Incheon Airport

Saltwater Stains

A simple gesture out of kindness led to a fairytale-like dream come true, seemingly impossible in this realistic world.

***************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

She steals glances at her watch and mumbles to herself every so often, as if waiting impatiently for someone.  Fidgeting around in her seat and frantically typing away on her laptop, it is hard not for other members of the public to notice her in this quiet arrival hall.  They speak crude remarks in hushed tones and start pointing – obviously, she is attracting way too much attention.  She does not seem to notice the tension around her though, for she is too caught up in typing.  Her face is scrunched up with her eyebrows knitted as her fingers fly across the keyboard.  There is a slight sense of irritation depicted in her movements for she is distinctly annoyed at the other party of the online chat.

“Yah, where are you?!  I’ve been waiting for two and half hours already!  Your flight was not cancelled or delayed, right?”  There is no reply.  To be honest, she is not angry at him for not replying.  She is more concerned than anything else – his plane was scheduled to land more than two hours ago yet there is still no news from him whatsoever.  Malicious thoughts start creeping into her mind.  Thoughts of the plane crashing, thoughts of the bloodshed and most importantly, thoughts of never seeing his face again.  She shakes her head and gives herself a mental knock when she realizes what she has been thinking about.  “No!  Melody, what is wrong with you?!  He will be fine!  He has to be.”  She tries to reassure herself but there is uncertainty and insecurity in her voice.

***************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

On the other hand, he is smiling to himself.  Standing behind the pillar, he witnesses everything.  Her frustration, her concern, her love for him.  He does not want to see her all worried but her expressions show precisely just how priceless their special bond is.  He cannot stop grinning like a fool, wanting to make her worry for him a little longer.  He knew he is being mean doing this to her but seeing her anxious and nervous make him realize how important he is to her.  That feeling is great.

All of a sudden, he catches sight of a single tear dripping and staining her white dress.  His heart breaks at once for he knows then that he carried his joke too far this time.  He checks his phone - 52 texts and 167 missed calls.  He cannot bear to see her cry for him when it is his fault for being a jerk this whole time.  Wanting to make up for his mistake, he finally replies.

“Aigoo, my smiling angel’s crying?  Have you forgotten what I tell you every single time before I go overseas?”  Upon receiving the text, she looks around, confused.  She demands an explanation from him, an explanation for his absence and an explanation for his sudden appearance.  He quickly hides behind the pillar for fear of being spotted.  A while later, he turns back.  From afar, he can see her clasping both hands around her necklace, with her eyes closed as she mutters some inaudible words.  He does not have to hear the words to know what she said for it is a secret shared between the two of them.  She whispers, “Min Ho oppa, saranghaeyo.”  “Melody, saranghaeyo.”

***************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

He steps out from his hiding place and runs to hug her from behind.  She wipes away her tears just in case anybody noticed and spins around, shocked and surprised to finally see the face she missed again.  She does not forget the scare he gave her earlier on, where she spent hours growing increasingly concerned about his safety, only to find out he arrived in Korea long ago.  She is oblivious to the weird stares by passers-by as she hits him in the chest time and time again for playing this childish trick on her that very nearly gave her a heart attack.  He just stands there, in the middle of Incheon Airport, letting her torrential beating and scolding descend upon him while he keeps on apologizing for everything.  He knows he has hurt her this time and there is nothing else he could do but apologise.

***************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

He had already arranged for a limousine to take her to the finest restaurant he knows of for a splendid dinner and had made perfect plans to ensure this night is purely memorable for his yeoja chingu after not seeing her for more than a month.  On the ride to the restaurant, her willfulness was something he grew accustomed to her as she was a stubborn mule when it came to giving in.  There is no way she would relent, especially since it was his fault to begin with.  He is helpless as the two shares a silent trip to the restaurant, without a single word passed between them throughout the entire journey.  Her eyes are fixated outside the window, where the view of Seoul is apparently more mesmerizing than his dreamy black eyes.

At the restaurant, he tries to appease her and is more gentlemanly than usual.  He jumps out of the car and rushes to open the door for his beautiful date, clad in a white dress as fair as her skin and a contrasting black belt tied around her waist.  To him, she is the dream girl any guy could have wished for.  Complete with a cheerful personality and a heart as kind as gold, her soft and free-flowing dark brown hair is an added bonus.  She is dressed casually but she is still as captivating as ever.  In his eyes, she is flawless and everything she dons looks perfect on her no matter what.  Much to his dismay, she walks scornfully into the restaurant without a second glance at him.  He stands outside in the parking lot under the cold and unfeeling moonlight, much like his unsympathetic date.  He does not blame her for her rejection but merely heaves a sigh.  “This is it.  Go in and make her day.”  He inhales uneasily before he climbs the hesitant steps into the restaurant. 

***************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Ee sesang malroneun pyo hyeon harsu ga obseo…”  As the starting beat of the song plays, he walks slowly into the restaurant, holding a microphone and singing his heart out.  He is dressed in a tuxedo and looks as dashing as ever.  She spins around from her seat as she watches him step towards her, smiling with confidence and overflowing with charisma.  The restaurant is empty for he booked the entire place beforehand to give her a surprise.  He wanted this night to be amazing, a night she will always remember. 

