Summer (sequel)

Stop Worrying (Help is on the Way)

He’s still very much asleep when he rolls over and realizes that Youngjae isn’t there. His hand feels around the covers and he groans in exhaustion because it’s 4AM and he really doesn’t feel like getting up right now, but he realizes that tomorrow is their so-called “Dooms Day” and that’s enough to yank him out of his sleepy stupor almost immediately. That, and the fact that he just has to pee.

The light in the living room is on and someone’s yawning inside; he peeks in and sure enough, Youngjae’s sitting on the couch with his knees pulled up to his chest and his red eyes staring at the wall just above the muted TV. His entire posture screams of discomfort and anxiety, and Daehyun sighs and enters the room, a soft smile gracing his lips. “Still awake?”

Youngjae jumps and turns to look at him with obvious surprise in his eyes, blinking tiredly and letting out a long-suffering sigh. “Yeah,” he breathes as Daehyun sinks into the couch next to him, cuddling into his husband’s side as if on reflex. “I’m just nervous. It’s been eighteen years, I don’t really know what to say to them.”

"You’ll know when you’ll see them," Daehyun reassures him softly, wrapping an arm around his shoulders and kissing the crown of his hair. He could practically feel Youngjae shaking against him, and the fact that his parents traumatized him so much that he literally couldn’t stop shaking when thinking about them made Daehyun angry to no end. He wasn’t okay with his husband feeling weak and unimportant, he wasn’t okay with that at all, to say the least, and if it was up to him, he’d make sure that Youngjae’s parents never saw him again; as a parent, you can’t just choose to ignore your son because of something as stupid as uality.

A warm hand pats his chest comfortingly and Youngjae looks at him with slight concern in his eyes, which Daehyun finds ironic because he’s not the one having a mini mental breakdown at the moment. “I know you’re mad, but please don’t do anything,” the younger pleads quietly, resting his head on Daehyun’s shoulder with a sigh. “This is my mountain and I’ll climb it alone.”

Daehyun pouts. “But I don’t want you to climb it alone. Climbing alone is not safe.”

"I’d be safer without you and stupidity around, thank you very much," Youngjae replies dryly, stifling a yawn. On a regular occasion, Daehyun would be hurt; but he lets it slide this time, because Youngjae’s breath is already evening out and his body relaxes considerably, finally giving up on his long battle with exhaustion. The older smiles and shuffles awkwardly on the couch until they’re both lying on their side chest to back with Daehyun’s head resting on top of Youngjae’s. It’s comfortable and safe and warm, and it only takes a few more minutes for Daehyun to slide back to his previous dormant state as well.

Don’t worry, Jae, he thinks just before his mind shuts down. I’ve got your back.

———

"Oh my god, I think I’m about to barf," Youngjae gurgles nervously an hour before his parents’ estimated arrival time. Over the past few hours he’d managed to haul Himchan out of bed three times, run at least ten laps around the house trying to find his lucky socks (don’t ask), and scrub the kitchen counters twice. The twins watched him in utter confusion and Yongguk offered to help with the hunt after the missing pair of socks, which was later found under the sofa in the living room for some strange reason. Himchan just sits quietly and waits for the chaos to be over.

"Jae," Daehyun says nervously as his husband keeps on pacing around the living room, his eyes wide open with fear and his nails looking thoroughly chewed on. "Youngjae, hey, listen to me," he tries again, grabbing the younger’s shoulders and looking into his eyes with a smile. "Maybe you should sit down. It’ll be fine."

Youngjae lets out a highly doubtful scoff, rolling his eyes and biting on his lower lip. “You can’t know that,” he argues, his voice tinted with slight panic. “Things could go terribly wrong and what if they start yelling and I really don’t think I can—”

And suddenly Daehyun’s arms are around him and he nearly sobs with relief because he needed the comfort that only Daehyun’s hugs could offer; his fingers hold on to the fabric of the older’s sweatshirt and he does his best to calm down and breathe appropriately, his lungs soaking in Daehyun’s scent. A smile finally breaks through the stress and every muscle in his body relaxes- he’s finally home.

There’s a hand caressing the back of his head and Youngjae sighs and closes his eyes, welcoming that familiar feeling of safety he could only sense when being in Daehyun’s arms. “I know you’re nervous,” the older mumbles against his cheek, soft and smooth and so damn right. “But I just want you to know that whatever they’ll say, I’ll still love you like I do now. Don’t forget that.”

Youngjae heart clenches and he buries his face in the juncture between his husband’s neck and shoulder, pressing his lips against the warm skin there. “I know. I know you will. I love you too.” His voice sounds small and unsure and he hates himself for being so weak and he wants to hide, but then Daehyun’s arms tighten around him and he feels so calm for a change, so he just stays there in their warm little bubble and lets time crawl on.

I love you, I love you, I love you.

———

"Do you think they’ll like us?" Jongup asks hopefully from the hammock, looking at the blue sky above him with curiosity. The kids are all sitting in the backyard, looking at nature as it slowly turned yellow for summer. A flock of birds flies above and a slight breeze stirs the tall grass, the wind chimes hung on one of the old lemon tree’s branches tinkling pleasantly, like a waterfall. Yongguk sighs.


“I hope they do, for dad’s sake,” Himchan says glumly, squinting slightly against the sun. Jongup reaches over and gives the rope anchored to the ground a few tugs; the hammock starts to sway lightly, and the boy leans back with a huff.

"Of course they will," comes Junhong’s muffled reply from his hiding place in Yongguk’s lap, his face buried in the oldest’s chest and his feet dangling over the edge of the plastic chair they’re both sitting on. "We’re their grandsons, they have to."

Someone hums in agreement and they all fall into a natural sort of silence; Yongguk plays with Junhong’s hair and Himchan whistles softly and Jongup lays on his back and watches the clouds sail in the pure blue sky, the air thin and light and slightly cool on their exposed skin. Waiting isn’t fun and they know it, but somehow this form of waiting seems to be pleasant; Yongguk concludes that it’s because that they don’t really want to see their grandparents. They’ve lived their lives without seeing them just fine up until now, and honestly, they’re not very fond of them either way. They had years to visit them, but they didn’t, so what’s the point in doing it now?

The door to their backyard slides open and out comes Daehyun, leading the reluctant Youngjae behind him. “This one needs to calm down a little,” the older reports mischievously, closing the door behind them. Youngjae huffs.

"I am not a child," he says with no real bite to his words. Daehyun just blinks innocently and sits down on the grass with his legs folded, pulling out random blades of grass and looking at them up close. Himchan laughs. "You sound like one though."

Youngjae glares at him, his eyes expressing a deep desire for Himchan to be quiet. “Unappreciated.”

Junhong slides off Yongguk’s lap and run over to the sulking Youngjae’s side, grabbing his hand and looking at him with big, sparkly eyes. “We love you, dad,” he says as sincerely as possible, going on his tip-toes to place a kiss on his father’s cheek. Youngjae smiles and pulls his youngest son to his lap, kissing his forehead in return, his chest swelling with pride.

"Thank you, baby," he mumbles softly, placing his cheek on the top of Junhong’s head. Another breeze brushes by and the sound of a car pulling into a driveway is carried over the house; Jongup leaps out of the hammock and runs inside the house, leaving the rest of the family gawking after him in sheer confusion.

It’s quiet for a few seconds, and then Jongup dashes back out with an extraordinarily nervous expression smeared all over his face. “Dad,” he breathes quietly, “I think it’s them.”

Daehyun bolts up and hurries to his husband’s side, placing his hands on his shoulders protectively. Youngjae blinks and shakes his head and smiles in dismay, looking at Daehyun warily. “No, that’s not- it can’t be them. They’re not supposed to be here for another twenty minutes.”

And then there’s a knock on the front door.

All eyes turn to Youngjae, who’s suddenly very pale and very still. His mouth is dry and it feels as if his tongue has doubled its size in a matter of seconds; his eyes are wide and his muscles are stiff and he’s very, very afraid. A panicked sound rises in his throat and he’s scared beyond words and he just wonders why, of all days, his parents chose to be early today. Daehyun’s hands feel tighter on his shoulders and he clears his throat and does his best to calm down; he’ll be fine.

"Okay," he breathes quietly, wringing his sweaty palms and getting up. "Okay. We’re doing this."

It feels like his body has a mind of its own; his feet move on their own accord and suddenly he’s at the front door and Daehyun’s turning him around, his lips forming a smile and his eyes careful. “You’ll be okay,” he whispers, placing a kiss on his forehead. “Don’t let them get to you.”

And before Youngjae knows it he’s scooting closer and his lips are on Daehyun’s and they’re sharing what’s perhaps their most passionate kiss up to date, their lips moving together and their arms around each other and it’s a little bitter because he’s so damn nervous, but they still keep going until there’s another knock on the door and they spring apart, panting and slightly embarrassed. Daehyun nods.

So Youngjae turns around again and open the door with a nervous smile.

"Hi, mom."


i apologize for the cliffhanger i just wanted to give you guys a sequel or something and idk idk

fyi i had a nightmare in which all my fics had terrible and cheesy titles like this sequel has and this is just making things worst but i can't tHINK OF ANYTHING RIGHT NOW OKAY maybe i'll change the title later but don't count on it