❄ 001

Snow Turns into Rain, if Melted by a Flame
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

001;  Gone

 

"Here lies Kim Sumin; Born on January 30th, 1997," A man in a black suit and tie read aloud from a long parchment underneath an umbrella. The man's hair glistened with gel, while Kyondae's glistened from the rain. She was the only person without a parasol hanging over her head; She refused to keep dry and comfortable in this dreadful event, which was her best friend's funeral. 

Kyondae didn't even know what to think. Random thoughts swam through her mind throughout the whole funeral; But she didn't cry. She didn't want to cry in front of the strangers who gathered. Strangers who claimed to be close to Sumin;  Strangers who stood tall and wore fake masks of sadness. 

 

 

A woman around her thirties  slowly advanced near the coffin; A man who looked much younger than her accompanied the woman with an umbrella  in his hand. The lady and the man both wore black; However, the woman showed off her curves with a skin-tight mini dress and her lips were slathered with maroon. The woman had dyed her hair a blinding blonde, making her look like a scandalous delinquent combined with an "all-too-rich", erm, "lady" atmosphere. 

She looks like a . Kyondae's eyes narrowed, her head burning. That's how you dress to a funeral? She added a scoff. More like some crazy club or something. Then she  finally recognized her as Sumin's mother, who had abandoned Sumin and her father years ago when Sumin was just nine. 

 

 

"Today I would like to honor my most favored daughter - Sumin," the woman cleared primly before she started to speak. "She was a good girl, who lived a good life and had good friends." Then she took out a hankie and dabbed the corners of her eyes solemnly. 

That's all you can say? Liar!  Kyondae screamed in her mind, a scowl already visible on her face.

"I know that he mustn't be sad — Because..." The woman paused, yet Kyondae believe it was only for effect. "I know that she's angel up in the heavens... May my daughter forever rest in piece."

"Is there anyone else who would like to say a few words of rememberance for Kim Sumin?" The man who first spoke asked. Kyondae hesistantly stepped forward, her drenched, knitted dress stuck to her skin like a suction cup. Her "beautiful" deep brown hair was completely wet and added extra weight to her head, which made her slump her shoulders and back like a misshapen person. Her once milky complexion was now an ashen color, gave her a ghostly look.  Everyone gasped when they finally noticed her, eyeing her stature and appearance judgementally. The elders turned their heads in disgust, while the youthful snickered amongst themselves. Sumin's own mother even gave Kyondae a snide look.

That was it - Kyondae was supposed to give a few genuine words of rememberance for Sumin, but she couldn't hold her anger anymore. Her head burned in annoyance and their lack of respect ticked her off. 

"Who are you?!" She announced loudly at the crowd in black. Her eyes flamed and she shot piercing glances at each one of them. "Who are you to be here- What was Sumin to any of you?!" Kyondae tried to keep her cool, but it didn't work. She had to let it all out. "If you boast about being her 'relatives or loved ones' then where were you when she was sad or unhappy?! Huh?!" The people began whispering amongst themselves, but she pressed on. 

"You are all LIARS. Damn liars who deserve to die instead of her!" Kyondae pointed a finger accusingly at Sumin's own mother. "You — You were the cause of her pain and now she died. Just how you wanted it to be." 

Sumin's mother let out a gasp and shook her head in fake shock. 

"You say that she was your 'most favored daughter' but let me tell you-" She turned to the crowd. "This has many." 

"Will someone please shut this girl up..?" Sumin's mother laughed half-heartedly whilst turning to the crowd. But no one dared to say a word, so she herself spoke up in defence. "Right. If Sumin was my daughter — Then who are you? What gives you the right to speak about my daughter so openly like that?" She replied spitingly.

"I..." Kyondae swallowed hard. "I am Mun Kyondae. Kim Sumin's most best friend. She entrusted her secrets to me and I to her. I know everything about her - From family to feelings and she with me. I have the right to be at this funeral mourning for her while all of you DON'T!" Tears began to well in Kyon

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter