I Remember

I Remember

My name is Song Jieun and these are my important memories. The memories that made me who I am. The memories that I'll always remember. The ones that can't be erased... The ones that I remember well enough.

Age: 7

Yelling. That was all I could hear in this night. The house was full of screaming, yelling, whimpering, and every other horrifying noises you can think of that came out of a human beings mouth. My parents were at it again. Their yells shook the house and scared me. That's when I heard the noise that scared me the most. A gun shot. I shot out of bed and ran to my window. There were footsteps coming towards my door.

"Jieun..." The harsh voice of my abusive mother called. I saw her shadow from the doorway. I hurried and pushed the window open.
"Jieun..." She sung as I jumped out the window. I ducked down below the window so I wouldn't be seen.
"SHES GONE?!" She yelled. Quickly and quietly, I made a run for it. I needed to run to the closest bus stop. Did she shoot my father? What happened? All these questions ran through my mind. What if she didn't even kill him? A bus was in a distance and I ran faster. I yelled for the bus to stop and it obeyed. The bus driver looked at me shocked as I took a seat right behind him.

"Where are you going?" He asked worriedly.

"Anywhere but here. Please take me far away, sir." I said as I stared out the window. For a couple of minutes, we rode in silence. He cleared his throat and I looked at the rear view mirror that showed his face. He looked really young. Maybe 20?

"Where are your parents?" He asked softly.

"I ran away from them..." I whispered.

"Why?"

"My mom abused me. My parents yelled at each other every other night. This time, I think my mom snapped. There was a gun shot and I ran." I explained.

"How old are you?"

"I'm 7." The bus driver stayed silent for a bit.

"You're quite courageous for a 7 year old. Do you want to guess how old I am?" He asked.

"Hmm... 20?" He laughed and I smiled a bit.

"I'm 37." My jaw dropped. I stood up and stood next to him, examining his face.

"You're not 37! You look to young!" I said as I laughed. He smiled and shook his head.

"Nope I'm 37. Old, right?" I smiled and nodded. "What's your name, kid?"

"Jieun. What's your name?" I said while playing with my fingers.

"My name is Junghyuk." I smiled at him and sat back in my seat. The rest of the ride was filled with silence until we came to a stop. I looked around and stared at him with confusion. We were in the middle of a field with one house in the area.

"Where are we?" I asked worriedly.

"You said to take you anywhere, so we're at my house. Don't worry if you don't like it here, I'll take you somewhere tomorrow. Okay?" He said to me. I nodded happily and he took my hand as we stepped off the bus. I looked around at the empty space.

"This is a lot of land." I said to him. He nodded and smiled at me.

"I own all of it too." He said. I held his hand tighter as we entered his house. As the door shut, footsteps ran all around on the upper floor. I tightened my grip on his arm and he laughed.

"It's okay, it's just my son and his friends." He assured me. I nodded and a boy ran down the stairs. Junghyuk gestured to him and smiled.
"My son, Young Guk." He said to me. I smiled and put my hand out for him to shake it. He shook his head and ran up the stairs.
"He's a bit...yeah. He's your oppa. Just by a year. Get along, okay?" I nodded at him and looked around again. This place already felt homey.