried expression broke Jooyeon's trance.

 

She grasped the blonde's hands to stop her fret. “Just a little bump, I'll be fine.” She smiled reassuringly as the throbbing in hear head subsided into a more bearable one.

 

Nana looked down to the source of her unnie's pain in guilt. “Sorry, unnie. I was in a hurry to meet you that I didn't fasten it properly.”

 

Despite the throbbing head, Jooyeon crouched down to take Nana's feet and fastened the strap properly this time, ignoring the objection that came from the blonde. “There.” She patted Nana's feet playfully. “Please be careful next time, I don't want you to get hurt, yeah?” She looked up and gave her a warm smile.

 

Nana threw herself down and hugged Jooyeon close. You're the one who got hurt and yet you're still worrying over me instead. Stop doing this to my heart. Nana wanted so badly to say what was on her mind but what came out of was only a weak, “Unnie...”

 

“Hey now, I told you I'm okay.” Jooyeon rubbed Nana's back comfortingly. And she couldn't help but thought that the hug felt good.

 

“C'mon let's get you back to the dorm.” Opening the car door behind her, she gestured Nana to get inside. She circled around the car to the driver's side after making sure Nana was seated securely.

 

The journey to the dorm was shared in silence. But they didn't mind it, they often enjoyed their time together in silence. Although Nana kinda wished they were walking instead, that way she could hold Jooyeon's hand and it would take longer to reach. She wouldn't attempt it with car driving, it would be dangerous.

 

Jooyeon stopped her car and turned to Nana with a mock bow and in a serious tone said, “We've arrived at the palace, Princess Nana.”

 

The corner of Nana's mouth tugged upwards because of the silly action. “You're not coming up, unnie?”

 

Jooyeon shook her head. “Not this time, sorry. I still need to practice for my drama. Say hi to the girls for me, though.”

 

“Okay, thank you for sending me back, unnie.” Nana kissed her cheek and went out of the car. She waved goodbye—which Jooyeon robotically returned—before disappearing inside the building.

 

Once her mind was back in function, Jooyeon raised her hand to her cheek in awe. If Jooyeon thought that Nana's hug earlier felt good, this kiss felt even better.

 

Who knew loosing her nap and getting a bump in return was such a wonderful thing.

 

---

 

Jungah clapped her hands loudly. “Okay, short break!”

 

After School members cheered and dispersed around the room to either rest or drink water.

 

Nana noticed Lizzy and Uee were looking at Jooyeon who was resting on the wall like a prey and she knew she has to make her move fast. Before Uee or Lizzy could even approach Jooyeon, Nana had put her arms around Jooyeon swiftly and dragged Jooyeon with her backwards—much like what they did in Weekly Idol.

 

The four just shrugged it off. Jooyeon, Nana, Uee, Lizzy, being all weird among themselves like this? What else was new?

 

Nana's eyes were looking back and forth from Uee and Lizzy, as if daring them to take Jooyeon away from her. And the two just looked back at her without moving from their spot.

 

Even after exiting the practice room Nana hasn't removed her arms.

 

Jooyeon encircled her arms around Nana's shoulders to halt their movement. “Whoa, whoa! Nana, slow down. What's up?”

 

Nana dropped her head on Jooyeon's. “Nothing.”

 

“Really? What was that with Uee and Lizzy then?” Jooyeon turned her head to say, “Anyway, I'm all sweaty. Don't you feel icky being this close to unnie?”

 

“No, I don't mind if it's unnie. Plus, I'm all sweaty too,” Nana threw her a hesitant look, “do you feel icky, unnie?”

 

“No.” It surprised Jooyeon how true her word was. “So back to my question about Uee and Lizzy, what's up with that?”

 

“I just wanted to have some alone time with unnie, they've been hogging you too much lately.” Nana disapproved.

 

Jooyeon chuckled. “Why? Are you jealous, Im Nana?”

 

“What if I tell you I am?” Nana became serious. “What would you do?” Nana's face moved close.

 

“I...” Jooyeon left her words hanging as she felt like she was being pulled to mimick Nana's motion.

 

BANG!

 

Nana and Jooyeon jumped apart, startled by the sound of a door hitting the wall. More precisely, their practice room door.

 

“There you are!” Lizzy shouted with her hands up in the air.

 

“Jungah unnie said the practice will start soon.” Uee informed behind Lizzy's back.

 

Nana growled under her breath. She could have sworn their timing couldn't have gotten any worse. She suspected they might have done it on purpose to get back at her.

 

Jooyeon sighed. She then turned to look at Nana. Jooyeon was truly attracted to her, the blonde wasn't just simply attractive because of the visual truth anymore. When she had this unexplainable urge to lean over and plant her lips on Nana's earlier, it finally dawned on her now that her feelings for the blonde might have already passed the sisterly or friendship love.

 

Lacing her fingers with Nana's, Jooyeon pulled her back to the practice room. She stopped for a bit to whisper in Nana's ear, “Let's have some alone time soon and talk, yeah?” She winked.

 

Nana squeezed Jooyeon's hand, agreeing. The smile on her face was wide.

 

---

 

Jooyeon went to her bedroom after throwing her keys to the coffee table. She dived to the bed and stretchered her hand to reach over the nightstand on the other side. She pulled the drawer open and took the folded receipt.

 

Jealousy, affection, love.

 

She now understood what those meant. It wasn't aimed to herself, but for her to know that these were what Nana had been feeling so far. She cursed herself for not realizing the hint sooner and probably made the blonde felt hurt at some point.

