OO1. The Basics

The Writing Desk { a complete writer's guide and workshop }
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

→The Basics

 

Alright. So to start off, we're going to go over very basic sentence structure, and what will sound the best, and make the most sense.

So here we have a basic sentence:

She looked up at him.

It's very basic, and very vague. Instead of using names, pronouns are used. Pronouns take place of nouns so you don't have to keep repeating information over and over again. Instead of constantly using character names, you can use pronouns. He, she, they, him, her, and them, are all pronouns. You can also use possessive pronouns instead of saying Kai's, Kris's, etc. over and over again. These possessive pronouns are hers, his, and theirs. In these, we don't need to use a comma( ' ).

Be very careful in using pronouns, though. It's easy to make a mistake in a sentence if English isn't your first language. For example, "They sat down around the campfire." is correct. "Them sat down around the campfire." is incorrect.

In general, he, she, and they will be followed by a verb (an action word). Him, her, and them refer directly to the person (I like him.) Both of these concepts can be seen in the sentence above. She looked ('she' is followed by a verb) up at him (referring directly to the other person, 'him').

 

Now, going back to the original sentence. "She looked up at him." This sentence is in the past tense, which is what the majority of writers write in. "Looked" is in the pas

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter