☀ 003

Snow Turns into Rain, if Melted by a Flame
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
 

003;  Regrets 

 

Only Kyondae knew of her pains and her joys — Sumin's. Only Sumin knew of her pains and her joys  — Kyondae's. They knew everything about each other, yet... One was never able to say the words she most desperately wanted to. Becuase now, the two were separated, since one has fallen off the face of the earth.

 

"W-where's Kyondae right now?" Sumin shivered and rubbed her arms. It was so cold outside that her breath formed in little clouds. Her long dark brown hair covered the fluffy muffs which guarded her ears from the bitingly cold wind. She wore a fluffy white down coat and warm boots that went all the way up past her kneecaps. Inside her long coat she wore a red cashmere sweater and a tan-colored skirt. 

She had been waiting for over an hour at the place where they normally met up, which was a secluded park near Kyondae's place. Even though it was -2°F [roughly -18°C] below zero on the day, Sumin made up her mind to speak the truth that day. Not tomorrow. Not next week — Today. Sumin was desperate to tell her today because Kyondae was leaving for winter break the next day. 

It was unusual for Sumin and Kyondae to be quiet around each other, but because of her nervousness, Sumin tried to avoid eye contact and conversations with the younger. She was so nervous that instead of telling Kyondae to meet up at the park where they normally hung out, she slipped a little note of the date and time into Kyondae's locker which she scribbled on during second period math. Sumin hoped that Kyondae got the message to come and meet her so she wouldn't have to wait that long.  

But, minutes turned into hours, and by eight, Sumin realized that Kyondae wasn't coming anytime soon. Then it hit her — She didn't put her own name on the note and Kyondae must've thought it was just another love confession from a boy or worse, bullies that wanted to meet up with her. Sumin sighed. She herself taught Kyondae not to follow things mysteriously written on papers from people she didn't know. 

Alone, freezing, and feeling quite sick, Sumin took a stroll to the nearest cafè and decided to take a little rest there. 

 

 

"Hot green tea lattè, please," Sumin told the cashier who nodded and punched in the numbers. 

"Anything else, miss?" The perky woman behind the counter asked with a bright smile. Sumin eyed the desserts and breads behind the woman, and opened her wallet. She was tight on cash and all she had was meager pocket money, a little over $10. 

"Erm, how much is the cake?" Sumin bit her tongue. 

"Well, since it's the holidays all of the cake slices are off by 20%. So one slice of chocolate cake would be around $10 instead of $15." 

That much? Sumin grumbled inwardly and sighed. 

"Actually, I'm just fine with your bread," She managed to say with a weak smile. 

"Asiago, garlic, cinnamon, rosemary... Any one behind me is on sale as well," The cashier added. 

"Any flavor is good, as long as it's not too much. I don't mind the flavor."

"Then may I suggest the asiago bread for you, miss?" The woman said and reached over for the bread. 

"Sure." 

"For here or for to go?"

"For here." 

"And that would be $7.50, miss," She handed Sumin her lattè and bread. In turn, Sumin gave the woman her last ten and placed the change back in her wallet. 

"Thanks," Sumin said and sat down at the back of the cafè with her 'meal.' She practically lived on little meals everyday. Actually, she often had meals with Kyondae since Kyondae's mother didn't mind. But, tonight was different because Kyondae and her mother were going to Seoul to visit a relative during the holidays. 

 

"I guess tomorrow's just another holiday by myself," Sumin said as she finished up her bread and exited the cafè. She stepped back into the blistering winds and wrapped her wine red scarf tighter around her neck. Sumin clutched onto her warm coffee then took a sip as she walked her way to the nearest bus stop which was a few blocks away. 

Tap.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter