Tea

Tea

One-shot 140214 [Prompt: tea]


 

Black. Dark. Bitter.

 
He swirled the hot liquid. The clank of the silver spoon against the white ceramic resonated.
 
Grey clouds hung low in the sky, threatening to rumble in anger and thrash out its raging claws of rain at any moment. 
 
He sipped his drink. No sugar... just black. Dark. Bitter.
 
He looked warily out the window. The streets were busy, as cars whizzed by and people never seemed to stop walking. Life for others moved on, while he was left behind. No sleep nor medicine could cure his misery. Time whirled past him. The todays blurred with the yesterdays. 
 
He lost all hope. No one noticed him. He didn't notice other people either. People continued to walk, and yet, he sat there, sipping his tea, letting his dreams dwindle to nothing. He looked into his future. How black. Dark. Bitter.
 
A twinkle of the café door bell broke the long silence of the morning. He looked up. Time stopped.
 
She walked in. Despite the miserable overhang of the weather, she was hopeful. Happy. There was a lively bounce in every step she took. There was a spark of energetic determination in her big bright eyes.
 
He only blinked. Couldn't breathe. Couldn't think.
 
She bowed her head at him in greeting and smiled, a mightily gorgeous smile. 
 
A flush rose across his face, as the corners of his lips turned upwards oh so slightly and a light happiness transformed his features. 
 
As she picked up her drink and settled gracefully in the seat facing him, he could only raise his cup to hide his bashful smile slightly before taking a sip. 
 
Maybe today, it's bitter...sweet.