As the rest of the song plays, he walks closer and closer to her.  She is seated at a table just right in front of the stageand hasa perfect view as he sings his heartfelt feelings towards her.  “You’re my every, my everything…”  She immediately forgets all about her rage and how he treated her like a toy in the earlier episode.  There is no more pouting, no more ignorance and no more cold stares.  In its place is a bright smile, warm encouragement and touched puppy-dog eyes.  The couple’s eyes meet as he recalls that pair of innocent-looking big brown eyes that attracted him to her in the first place. 

While singing, he holds up a pendant in the shape of an airplane around his neck and witnesses her do the same.  Happy memories came flooding back of the time the two met for the very first time. 

***************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

It was quite a while back, probably around 3 years ago when he first laid eyes on her at Incheon Airport. 

She was quietly sobbing to herself on the plane and buried her face in the window, refusing to make eye contact with anyone.  The beautiful scenery of Seoul from above somehow triggered the works and made her recall a horrible memory she was trying so hard to put behind her. 

Lee Min Ho, a rising Hallyu star who gained recognition from fans all over the world.  He was an acting talent Korea could not do without.  That fateful day, he was tired of bearing this heavy burden.  That fateful day, he just wanted to be alone and away from the hustle and bustle of screaming fans.  That fateful day, he just wanted to be Lee Min Ho, an ordinary guy who needed time to himself without the invasion of privacy just like anyone else.  That he was.  Lee Min Ho had just returned from his leisure trip in America and was taking the economy class flight back home for the first time.  It was all an unusual experience for the young actor but it somehow felt exhilarating and thrilling to go on an overseas trip disguised as an employee of a huge contractors’ company.  No one recognized him, no one went crazy over him and most importantly, no one disturbed him on this trip at all.

Nonetheless, his perfect trip was ruined on the very last night home.  There was this demure girl seated beside him, crying her guts out.  He could not just leave her be, not when she was pale with tear stains all over her pink blouse.  Even if she was a stranger, he did the polite thing to do and offered her a tissue to wipe away those tears that looked out of place on her immaculate face that seemed to glisten under the moonlight that filtered in through the window.  Seeing this simple gesture out of kindness, she seemed to forget that this weird-looking man behind sunglasses, a thick beard and what seemed like a bald cap was a complete stranger to her.  She threw herself into his surprisingly warm embrace and let her tears defy gravity to fall freely on his shoulder.  He felt useless for not being able to comfort this petite girl he never knew and willingly offered his shoulders as a way of making up to her.  Somehow, he felt something peculiar boiling inside of him and it was as if he had known her for ages even though they had not spoken to each other before.  

After that weird encounter between the two, she poured out everything to him as though he was her trusty confidante she had known her whole life.  It turned out that her ex-boyfriend dumped her on the very same night they were supposed to go on a holiday to America together.  She left Korea alone in tears, wallowing in depression and she returned to Korea still the same as she had been.  The picturesque scenery of Seoul simply reminded her of his promise to never leave her, the promise he made and so carelessly broken. 

Lee Min Ho did not know what to do.  Here was an alluring young girl who needed company and yet here he was, trying to run away from the love and care of everyone around him.  He was at a complete loss and what he did next shocked not only her, but himself as well.  He turned to her and flashed her his signature smile she came to love later on.  Lee Min Ho took out a piece of paper in his back pocket and signed his autograph, including his number at the bottom as well.  Well, was she stunned to see this genuine autograph of her idol whom she actually bombarded with tissues and stories of her pathetic love life.

That did not change anything, though.  He grew closer to her on that one flight back home and they talked throughout the entire journey.  He came to know of her name, Melody.  It was a name suited for an angel, a name suited for someone like her.

***************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Back at the present, he remembers the promise she made to him – the promise never to cry over any guy ever again.  Yet here she is, as her tears are free-flowing in front of him.  As the song ends, Lee Min Ho walks down from the stage.  He pulls her close and whispers in her ear.  “There are more than 1001 Minoz out there but I only care about one fan, you.  I have never forgotten every single word you said since the day we first met and I never will.  Melody, you’re the melody to my life.  Saranghaeyo.”  The two locks in a tight embrace and Lee Min Ho cannot help but cry too.  Saltwater stains form but alas, they are no longer of despondency and grief.  The tears shed between the two are mainly due to joy, joy and happiness that they can be together.  “I’ll fly to the ends of the world to be with you.  Just hold this airplane pendant and say my name.” 

***************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Maybe, just maybe sometimes fairytales do exist.

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey(:  this is my first time writing a oneshot and honestly, it was difficult :X  Since I always hated oneshots :/  But this time, this is dedicated to a special best friend of mine, Melody(:  I know you have been down lately and I can't do anything to comfort you so here is something I hope will cheer you up.  Remember, your lobster buddy will be here to crab with always :DD I love you <3