 

“But...jealousy?”

 

Jooyeon took her phone to text the blonde.

 

---

 

Jooyeon waved excitedly when she saw Nana. “Nana, here!”

 

The blonde rushed to give her a greeting hug and sat next to her on the bench. “So what is it you want to talk about, Joo unnie?”

 

Searching through her pocket, Jooyeon took out the folded receipt and waved it in front of Nana.

 

Nana took a quick look on it. “Umm...it's a bill, unnie?” She said, uncertain what to do (all the while wondering if she just got pranked).

 

Jooyeon face-palmed herself then unfolded the receipt to show Nana the writings behind it. “What I meant is this.”

 

After reading the words for a few times, Nana stared at Jooyoen—anticipating for more elaboration.

 

“Is that how you've been feeling towards me lately?” Jooyeon asked carefully.

 

Nana contemplated for a bit and asked, “If it's a yes?”

 

Jooyeon stared at Nana's eyes and smiled that charming smile. “Then I would be a very happy person, not to mention lucky.”

 

“And then you're not going to do anything at all?” Nana asked hoping for more.

 

“Well, I was thinking if I get a yes then I would maybe...errrr, ask you out for a date?” Jooyeon said timidly.

 

Nana encircled her arms around Jooyeon's shoulders and pulled her closer so she could lean her forehead on the older girl's temple with a smile. “It's a definite yes, unnie.”

 

Jooyeon shook her fist behind Nana's back and screamed in joy, “Hear that, people? Lee Jooyeon rules!”

 

Nana giggled and smacked Jooyeon's stomach playfully. She looked up at her in expectant. “Aren't you gonna ask me for that date now, unnie?”

 

Suddenly Jooyeon found herself being timid again and rubbed her neck. “Ah of course...uh, Im Nana would you like to go on a date with me?”

 

“I'd love to!” Nana answered happily.

 

Jooyeon hold her finger up. “Wait, I have a question. Why do you need to be jealous over Lizzy and Uee?”

 

Nana looked at her blankly. “Don't they like you, too? They're all over you!”

 

Jooyeon chuckled in amusement. “Why would they be? They're together, together.” She explained.

 

Nana eyes went wide. “They are?!”

 

“Yeah.” Jooyeon nodded then shut her eyes, finally realizing something. “Aish, so that's why they wanted me to keep it a secret...those two, they got us and the rest of the members good.”

 

Nana leaned her forehead on Jooyeon's shoulder. “Those two are dead, I'm telling appa...” she muttered darkly.

 

“Sounds like a good idea...but for now, let's go have our date?” Jooyeon proposed while caressing Nana's hair gently.

 

“Unnie, why don't you ask me to be your girlfriend?” Nana looked up at Jooyeon and pouted cutely.

 

“Aren't we supposed to get to know each other first before going there? Like most people do?” Jooyeon reasoned dumbly.

 

“Unnie~ we have known each other for years! We even lived together for some quite time, don't you think that's more than enough?”

 

“Ehehe, right...” Jooyeon rubbed her neck sheepishly. “Well then, Im Nana, would you like be to be my girlfriend?” she proposed once more with a smile.

 

“Absolutely yes, unnie!” Nana let out a dazzling eye-smile.

 

That put Jooyeon in fascination mode and she traced the area around Nana's eyes with adoration. “Do you know how much I love your eye-smile?”

 

“No, tell me.” Nana captured Jooyeon's hand and brought it to her cheek, holding it still.

 

“I don't really have any word to describe it...”

 

When Jooyeon moved closer to her face, Nana closed her eyes and felt kisses on both her eyelids.

 

“...but I love it so much.” Jooyeon finished.

 

“I think I like that better than words.” Nana smiled.

 

Then Jooyeon traced her thumb over Nana's lips making the blonde stopped breathing in anticipation.

 

“And do you know how much I love your lips?” Jooyeon whispered, getting closer.

 

“No...show me.” Nana breathed out.

 

Jooyeon closed the gap and kissed her softly at first. Then Nana kissed back with more passion, one hand running through Jooyeon's hair to the back of her head, the other went to her waist, and with those hands she pulled Jooyeon's body closer to her. Even after when they pulled back, they kept coming back for a few more.

 

Jooyeon gave one final kiss before they finally stopped.

 

“The date hasn't even started yet but I'm liking it already.” Nana admitted playfully which made Jooyeon chuckle.

 

“Shall we make the date better than this?” Jooyeon extended her hand.

 

Nana took it then pulled her over and deposited a peck on Jooyeon's lips. “We shall!”

 

They walked hand in hand with a happy grin printed on their faces.

 

---

 

Lizzy and Uee who were lazing around, cuddling on a bed, heard their phoned beeped at the same time. They read it over and over in astonishment before looking at each other and did a high-five for their successful plan. Jooyeon's text proved that:

 

YOU GUYS ARE DEAD!!

For pulling this on us

D

E

A

D

...but thanks, guys.

We're together now! :)

 

p.s. You're not off the hook.

Nana is telling appa!

 

“Finally those two,” Uee sighed in satisfaction.

 

“I know, right? Jooyeon and Nana unnie are hopeless unlike us.” Lizzy gazed over Uee from the corner of her eyes, something gleamed on them.

 

Uee knew what that gaze meant and smiled. “How about a last kiss before they kill us?”

 

“You read my mind, unnie.” Lizzy reached over to meet Uee in a kiss.

 

 

The End