To You

Happy Birthday

The first time I knew him, we were graduating from high school. He was such an unnoticeable person that I don’t really remember his existence to be honest. 

He had this slightly long black hair covering that face of his for some reason and because of that, rumour said that he had a lot of scars and your face was distorted, that’s why he had no friends and he was always alone, people were always bullying him.

I, on the other hand, was obviously popular and probably the most handsome guy in the school. Girls love to flock around me, trying to grab every attention. I am like total polar opposite of him; popular, friendly, handsome, and sociable. He, on the other hand, was just unpopular, quiet, ugly(?), and antisocial.

 

Due to the horrible battles between the females in our school, trying to get me to be their date on prom night which was held next Monday, I needed to get out before I get hurt somewhere in their massive fight. I ran towards the abandoned school library making sure that no one was following behind me so that I would not get caught by that flock of crazy maniacs.

I called Zelo and told him that I won’t be joining the gang for lunch because of the situation that was happening to me. Finally, I was away from that noisy group of screaming and chatterboxes. The library was so quiet that it felt comfortable and peaceful; in fact, it’s good to have moments like that. There were so many books in the shelf, although dusty, but still intact and readable. I was browsing through the book shelves until someone was resting on the reading table. At first, I was scared of him; not knowing if he was dead or alive so just to make sure he was alive, I threw a book and it landed on your head.

Thud.

The sound of his head colliding with the book could be heard echoing the entire building. He woke up from his light nap, rubbing his head to ease the pain while checking around the surrounding to see who hit him with a book.

“Ow…” he mumbled to himself, looking around the surroundings.

I wanted to get out of there before he could find me but he heard the sound of my stupid foot that just accidentally kicked a book that was lying on the floor. “W-Who’s there?”

I had no choice but show myself.

“Hi.”

“And you are?” He asked me as he forced himself to have a better vision of my flawless face through that long fringe of his.

“Himchan, Kim Himchan, from class 3-1.”

“Himchan…? Oh! So you’re the Himchan that is super popular in school, right?” He asked enthusiastically.

“Yeah, I guess so.” I shrugged while I had a satisfied smile on my face.

I guess it was nice knowing that I’m well known with guys too (although I never knew I would fall for you).

“W-What are you d-doing here? I n-never knew a popular guy like y-you would come here to be honest.” He stuttered, now that he knew who I was.

“I was actually running away from a bunch of girls.” I laughed trying to feel less awkward.

There was a moment of awkward silence and I avoided it by asking, “So… Can I go grab a book and sit with you?”

“Y-Yeah, sure, g-go ahead and choose.” His eyes widened, nodding away telling me to go ahead.

I looked through the piles of book but they were only filled music theories books and score sheets. I asked why only music stuffs, he told me because the section we were in was the music sections, pointing at the shelves which was all written “Music”. I felt dumb asking him that I face palmed in front of him and he chuckled, going back into his reading. I randomly took a music theory book and sat the opposite of him.

After half an hour of reading, I totally gave up. I did not understand a single thing ever since I opened the book. I closed the book and looked at him being so serious and absorbed in learning from the book he took. He could feel my stares and he took a peek at me, both of our eyes met but he quickly avoided it, returning to reading that book of his.

“Um, excuse me, p-pardon me for asking b-but may I know why are you staring at me?” He asked so politely.

“Nothing actually, it’s just so interesting looking at you, that’s all.” I replied, grinning at him.

Even though he hid his face with the book, I could see his ears flushed red, getting embarrassed at my comment. It was really cute though.

“C-Can you, p-please stop looking at me, it e-embarrassing.”

“What’s embarrassing about that?” I laughed while looking that he shoved his face into the book to prevent me from looking at him.

“I just d-don’t like it, please.”

“Fine, unless you answer my question.”

“And your question is?” Shooting one of his eyebrows up, curiously wondering.

“Why do you hide your features with your hair?”

Silence emits and blended into the surrounding. He was hesitant to speak as if I just asked a taboo question.

“W-Well, because nobody likes my face and people always make fun of my face, saying that I as ugly as the hunchback of Notre Dame.”

“Pfft, I don’t believe until I see it with my own eyes.” I said as I brush that long fringe of his to the side.

Damn, his face was nowhere near what the rumour said, he was like the total opposite of everything the rumour had; I swear if people saw his face before mine, he would be the popular guy in school instead of me. He had those black irises so dark that it was beautiful, nose so beautifully shaped as if they were especially carved out by God to make it only his, lips so red and plump; it tempts people to kiss him.

“Hey, you know what, meet me on a Sunday, at 12, outside the station at Gangnam; we’re going to get a haircut.” I said determinedly, rejecting his opinions.

“But I-”

“No buts, we’re definitely getting that haircut. Let treat it as a makeover, for next Monday’s prom. By the way, I still haven’t gotten your name.”

“Y-Yongguk, Bang Yongguk, also from class 3-1.” He utter with an almost inaudible voice.

“We’re from the same class?!” I asked as my voice grew louder due to the surprise. “Why I don’t see you around anywhere?”

“I-I sit at the most corner o-of the class room at the back.” He looked at me, observing my expression wondering if I had any memories of him there.

“Oh, dude, I’m sorry but I didn’t know you were there all along, I mean, I know that the last row I’m sitting was all occupied but I didn’t know you sat at the last row too.”

He smiled, “It’s okay, I’m used to it.”

It’s okay? But I don’t even remember your existence how it that okay? And you’re used to it? Just how much did people ignore you? I thought deeply, wondering just when all this started.

The bell for our school to end rang; we were on the way to get our bags and leave, while walking our way back to the school building, the girls saw us and they started flocking around me again. He was so scared that he grabbed onto my school uniform so tightly, not wanting to let go. The girls got jealous and they started insulting him.

“Ew, what are you doing here? You’re so ugly that you look even uglier beside Himchan.” One of the girls insulted, making the other girls surrounding her laughed.

“Get away from Himchan, you ugly freak.”

One of them even spat on him.

He just held his head down, letting them bully and insult. I had it; their insults were taking too far.

“Get lost, es.” I shouted as I rolled my eyes at them

Everyone immediately shut up and looked at me, surprised at the fact that I actually got angry at them. To the world, I was probably the nicest guy they thought I was but in actual fact, I’m an who doesn’t give two s about anyone except the people who are close to me.

Everyone started whispering among one another, looking at both Yongguk and I as if we did an outrageous affair or something. He, on the other hand, made the situation looked as if it was true; blushing so hard his cheeks and ears went red, it was so obvious that I think I can spot him from afar. Zelo messaged me telling me to meet the entire group at the rooftop, just the right timing; I would introduce my group to you. As soon as we reached the rooftop, Zelo gave a friendly conversation start, “Hey, Himchan, I wanna ask you about the club we’re going on-”

“Woah, who’s that standin’ behind you blushing so hard ‘till her ears gone red?” Zelo asked even though he already knew who it was.

He gripped onto my school blazer tight after hearing that.

“Hey, pretty girl, are you the new girl Himchan took a liking too?” Jongup asked trying to see his face.

“Get lost stupid baffoons, he’s a guy for god’s sake.” I rolled my eyes.

The both of them looked at each other and started laughing, “Are you serious? Look at him, his hair is as long as the length of a girl’s hairstyle and he’s body is so petite.”

“Argh, go and find some other people to with, he’s not interested in you two biual idiots.”

Just then, the school’s well known gay couple and come. Youngjae and Daehyun were one of the few pretty faces in our school but their ual orientation was kind of weird, but that doesn’t stop their popularity from increasing; those girls ship them like crazy.

“What’s with that vague messaged you just sent?” Youngjae asked.

“Oh, it’s nothin’, it’s just that none of you guys joined me for lunch today and I wanna ask somethin’ about the club we’re goin’ this Sunday. And another surprising news for today; Himchan has a new toy to play with.”

“Didn’t Jongup join you for lunch today? A new toy? Is it some other poor girl who was caught in Himchan’s sweet lies again?” Youngjae questioned, looking at me as if I messed up something bad.

“Nahh, Jongup was in’ some poor boy’s .”

Jongup grinned obviously showing satisfaction to what he did.

“What? You told us to come up all the way here, just to tell that to us? Can’t you just say that in the text you sent, you dumb. I was about to Young-” Youngjae elbowed him in the stomach and shut his mouth as Daehyun groaned after getting hit.

“Guys, guys, I need to clarify two things; one, I did not find a new toy, I just found a new friend and two, it’s not a girl, it’s a guy.” He grabbed my school blazer tighter, not wanting to show his face.

I reached my hands to the back tapping him, signalling that it was time for him to show himself. Yongguk was so reluctant to even move an inch away from me.

“Yongguk, it’s fine, those dudes are my friends.”

“Yongguk? That name sounds familiar.” Jongup said, frowning his head wondering who.

“Come on, just show yourself. It’s all fine. Trust me.”

He slowing showed himself from behind me. Everyone just looked surprised, except for Zelo of course, he was the only one laughing away because it knew their reactions were going to look like what he imagined. Youngjae, Daehyun and Jongup’s mouths were wide opened as if their lower jaws would drop off any moment.

“It’s that guy who was deemed as the ugliest guy in school! Why are you with that ugly dude? Oh my god, your image is ruined, Himchan.” Daehyun said without thinking twice that he would hurt Yongguk’s feelings.

He stood there all jittery and scared, still grabbing onto the sleeve of my blazer.

I rolled my eyes at him, “You’re being an , Daehyun. Please ask Youngjae to shove his into your mouth to shut you up.”

“I wish he would too.” Daehyun commented, smirking at Youngjae as Youngjae face palmed himself after hearing.

“Well, anyway, first, he’s not like what the rumour says, he’s like literally the complete opposite of what people said.” I shifted his bangs to the side to show the others his beautiful face. Once again, they were in awe, but this time, even Zelo was shocked because he didn’t know such a beautiful person like him would even exist, “Second, I’m going out with him this coming Sunday to give him a complete makeover for Monday’s prom so if you guys want to come along, tell me now so that I can make the arrangements.”

“I’ll go.” Zelo and Jongup said in sync. From their looks, I knew that they just wanted to know how things would end up.

“I don’t want to, I’m going to stay at home with Youngjae-” Youngjae shut Daehyun’s mouth once again. “We’re going too.” He smiled at both me and Yongguk, then turning toward Daehyun, eye signalling him to shut up.

“Okay, so see you guys on a Sunday, 12, outside the station at Gangnam. We’re leaving. Bye.” I said, opening the rooftop door, leaving as soon as I finish my sentence.

 

“Well, that wasn’t so bad, was it?” I asked him who was walking behind me.

“Y-Yeah, but it seems like your friend Daehyun hates me.” Yongguk forced a small smile on his face.

“Nahh, he doesn’t. It’s just him, he’s pretty blunt and straightforward so he hurts people’s feelings like all the time, before he transferred to our school, he was known as the pretty boy with a bad mouth because once he talks, goes down along with what he says. Thankfully, he met Youngjae and well, he became slightly better because Youngjae knows how to shut him up.”

“Anyway, since I introduced you to all of them already, welcome to the group. You’re going to be the last and final member of this handsome group in school.” I laughed.

He smiled so happily that his gums were showing. That was the first time I see him smile and it was so genuine and pure that I wanted time to just stop forever so that I could see him smile. We got our belongings from class and made our way out of school. I wanted to walk and talk with him more but sadly, we live the opposite from one another. We both waved out hands goodbye, hoping that Sunday will come sooner.

 

Saturday was such a long boring one. I tried to keep myself occupied by watching television programs or surfing the internet. It took time such a long time to reach 9 at night. I thought maybe I should sleep early so that I won’t be late. Apparently, I couldn’t sleep; the moment I thought of tomorrow’s makeover for Yongguk just made me excited. I check my phone, I walked around my house, and I opened the fridge almost every 5 minutes, not knowing what to do to fall asleep. Soon, I just let myself lie on the bed and I just imagined how fun it would be tomorrow and before I knew it, I was deep into slumber.

 

I woke up to the bright light that was shining through my window, taking my own sweet time to leave my bed until I saw the time on my phone. 11.30AM. , how am I going to make it to Gangnam in half an hour, I quickly brush my teeth, shower myself with cold water because there’s no time to wait for the heater , went through my wardrobe to see what looks nice on me today and went off immediately. It was already 12 and I wasn’t anywhere near Gangnam. Just then, Jongup called me.

“Where’s that of yours?” He asked without even bothering to say at least hi.

“I’m on my way down you idiot.”

“Hurry down before I Yongguk- Hey why you take-” Youngjae snatched his phone before he could start another dirty conversation with me.

“We’re going to the salon at the shopping mall we always go. Take your time here; we’ll be going off first.” Youngjae added. Thank god Youngjae was there; otherwise Yongguk would probably feel really uncomfortable.

“Yeah, sure. Bye”

I could finally relax since Youngjae can take care of Yongguk for me for a while. Another 30 minutes passed and I just reached Gangnam station. I walked as fast as my feet could bring me so that I would be able to make it to the salon fast.

As soon as I reached there, all I can see was 4 guys staring at someone with theirs jaws wide opened. Did something go wrong?  I thought. Oh , I hope his haircut didn’t go wrong. I walked into the salon and I turned towards the direction they were looking at; Jesus, who is that?

“Yongguk?”  I asked.

The guy that was sitting at the barber’s chair slowly opened his closed eyes and woah, he is one damned fine looking guy. He was just so stunning that my eyes filtered sparkles and flowers surrounding him, he was just that beautiful.

He looked so happy after seeing me that he almost left his seat when the stylist was still cutting his hair. Sadly, he knew his hair cut wasn’t done and he pouted a little showing disappointment. The stylist made the right choice of making his straight hair slightly permed. He still had a long fringe but it was fine at least it was shorten half and the back of his hair was chopped off. He just looked so hot with that hair of his. Everyone was so fascinated at him as if he was a hot guy from another dimension, the other stylists in the salon were also in awe by his handsome features and I could see the hair dresser that cut Yongguk hair felt so proud of her work.

Yongguk was shy after he saw himself in the mirror with those styled hair. It was like a 360o change of him. He asked while being conscious about his surrounding, “D-Does this even suit me? I-I don’t think people likes this hair.”

“It’s perfect, Yongguk, just perfect.” I said still looking his entire features. Wow, that was the first time that I felt I can stare at someone for the entire day, he was just really stunning.

I paid for the haircut although Yongguk said he could afford it because I was the one who suggested a haircut and things turned out even better than I expected and I felt happy about it. Then on, we went to buy clothes for him. Yongguk was sticking out like a sore thumb. He stood out so much in our group because everyone was wearing some decent outfit but then there’s Yongguk was wearing just some plain tee and casual shorts. We went into the shop that we often go but Yongguk was reluctant at first.

“I-I don’t think I can afford t-this.” He said shaking his head rejecting my offer.

“Come on, I’ll pay the entire piece we’re choosing today so it’s fine right?”

“B-But it’s not good for y-you to-”

I pulled his thin wrist to select the clothes that would suit him. From head to toe, we changed everything out and he looked so fashionable. He wore this stripped black and white shirt, skinny tight leather pants and a long grey overcoat that suits his body build so well; he was literally a model lookalike. Today, I’m sure all of us received so many shocks; we no longer know what’s out there to shock us.

We went on to grab lunch and we started knowing him better, of course, asking him all sorts of questions, dirty, dumb and of course normal ones. Jongup and Zelo kept asking about Yongguk’s ual preferences, if he ever had or even had his first kiss. Daehyun asked him dumb questions like why people say he was ugly even though he wasn’t, Youngjae ignored Daehyun’s question and asked Yongguk what he career he wants after graduating.

“I-I want to be a lyricist after I graduated from High School.” He stuttered.

Daehyun laughed really hard as soon as he heard what he wants to do. “You? You want to be a lyricist? Oh my god, please take care of your stutters before saying that. All your lyrics will be full of stutters.”

“Daehyun, can you stop being an to Yongguk.” Youngjae frowned at him as Yongguk put his head down feeling sad.

“Hey, come on, I’m sure you’ll do fine. You’re only stuttering because you’re just scared of us right? We’re really friendly people once you get to know us even better.” Youngjae said, comforting the poor boy.

I patted on his shoulder telling him it was only a joke and he lifted his head and showed a bright gummy smile and damn, I wished he didn’t show it to everyone; it was just so precious I didn’t want anyone but me to see it. We ate and chatted until it was time to go home; Zelo and Jongup went the same direction because they live in the same neighborhood, Youngjae was going to Daehyun’s house for an obvious reason. All of them left except the both of us, so I suggested bringing him home since I had an ulterior motive of wanting to talk to him.

“So, you want to be a lyricist huh?” I asked starting a conversation as we walk.

“Y-Yeah.”

“Don’t stutter anymore, you’ve known me for at least more than 10 hours already.” I laughed.

“I j-just can’t help it, it’s so unreal, everything is so unreal.” He said using his hands to action out what you meant.

“Just try to get comfortable with me all right?”

“I will, soon.” He smiled.

To keep the conversation going, Yongguk asked, “So how did your group of friends know one another?”

“Woah, it’s a long story though.” I replied as memories flashed passed my eyes.

“I would love to know how you 5 most handsome guys in the school know one another.” He said with those enthusiastic eyes.

“Fine… Zelo was a childhood friend of mine who loves clubbing so much that he ends up being a biual dude now. Jongup was known as the school’s horniest guy ever, so girls and sometimes even boys gets ed by him but I just don’t understand why the teachers never caught him in act, like ever. I knew him through Zelo because they are in like some buddies relationship now or something, I don’t know.

I knew Youngjae during second year when he was bullied for being gay, everyone shunned him so badly that they insulted him; guys were always making fun of him, putting those toys on his desk. Everyone knew I was friends with him so girls started to stop those insults and gossips but the pranks pulled by guys didn’t stop until when Daehyun transferred in.

At first, girls were all mesmerized by his looks but the moment he spoke, girls leaving almost immediately. Daehyun was in the same class as me and Youngjae, guys kept bullying him so badly that one day, Daehyun just went up to Youngjae, and they started making out in front of everybody. Well, of course the two of them got suspended for 5 days but for those 5 days, I don’t know neither do I want to know what they did, but they came to school together and they told me they were together ever since and the bullying stopped because the guys didn’t want to provoke Daehyun and that blunt mouth of his because he knows so much about each of them, all their dark secrets come out spilling before they even know it. We started eating together during lunch and soon enough, we have a group of lovely gays and maniacs born.”

“That sounded really hilarious when you say it.” Yongguk laughed, “But it’s nice knowing that there are people out there who accept who you are.”

“Everyone has their bad sides they don’t want people to know, just take me for an example, I always seemed kind and friendly but honestly speaking, I don’t really give two s to anyone except my friends and family.”

“That’s a really lousy example you have there.” He chuckled as he spoke.

I couldn’t help but to laugh along with your angelic laughter. We took the train back to his neighbourhood, we sat there silent, but comfortable; only until when the silence broke when he asked a really surprising question.

“Um, don’t mind if I ask you this but if a guy confessed to you what would you do?”

“Hmm, tough question you got there…” I thought long and hard before answering, “I would probably go out with him for a short while because at least he had the guts to confess to the same gender and I guess he’ll probably dump me soon enough once he realize my true personality.”

“That guy must be stupid enough to dump such a nice guy like you.”

“I don’t really believe that love of the same gender can really happen even though there’s Daehyun and Youngjae being in one, I mean, look at it, this society hates gay. The moment you speak about gays, they just shun you away like you’re some sort of disease and there’s like tons of homophobic people out there, there’s no chance of even marrying the one you love of the same gender.” I reasoned out.

“Well, I guess that’s true in one way or another.” Yongguk’s face showed disappointed in my answer. “It’s my stop now; I live just a street down from the station you don’t have to bring me all the way home.” He smiled. “Take the opposite train back and I guess I’ll see you tomorrow then.”

“I guess I will then” I said scratching the back of my neck, being oblivious to his expression. “See you tomorrow. Bye.” We both waved our hands goodbye and I took the train back home.