chapter i

Tied Up in Heartstrings

About a year ago, during the free skate at the skating rink in Saitama, I lost my balance in my of triple-triple-combination jump. I was sent to to the hospital and had to stay there for less than two weeks. I suffered concussion and severe injuries. 

I never remembered what happened on the accident.

"Mom, Dad," I greeted her with a grin on my face. "You came." She went near me and cluthed my hands, "Oh my gosh dear, are you alright?" I smiled at them and nodded, "never been better."

I rarely see my parents since they've been busy with the company. Dad is the C.E.O of the Hanjin Enterprises and Mom's the owner of Doosan industries but they were never been married. Yes, I was their illegitemate child. I actually have one half brother and two half sisters but they are all younger than I am. 

I was sitting on my bed, my back leaning at the soft pillow. "Where's Minhyuk?" I asked them politely. "He never went here." I pouted. I was confined in the hospital for almost five days but I never caught a glimpse of him. Minhyuk was my boyfriend, he had always been there for me and he never failed to comfort me inspite of all the things that I've been through.

"Baby, don't you remember anything?" My mom went near me and started to caress my hair. By then, my heart started thumping as fast as it ever could, "anything?" I laughed horrendously as the tension enraged inside of me. "What," I stammered, "What happened?"

"Before the accident you called me," my mom stared at my dad as if asking the permission if she should continue. Anger cued on my heart and I looked at the coldly, as if it didn't matter, "Come on, mom." I paused for a little, I was tensed of what she was about to say. "Tell me."

"You and Minhyuk," my mom stopped for a split of seconds, "you already broke up." Mom told me.

And I laughed hysterically, "that's impossible, mom." I shook my head. I was doubting if what she was telling me was true but why do I feel that it was? "You're lying." I rejected her statement. Although, somehow, I know that we already did.

But how?

"We we're okay a day before the competition, before the accident." I persuaded them, or maybe it was me whom I'm trying to believe the words I just said. I refreshed the memory in my mind how we had the perfect day before the accident.

"Honey," my dad suddenly started. "Just listen to your, mom, okay?"

"Why?" I smirked at him, rolling my eyes. Unconciously, tears started flowing from my eyes. "This is what you wanted, right? You want me to break up. You want us to be over." He slammed his fists on the wall and looked at me furiously. "Did you really think that was it, Soojung?"

"That man is a no good," he told me but I didn't believe him. He was always been there for me how could he be a no good? If there's someone that's bad between them, it's him. I don't really like acting protective over me because in the first place, he was never been a father to me.

"Please," I started, crying my heart out. "Just leave. Both of you." I looked at him and tears continued to crawl down my cheeks. My dad looked so hurt. He must blamed himself for the tears on my face right now.

"Leave." I repeated but both of them, stayed on their spot, unmoving. I looked at them as anger rages inside of me. "I said leave!" I threw my pillows and started crying hard. That's when Dad assissted mom on her way out, protectively securing her on his arms. 

I was never usually like this but my mind is so screwed up right now. Of all people, I knew that Minhyuk would be the one to be right here but where is he right now?

No.

They've got to be lying. I knew how much Minhyuk loved me and he would never do this to me. He can't do this to me. I reach for my phone over the table and started dialing his phone number, "Hello?" I said.

"Why did you call?" He asked me, his tone was cold and distant. 

"Baby, what's wrong?" I asked him. What's with the cold treatment. His not usually like that. Even though he was so mad at me but why and how could he do this to me?

"I thought it was already clear for you?"

I gazed through the window and watched the beautiful scene of the city. Everything was moving fast, the cars, the lights flashing on and off right before my eyes but I remained still. I can't feel my legs.

"What's clear?"

I can hear a smirk forming on his lips. "We're over, Krystal." He told me. I rarely use that name. I only use it during my competitions and he knows that name is foreign to me. Only the people I value calls me by the name, Soojung.

"I got to go." He paused for a moment as if he was doing something over the phone. "My girlfriend's right here." 

Girlfriend.

"Goodbye," he bites out but I received it bitterly, "never call me again."

"Babe," I muttered but the phone call ended before I could even say what I wanted to say. If I had the chance, what would I tell him? What would I ask him? How it happened? Why? 

To hell with this accident.

I can't even remember what happened. Great, now the fairytale turns into a nightmare. It's is as if I'm living in a strangers body. Like someone stole what should've been mine, my life. All of a sudden, when I opened my eyes, everything was taken away from me.

After calling Minhyuk, the next day, my parents talked to me and I wish they never did.

"Kyungsan, you tell her." My mother commanded, looking at my father intently and I know there was something behind that gaze. "At least, for once, try acting like a father to her." She added, crossing her arms.

My dad went to my bedside and looked at me. He touched my shoulders and met my eyes, "Sweetie, we talked to the doctor earlier." My eyebrows creased as I told him, "tell it to me straigh, dad."

"You're suffering from concussion, that's why you can't remember what happened on the accident," he breathed out deeply and continued talking.

And I wish he never did.

"When you lost balance, you strained your right ankle." He bit his lips, thinking if he should break it to me now or not. He knew that my breakup with Minhyuk was already too much to take. "It's in Grade III."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"The muscle in your ankle was completely torn and the doctors said that it caused your joint instability." He looked at me with apologizing eyes and said, "Baby, you can't skate anymore."

"What?" I stammered and that's when I lost my control. "I can't, dad!" I shouted. I started throwing tantrums at the room that I didn't even realize that my mother called for the nurse. I felt a sting on my arm and I suddenly calmed myself. Slowly my vision started to fade but before it did, I muttered soft words that I hoped my parents had heard, "please don't take away everything from me."

"Please." Tears flowed on my eyes before my eyes turned completely shut. "Don't."