The Sky Fall

The Sky Fall
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

She watched him as the sky poured down on him. What has now become a routine since, to be exact, a fortnight ago when he first appeared in a jet black Bayerish Motoren Werke, she could not help but notice more.  No, she wasn't the drooler type. It was a long day at work and after the never ending house chores, she had drawn the shades on the window by her desk to let in the breeze. Living alone was indeed tiresome but there were certainly moments later in the day when solitude is the greatest comfort of all times. Then, his handsomeness had only managed to hold her gaze for just a few moments. It was only later, that his Augustness, drenched by choice, night after night, by the Hangang, kept her waiting and watching. It sure was damaging or should she say damaged? The language his body spoke, though clear, was devoid of clarity as it expressed misfortune, grief and a need for solitude, which was probably his reason. Though knowing that her thoughts were no match for the mysteriousness he embodied, he was magnet that kept her glued to her window and her eyes on him. And just when she was about to give up on the day, the other door opened to a man all suited up, his one hand holding an umbrella while the other reached out to the man seated before him. She stopped to wonder how he had eluded her all this while.

 

Hyung Chin cleared his throat only to welcome a growl in response.

 

"I thought I had warned you well."

 

"Hyun Joong, how long are you going to do this to yourself?" Hyun Chin reprimanded as he moved closer to the once little boy who was now bounded to the armchair and its wheels.

 

"Yes I did it to myself. And that is why I need to know, more than anyone else, the reason. Why I did it to myself? Why I let myself halt in the middle of a busy traffic island? Why i let myself hold on to the break long enough to get myself hit? Why?" He sighed in desperation as he trailed off... " I need to know why...?"

 

"But your search here I see, has attracted questioning eyes."

 

"There is no need to take a detour. And People and their attraction to me is News now? Is it Mr. Chin?"

 

"Not people. Just a pair of eyes. Familiar eyes. I do not know what makes them familiar but maybe she was a witness..."

 

He cut his manager's words as he bellowed "For all I care you can go dig your witness to leave me alone."

   

As much as the sound of the bell alarmed her she had least expected the suited man at her door, awaiting her. Even though it was only a few minutes ago that she saw him disappear in the direction of her apartment. She wasn't scared but she knew she had to be cautious. Before further doubts took over her, she had let herself open the door to the man who invited himself in, because for some reason she had become to trust the solitary figure several feet below her.

 

"Good evening Miss, though I am well aware that it is way past visiting hours and I deeply apologise for the same.", he copped out in Korean as he bowed.

 

"Sorry I do not speak Korean nor do I understand much of it. So if you wouldn't mind", her perplexity blurted out.

 

He apologised again as he repeated quite fluently in English impressing her uni-lingual brain. "I am Dong Hyung Chin, Manager to Mr. Kim Hyun Joong."

 

Mmmmhmmmm.. She mimed , while her mind continued to blurt out loud, "But what brings you here?" unable to control it's inquisitiveness.

 

"Well Miss., let me get straight to the point. We wonder if you knew anything about the unfortunate incident that occurred not very far from here a few weeks ago? Been a witness by chance or something?"

 

"What incident?" She enquired, her curiosity growing. "Sorry, I have been here for only about 3 weeks."

 

He turned to the pile of local newspapers and pulled out the one that slightly stuck out at the very bottom, enough for him to recognise, as soon as he had entered this western styled apartment.

 

"This." He pointed at the headline enumerated by two photographs. One, of the accident and the other of HIM. "He was so breathtakingly beautiful!" "No he IS.. " She corrected her thoughts as she flinched out loud "He is Kim Hyun Joong? He is HIM??". She completed, her fingers directing Hyung Chin to whom she could still see through the shady window pane.

  "So you have come across him, before!" he exclaimed, questioning her.   "Ëxcuse Me. May I please..."    "Yes Mr. Yun Hyeon, Thank you for making it at this hour." she greeted the entrant as she turned to Mr. Hyung Chin "Meet my Manager, Mr. Ki Yun Hyeon."   "What I know about Him is the man soaking himself down there everynight, for the past fortnight. The Accident when it took place, Me and My Manager were there, though i do not recognise him from then. In fact his face was unknown to me until you came by. And that is where Mr. Hyeon might be of help to you." She finished as she handed over the daily to her Manager.     Hyung Chin pleased with himself led them down the elevator to his Young Master.    "It might just be a coincidence, but you resemble his mother." he stated in a whisper to her ears before he scurried away to the man, who was now clearly visible to her, though doused in the rain. Her Manager walked by her side holding out an umbrella sealing her from the fall.   "Hyun Joong!" 

"Yes Mr. Chin your onlooker was a sham after all, eh?

"They are here.."   "They? He had mentioned just a She. Oh! Whatever!" he thought as he his wheels reluctantly to face the added nuisance.   It was then, when his eyes met hers, a parade of memories flushed into his being, letting him scream out loud  "Om-mo-ney...", his voice fading away as he fell unconscious on his chair. The words though had not left her, echoing in her ears, with the similarity in then and now, screaming in tandem inside her, she flinched.   While in her car, she remembered Mr. Hyung Chin carrying him into the car and speeding away and she deciding to follow them, because she needed to know. She shrugged and breathed out to her manager what she was told earlier.. "I resemble his mother!"   In the hospital lounge, after an hour of consultation with the Doctor, Hyung Chin broke down a long story short to her. "Hyun Joong was born to Mr. Kim Hyun Jun and Mrs. Kim Jin Eun. Their only son. I have known him since then. Mr. Kim was a well sought out business man and being his Manager in the past, I know he was genuinely busy and his time for his family was not taken away with his approval. One such busy day when he had promised Lady Kim and Little Master Hyung Joong a boat ride but had to withdraw the last moment, call it fate. Little Joong was adamant and Mrs. Kim for the joy of her son..." he had paused savouring his breath and the speckle in his eye "...She took him. And for some random reason the unusually upset sky fell down upon them without mercy. I was attentive by Mr. Kim when we realised the coming storm. And by the time we had reached within sight of the vessel a brave Mrs. Kim was struck by the lightning just as she cloaked her little boy with a plastic sheet. Since then he has been unwell at times. Remembering her. Doctors say they are visual hallucinations. Hyun Joong blames his father but i think... " He left her hanging as the doctor came in with an update, letting her finish for her self, "He blames himself!"   "He is awake." The doctor had announced. Hearing this, the Manager had disappeared to Hyun Joong's side while she let her thoughts pronounce loudly "Thank you Doctor. Now I shall take my leave." realizing that it might not be safe for him, that she stays, as she recalled that he had already been unconscious for over 12 hours.   The Doctor though insisted that she had a word with the Manager before leaving    "It was her! She was the reason." she heard him exclaim, "I had seen her, and I thought it was her. No, I saw her, it was her and then I got hit!" He pressed his hands against his exploding head as she listened to the Manager's voice repeatedly telling him to calm down and stop remembering. She stood trembling, "I cannot let him see me again" as she spun on her heels to leave.   "Hey!" she felt a pair of cold slithery hands catch hers, as she had leapt not more tha
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter