Of New Friends & Inside Jokes

Extraordinary

"I still can't believe they shipped us off to boarding school," I grumbled as Daehyun and I made our way out into the arrival hall.

It was four thirty in the morning right now. We left everything we knew of behind two hours ago, and I swear leaving Shinbae behind was one of the worst experiences ever. That girl cried when I broke the news to her, which says a lot since she hardly cries.

"You seriously need to let loose, Danbi," Daehyun said, looking around the crowd of people waiting in the arrival hall.

I glared at him."And you seriously need to take this more...seriously! I can't believe you're taking this so easily!"

Daehyun glimpsed down at me, catching sight of my raging expression before rolling his eyes."You make it seem as though we're being shipped off to the other end of the world. We're not. Home is just two hours away, Danbi, and we get to go home during school breaks."

I huffed and crossed my arms."Still."

The idea of boarding school just appalled me. And I miss Shinbae and my parents already, though of course, I would never admit that to Daehyun.

"Mr. and Miss Jung?" A voice called out to the two of us. We turned around to see a middle-aged man, probably in his early thirties, approach us hesitantly. When he saw that we were responding well to the names he called us by, his face broke out into a smile as he continued his approach with more confidence.

"I'm Mr. Kwon, vice principal of Tokwan Acadamy and your personal chauffeur," He introduced himself, sticking out his hand for us to shake.

Daehyun shook his first "I'm Daehyun, and this is my sister, Danbi."

He then proceeded to shake my hand."So, I hope you guys had a good nap in the plane because you sure as hell aren't going to get any when you reach school."

Daehyun laughed and nodded politely."We did. And even if we didn't, we'll survive."

"Oh, I hope you guys do," Mr. Kwon replied, and I swore I caught a mysterious twinkle in his eyes. But before I can fully comprehend what he said and the hidden meaning behind it, he took the luggage from my hands and gestured for us to follow him. He led us out and waiting for us by the curb was a sleek, black SUV. 

"You use your own car to drive students to school?" Daehyun questioned as he helped Mr. Kwon put the luggage into the car boot. The elder gave a hum in reply, and then proceeded to move to the driver's seat. I opened up the back door and settled into the backseat, just right behind Daehyun who took his place at the passenger's side.

"That rarely happens though. Most of the time, the students come in a batch by a bus catered to and from school or they have their own cars fetch them here. Because you guys came in the middle of the semester, and its way to early in the morning, I'd have to do the honors," Mr. Kwon explained, buckling his seat belt and starting up the engine, pulling out of the driveway and joining the other cars on the road. He and Daehyun then started talking about school, the different kind of facilities they provided and the types of after school activities we can participate in. I droned in and out of their conversation, though I did make out Mr. Kwon talking about horse riding and their very own stables. We drove on for another twenty minutes, and all the while I realized that the further we went, the lesser cars there were. The one-way street we were driving on wasn't lit by any streetlights, thus it was completely dark except for the headlights coming from the car. It was as if this whole place was deserted, and that fact alone crept me out.

"Where's everyone?" I asked.

"Sleeping," Daehyun replied immediately. 

Mr. Kwon chuckled while I rolled my eyes. Always the smart one. 

Just then, the vice principal gently veered the car to the right. At first, I thought he needed to make a U-turn but instead; he went straight into the forest. I did a double-take, and I realized a narrow path just wide enough for a car to fit winding through the forest and leading straight into the dark. I eyed Mr. Kwon warily, and then looked around anxiously at my surroundings. As if the road wasn't dark enough, the forest seem to block out any form of light coming from the moon and casting eerie shadows inside the car. The darkness reminded me of the dreams I've been having these past few days, and I felt a shiver run up my spine at the thought of it.

"Shortcut?" Daehyun asked Mr. Kwon, his voice laced with apprehension. He seems just as freaked out as I was.

"The only way to school," Mr. Kwon replied.

"Only way?" I said, frowning. That's pretty inconvenient, if you ask me. Not to mention creepy.

"Yes. The school is bordered by the forest actually, right in the middle of a clearing," He explained, and as if to prove his point, we emerged from the embrace of the forest five minutes later into a wide clearing. And by wide, I meant huge.

This clearing was as big as five football fields combined, probably a good five acres of land. Like what Mr. Kwon had told us, there were no railings surrounding the school. Instead, off to the sides was the forest we just came out from, as if encircling the whole school vicinity and acting as a barrier on its own. As we drove towards the main entrance to school, I noticed how the lights located all around the compound casted a golden glow to everything it touches; the grass that spreads out to either side of the driveway, so lush and green I'm pretty sure it's fake. Then there was the two small water fountain that stood by itself on either side of the grass field and the many statues and benches located randomly around the place. The school was at least four stories high, made of red bricks and white pillars, giving off a Victorian feel and yet at the same time had a touch of modern designs.

While I was busy admiring the grand building, Mr. Kwon had stopped the car at the front and was climbing out. Daehyun stepped out after him, and regaining my senses, I quickly hurried out too. While the two of them took our luggage, I climbed up the polished marble steps, taking my time inspecting my surroundings. The floor was so clear and pristine I can even see my own shadowy reflection in them. As I reached the top, I noticed a logo printed at the centre of the door. I couldn't make out what it was, and even before I could, the door swung open, startling me and taking me by surprise. I shuffled back in shock, only to bump into Mr. Kwon who smiled down at me.

"Automatic sensor. Something like the sliding doors you see in shopping malls," He explained to me, leading the way inside. 

"Then won't that allow anyone to enter?" Daehyun questioned.

"We have other security measures inside, but I doubt there'll be any unwanted visitors," Mr. Kwon said.

"Wow," I found myself blurting out as I caught sight of the interior of the school. If the outside was grand, the inside was specially catered for royalty. The floor was carpeted a soothing colour of velvet while the walls were lined with intricate and repetitive floral patterns. Art frames and paintings hung proudly on the wall, and I swore I saw one of Picasso's works. The ceiling was high, with magnificent chandeliers hanging above my head and giving the whole place a resplendant glow. Antique looking tables were set up in towards the wall with expensive looking ornaments and decorative items on them. The whole place smelled of new leather with the faint scent of lily and caffeine.

This isn't a school. It's a goddamn hotel. How did our parents manage to get us in?

"This is the main hall," Mr. Kwon explained, breaking me out of my trance. We were out of the narrow hallway, now standing in a circular room with routes leading to all directions."To the right is the East Wing. That's where you can find the teacher's office and the teacher's personal dorms. The auditorium and grand hall is also located there.  To your left we have the West Wing. The classrooms, labs, and sports hall are located there. Generally, the place all students should be during lesson times."

He turned to look at us, making sure we got what he was saying. When the two of us nodded, he continued with his tour.

"As you can see, there's a staircase here. It leads right up to the shops; fashion, stationeries, food, books, furniture. We have almost everything here, so there isn't any reason for students to go out of school," He said, and I tilted my head up to look at the four storey high building. It looked exactly like a mall at this point of time, with the wooden staircase leading up to shops that were located in a circular fashion.

"And then if you walk past another narrow hallway and go on straight ahead, we have the dormitories. Girls to the right, boys to the left. We are really strict on girls and guys staying in their own respective buildings, so if you want to meet each other, do it anywhere but in the dorms."

After the basic introductions were done, Mr. Kwon handed us our timetable and student passes.

"What about our dorm keys?" Daehyun asked as Mr. Kwon led us towards the dormitory building.

To that question, Mr. Kwon gave him a knowing smile and shrugged. "You'll find out once you get to your dorms."

Daehyun and I exchanged a curious look. Deciding not to ask any further questions, we thanked Mr. Kwon for his help and left our separate ways to the dorms. Considering how posh this school was, they didn't have any elevators for students to use, which was pretty screwed up if you ask me. It was a tough struggle for me to go up the stairs with my luggage in toll, and by the time I reached the third floor, I was already out of breath. I doubled over with my hands on my knees, trying to regain my breathing when a bell sounded throughout the hallways. I looked up, listening to the sound which sounded very much like school bells, except much longer. And then the bell stopped and a voice took over the intercom.

"Good morning, sweethearts! This is Mrs. Nam speaking. It's five thirty, which means you guys should be getting up and preparing yourself for lessons. Assembly will be held at the auditorium at seven and classes will start at seven thirty, so please be on time. Toodles!"

I stared into space with my jaw wide open. What. The. Hell. Was. That? Was that supposed to be a wakeup call?

"Toodles?" I mumbled incredulously to myself. Shaking my head at the absurdity of it all, I tried to find my way to my dorm. The doors to each dorm was personally decorated by the people living in them, some with the normal 'keep out' or 'welcome' sign while others had flowers and splattered paint on them, as if the door was a kind of canvas they were allowed to do anything with. Muffled sounds came from inside, and I conclude that they were probably awake and preparing themselves for the day to come.

My dorm was located right smack in the middle of the halls, and as predicted, my door was plain and rid of any kind of unnecessary designs. I remembered Mr. Kwon's words of not having a key and looked around the area, trying to find something to allow my access into the room. And there at the side was a small mini scanner with instructions as to how to operate it.

"Press the white button and proceed to put your eye near the scanner," I read the instructions out loud. Frowning, I pressed the white button as they had instructed me to. I then placed my eye in front of the scanner. At first, nothing happened. Three seconds later, a green light glowed around the scanner and a soft click can be heard. I stepped back and saw that the door to my dorm was open, a small crack indicating that I was free to go in.

Thinking of how cool this security system was, I pushed the door open and felt my jaw drop for the umpteenth time that day. The dorm room was at least two times bigger than mine, with a queen-sized bed, a balcony that overlooked the currently darkly lit forest, a big screen television mounted to the wall at the front, and my very own personal bathroom. My gaped at the sight and willed my legs to bring myself further in.

No way. All these, mine?

My hands reach out to touch an empty picture frame on the currently vacant shelf when a voice disrupted the silence.

"New student?!" A voice shrieked.

I flinched in shock and swiveled around to see a girl my age standing by my open doorway, her pixie hair a mess and her eyes wide with enthusiasm, which is a surprise since it's only five thirty in the morning. We stared at each other for a good ten seconds without doing or saying anything, and I can feel the awkwardness slowly creeping up.

"Uh," I stuttered, at a loss of words."Hi?"

"Oh my god hi!" The girl said with a big grin, bounding over to me. I don't remember inviting her in."I'm Hana!"

I smiled politely."I'm Danbi."

"There was news about a new student in school, and everyone was so excited. Especially since you're kind of a special case, cause-"

"Hanaaa!" Another voice filled my room, breaking the peace and tranquility I had acquired before. I looked past Hana, who is pretty short by the way, to see a more mature looking girl running into my room. She grabbed the smaller girl in her arms, giving a forced smile down at her."What are you doing here?"

Oblivious, Hana smiled and pointed at me."Meeting the new girl!"

The mature one looked up and seemed to realize my existence only now. Her eyes widened in surprise, and she released Hana before bowing to me. I bowed back.

"I'm really sorry about barging into your room!" She apologized, and then gave a quick glimpse at the shorter one."And so is Hana."

I laughed."It's okay."

The girl looked relieved at that and stuck out her hand."I'm Jenn, and you must be the new student."

"Danbi," I introduced myself, and shook her hand."Do you guys hardly get any transfers over here?"

Jenn opened to answer me but Hana beat her to it."Nope, we get them a lot. From all different parts of the world. But we always get excited about them because that means we'd be able to discover about their identity and their po-"

Jenn clamped her hands over Hana's mouth, preventing her from speaking any further."Hana!"

The two of them seemed to be speaking with their eyes, and as if realizing what Jenn was trying to get across to her, Hana's eyes widened and she nodded her head to show that she understood.

"What do you mean identity?" I asked the two of them who were still looking at each other.

The both of them turned to face me, and Jenn shook her head while laughing."Oh, it's nothing. Hana has a very weird way of talking. She just means where you're from. We have many students with different ethnicities, you see."

I nodded my head slowly. That made sense, though I felt that they were hiding something from me. I’m not twelve. I know what I see.

"We have to go get ready for lessons, but if you don't mind, we can meet you at six thirty before heading to the auditorium?" Jenn suggested.

"That would be great," I said, and I really meant it. It never crossed my mind I would make friends even before the start of class, so a part of me felt relieved. At least I won't be lonely.

"Great! Then we'll take our leave now," Jenn said, turning on her heels to walk out the door.

However, Hana stayed behind, looking at me with puppy eyes as if she wanted so badly to stay a little longer. I stared at her in amusement, and Jenn, who realized that her friend wasn't following her out, sighed in frustration and came back to get her, grabbing her by her arm and pulling her out of the room.

"You'll be seeing her later, Hana!" I heard Jenn scolding her as they disappeared around the corner. I let out a soft chuckle. They'd be good company.

I closed the door after them, making sure it was locked so such a scene won't happen again before moving to unpack my stuff. Since I didn't bring much, I was finished within ten minutes. Once that was done, I decided to take a quick shower to freshen myself up for the day. However, I must have overspent my time in the bathroom looking at the different kinds of soap and trying to figure out how the tap works because I lost track of time. A doorbell was heard from ouside, and Hana's chirpy voice called my name. I hurried out of the bathtub, drying myself and changing into a new set of clothes before rushing to open the door.

"What took you so long?" Hana asked, a weary looking Jenn beside her. The two girls remind me of an older sister looking after her younger sibling.

"I was taking a shower. Is it time?" I asked.

"We have half an hour, so we can take our time to walk there," Jenn explained.

"Okay, then give me a minute. I need to pack my things," I told them, allowing them to come in while I put the necessary stuffs I need into my backpack.

"So, uh, you don't know…anything?" Jenn hesitantly asked me while I was stuffing my pencil box into my bag. I paused to look up at her, and I realized how nervous she looked.

"What do you mean?" I asked her, eyeing her carefully.

Noticing my stare, she flinched a little and looked away from me, making herself busy by drawing circles on the bed sheets she was sitting on.”As in, why your parents sent you to boarding school.”

I pursed my lips."Oh. Yeah. They just brought it out of the blue, and the next thing we know, we're being shipped off. It's pretty sudden. They didn't even tell us the reason why, just said that the education here was better."

Jenn nodded, seemingly deep in thought."So you came with your brother?"

I nodded to her question, zipping up my backpack.

"Is your brother cute?" Hana asked, blinking up at me with big eyes.

"God, Hana!" Jenn exclaimed.

Hana looked at her and shrugged."What? I was just curious. I won’t hit on her brother, I swear."

I laughed, and Jenn couldn't help but chuckle too. I threw my bag over my shoulders and told them that I was ready to leave. While we were on our way to the auditorium, the two girls gave me a brief overview of life in boarding school.

"It's almost like high school," Jenn explained."Except with more facilities and you get to live here."

"I don't think this school is anything like high school," I told them, looking at the decorative items placed around the school. I'm almost scared to touch them in fear that I'd break them. I bet they're not something you can just buy from Ikea for twenty dollars.

"Oh, but the system here is. Popular kids, geeks, freaks, nerds, jocks; all divided into their own hierarchy. High school all right. Lots of drama and-" Hana was cut off yet again by Jenn.

"And entertainment," Jenn finished, giving Hana a stern glare before casting me a grin.

"So, who are these popular people you talk about?" I asked.

I have to admit, I was pretty curious as to how they look. Don't all girls? But on a side note, it'd be nice to know who they are so I don't offend the wrong people.

"Usual bunch of good looking guys," Jenn said, though she seemed pretty unhappy about it."But they're really just troublemakers."

"I think one of them is really hot, and I mean literally," Hana giggled to herself, as if letting herself in on her own inside joke.

I stared at her weirdly. Just then, a shout came from my left. I could just make out a loud 'incoming!', and when I did turn my head to where it was coming from, I was greeted by a black figure flying past me, creating a current of wind strong enough to throw me off balance and I stumbled back a few steps. I couldn't make out what that thing that just ran past me was, but it has to be a person. A person who runs at the speed of a racing car.

"What was that?" I asked, breathless. I looked left and right, trying to find any sign of the student who just ran past me but to no avail. When I turned back to Hana and Jenn, they were looking just as stunned as I was. But as I stared at the two of them a little longer, I'm starting to think what we're feeling were two completely different emotions.

"Jenn?" I said, looking at her cautiously.

She snapped out of her initial shock and stuttered."I-it was probably a student."

"I know he is, but did you see the speed he was going?" I exclaimed, replaying the scene in my mind.

Jenn chuckled nervously."He was probably on skateboard. Our school allows that kind of stuff in here."

It didn't sound very convincing to me, but since it was the only plausible reason, I decided to stick to that. For now. The two girls changed the topic by talking about lessons and how we had all the same classes together. By the time we reached the auditorium, the place was already bustling with students. As compared to this morning, the school which almost seemed like a museum is now close to representing a people-packed zoo.

"Hana! Jenn!" A group of girls called, waving their hands to catch their attention. Jenn and Hana motioned for me to follow after them before walking over to the group of girls.

"Guys, this is Danbi, the new student," Jenn introduced to her friends. Silence fell over the three of them as they stared at me and then back to Jenn, as if exchanging some kind of message only they knew about.

One of them broke the silence first with a smile directed towards me and waved."Hi! I'm Jinhee, but you can call me Jin!"

"I'm Gahee," The other girl sitting next to her introduced. I took note of how Gahee and Jinhee looked identical, and I took it that they were blood-related twins.

"Saebyul," The last one of the three introduced, giving me a warm and gentle smile. She looked almost angelic, with her pale skin and kind eyes.

"These are our friends," Hana told me before ushering me to sit among them in the empty seats. The three girls then gave me more information about them, filling me in on past stories that had happened in school and which restaurants to go to for good food. I was so engrossed in their conversation that I didn't notice the man walking up onto the podium and taking his place behind the stand. He tapped the microphone three times before the students in the auditorium quietened down. Now that everyone was here, I was able to get a good estimation of the number of students in this school. Two thousand, at most. This auditorium was pretty big, almost as big as the national theatre I see in the richer parts of Seoul.

As the teacher, or principal of Tokwan Academy as he had previously introduced himself as, went on about announcements, I took that time to take in the students I will be residing with for the next six years. That's a long time, now that I think about it. It'd be shorter for Daehyun. Lucky for him. Come to think of it, I haven't seen him since I left him at the basement of the dormitory building.

"Danbi," Jenn nudged me.

I snapped out of my thoughts and turned to look at her. However, I noticed how the students sitting in the row in front of us had their eyes directed on me. The students sitting in the opposite row had their eyes on me too, and so did the students in the other row, and the other, and the other. And then I realized, all of them were looking at me. I looked towards the podium to see the principal staring in my direction.

"Jung Danbi? Can you please stand?" He said into the microphone, the sound echoing off the walls of the silent auditorium. My heart fastened. Did I do anything wrong?

Abiding to his command, I stood up from my seat, my hands hanging loosely at my sides awkwardly.

"Students, this is our new transfer students. Jung Daehyun and Jung Danbi! Please do make them feel welcomed!" The principal announced. I scanned the sea of students to see Daehyun standing up among them to my left, feeling as awkward as I was.

At that, the students clapped for us, out of courtesy or genuine welcome I’m not too sure. Some of them looked bored while others had sincere smile on their faces as they looked at us. Some stared at me and my brother with apprehensive glares, while others gave us curious gazes.

"Oh, and remember what I told you guys?" The principal said, gazing over the crowd of students."Be good."

I didn't like the tone he used when he said that, and neither did I like the way he was looking at all of them. It seems as though they knew a secret I didn’t. But that shouldn’t be new to me. I’ve been feeling as though I was kept out of a lot of things ever since I met Hana and Jenn.

Awhile after that, the principal dismissed us to go to our classes. I had no time to really discuss what I was feeling with the girls, but I doubt I really had to. After all, I'd find out by myself sooner or later.

28k6flk.jpg

It was currently twelve in the afternoon, the sun shining ever so brightly above us and yet the weather was cooling and windy. Almost perfect. To me though, this kind of weather was most dangerous. The weather provided a comfortable temperature, causing us to forget that the sun was still glaring violently at us over our heads. The next thing we know, we’d end up with a bad burn the next day. It’s as if the sun was leading us on a wild goose chase, using the temperature as a camouflage and while we were all being distracted, it’d strike us hard and fierce.

I had physical education now, and weirdly enough, it was scheduled to be held in the gym despite the good weather. The girls were all huddled in the girl's locker room, changing out of our clothes and into proper sports attire and shoes.

"I heard we'd be playing netball today," Hana said as she took a seat on the bench to tie her shoelaces.

"Ugh. I bet we'd have to play with the boys again," Gahee complained, securing her hair with a hair band.

"What's wrong with playing with the boys?" I asked her. I was already fully dressed, waiting for them to head out to the gym. Most of the other girls were already out of the room. We would have too if it wasn’t for Hana forgetting to bring along her sports shoe.

"They're so violent and rough. Not to mention competitive. They always have sly tricks up their sleeves," Jin told me, rolling her eyes."They never do play fair."

I chuckled. I understood what she was trying to say. Boys do tend to play a little rougher. With such a competitive streak, they tend to forget whether you were a guy or a girl once they were on the field with a ball in their hands.

"Alright, I'm done. Let's go," Hana chirped, jumping up onto her feet and pulling Jenn and Saebyul with her towards the exit to the gym. Jinhee, Gahee and I trailed along behind them, our steps smaller and slower as compared to little Hana who was practically running. Poor Jenn and Saebyul had to fasten their pace just to keep up with her. The three of them pushed through the doors, stepping into the confines of the gym when all of a sudden, they stopped short in their hasty footsteps. The three of us who was at least four meters behind them frowned at their unusual actions.

"What's wrong with them?" I questioned, only to receive a shrug from Gahee and Jinhee in return.

The door was still held open by Saebyul and Jenn, and I can see balls flying around here and there through the small gap it provided. My classmates sure are a pretty active bunch of people. I swore I saw one ball fly higher than it usually does, and I wondered who had such strength to throw such a long ball. Before I can reach the three of them in front, Hana and Jenn swiveled around to face me, their face filled with anxiousness and anxiety.

"Danbi," Jenn hurried over to me."I think I forgot something in the locker room, can you come with me to take it?"

Behind me, Saebyul had disappeared into the gym, and I wondered where she had gone to. The doors were now sealed shut, with Hana standing by it as if she was guarding it or something. I turned to look at Jenn, and then at Gahee and Jinee. Both of them seemed to look a little paler than usual. They weren't like that a few seconds ago.

"Yeah Danbi. You go with Jenn. We'd go first and try to get ourselves a good team before the boys takes up all the good ones," Gahee told me, and Jinhee nodded to her suggestion.

"Stop!" I heard a shout come from inside the gym. My head turned towards the direction of the door. The four girls around me stood frozen and quiet at the outburst.

"What was that?" I asked them. I took a step forward but Jenn quickly stepped in front of me.

"It was probably just the girls getting pissed off at the boys. You know how annoying they get at times," Jenn explained hurriedly, her words flying past in a blur. I almost couldn’t make out what she was saying at that speed.

I heard a crash coming from behind the closed doors, and my heart leapt in curiosity. I wasn't an idiot. I wasn't some oblivious girl who can't decipher through people's expressions, and if it wasn't enough, the girls weren't that good at controlling their emotions either. Weird things had been happening ever since I got in. Weird things had been mentioned ever since I stepped foot into this school. And something weird is happening behind those doors. Something the girls seem to know about but didn't want me to find out. It didn't help for a fact that I'm pretty stubborn when I want to.

"Let me see the gym first," I told the girls, sidestepping past Jenn to get to the door.

This time, three of them rushed in front to block me. They were looking extremely anxious now. More noises can be heard from the gym. More shouts. I think I even heard a group of students laughing obnoxiously.

I looked at the three girls and narrowed my eyes at them."You guys are hiding something from me."

"No!" Jinhee exclaimed, and noticing how frantically she had defended herself, she cursed under her breath.

"We're hiding nothing," Gahee told me firmly, staring directly into my eyes.

"Then let me see the gym," I told her.

"We will. Just accompany me to go take my things first," Jenn said softly, her eyes gentle as it stared right back into mine. For a moment, I almost did what she told me. For some reason, I was compelled to do as she had asked. But I managed to snap myself out of it.

I stared at all three of them, and Hana who was still guarding the door. They wouldn't let me past so easily. That made me all the more curious as to what they were so against me seeing.

"Okay," I told Jenn, turning around to go back to our lockers."Come on."

I swore Jenn heaved a sigh of relief, giving me a wide grin and walking beside me to go back to the lockers. A few steps away, I looked over my shoulder to see Gahee and Jinhee rushing over to Hana, whispering furiously in a hushed tone. They then proceeded to open the door and disappear behind them. During that short second when the door revealed to me the gym, I couldn't make out much. All I could see were balls being thrown here and there just like before. I turned back around to see Jenn walking hurriedly towards the lockers. I slowed down, walking behind her so that my carefully planned escape will be successful. When I made sure that I had at least a five centimeter distance between me and Jenn, I counted down the seconds before I turned around and sprinted towards the gym, willing my legs to open wider and for me to move faster

"Danbi!" Jenn shouted, and I can hear her running after me after a few seconds. But those few moments of shock and standing there trying to process what I just did gave me a great advantage because I was too far away for her to stop me. I reached the swinging double doors and pushed them open with the force that came from running towards them, and I stumbled into the high-ceiling gym room with its blinding white lights and sweaty stench.

At first, I couldn't make out exactly what the problem was. But just then, I caught sight of a ball in flames flying past me at inhumane speed. It was as big as a basketball, and I followed its trail as it hit the walls with a deafening thud that resounded throughout the noisy gym and fell onto the floor, bouncing a few times before it came to a stop and rolled off to the sides. The place it had come into contact with left a black, charred mark on the wall. My jaw instinctively went slack as I stared at the ball still burning in flames, bellowing black smoke out of it.

"Chanyeol, please stop!"

I turned to my left to see a girl chasing after a tall guy who had a cheeky smile on his face.

"Baekhyun!"

Another girl shouted, and I turned to my right to see a student trying to stop a guy shorter than her from doing something. Her hands were clasped around his wrist, as if trying to push his arm down whenever he attempts to raise them.

"You need to come down before she sees you, Kris!”

This time, as I faced the centre of the gym, I noticed a boy staring up towards the ceiling, his face tilted upwards. My eyes followed his, following the direction his head was facing and what I saw made my heart stop beating for half a second. A human, a student, was currently floating in mid-air. He was of lanky statue and had broad shoulders, his hair tinted blonde under the glow of the lights just right above his head. And by right above his head, I mean just twenty centimeters above him. The gym was at least three stories tall.

"Danbi!" Jenn shouted, bursting through the doors and into the gym. Her voice seemed to have won over the chaos because everyone kind of stopped whatever they were doing to look at her. But when they did, their eyes found me instead of her. They all stood frozen in their spot while the guys whom they were previously trying to chase around looked at me with a clueless expression on their face.

"Who's she?" One of them who seem to be standing in a huge puddle of water asked the male student standing next to him. The poor boy seemed to be completely drenched from head to toe while the guy standing in the puddle remained relatively dry.

"I've never seen her around before," A voice behind me said. It was a wrong idea for me to turn around, but of course I did. What greeted me was a baby-faced boy, standing on top of the bleachers with at least six balls floating around him. Two girls were around him, oblivious to the silence and trying to catch the balls hovering in the air.

"Oh my god," I whispered under my breath, staring at the levitating balls. I turned back to see the guy still floating in midair and said a little louder."Oh my god."

"Boys? I forgot to tell you! The new students doesn’t kn-" The principal came in from the other exit and stopped short when his eyes landed immediately on the guy flying in the air. I’m not sure if he was amazed or horrified by that scene, but he kept his eyes fixated on him for several seconds before he managed to tear his eyes away, scanning the crowd until it landed on mine. He held my gaze for a while before he sighed in frustration, his hands moving up to rub his bald head.

"Oh dear," He grumbled."Oh dear."

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Finally exo makes their apperance!  This chapter turned out longer than I wanted it to, so I hope I didn't bore you guys to death. Because the boys will be appearing from this chapter onwards, I bet it'd be much more interesting so stay tuned! ^^