Neighbors

Neighbors
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sunlight pours into ______’s room as her alarm blares her favorite kpop song, for the fifth time already, she hits the snooze button, again, with an aggravated sigh; there’s no way it’s time to get up already. She’d been up all night studying for her calculus exam that is taking place today. Calculus, by far, is her worst subject, she’d studied the best she could and for way longer than she should have, ignoring her other subjects to diligently work on it, but she still seemed to get nowhere in the end, even after three straight hours of doing practice problems, she still doesn’t get it. Her eyes flutter closed again and she falls back asleep once more, pushing calculus from her mind.

_______ is woken abruptly by someone tugging on her blankets; she opens her eyes confused and sees her mother standing over her with a frown.

“Get up ______; you’re going to be late for school honey.” Her mother finishes her statement by yanking the cocoon of blankets away from her daughter with a disapproving frown. “Don’t you have a test today?”

_______ gasps as cold air hits her exposed legs sending goosebumps along her skin; she pulls her legs up to her chest in a fetal position, letting out a childish whine; she nods her head sadly confirming her mother’s question.

“Yes, thank you for reminding me mom.” She sighs again, dreading school; she knows she is going to fail this test.

“Come on, you don’t have time to sulk,” Her mom’s voice is gentler and she wears a sympathetic smile as she brushes _______’s unruly bangs from her forehead affectionately. “You missed the bus already so you’re going to have to walk today; your father took the car to work so I can’t drive you.” Her mother grabs both of her hands pulling her up into a sitting position and pats her head softly. “And bundle up, it’s pretty chilly out.”

“Ok,” She grumbles sleepily, rubbing her tired eyes; great, now she has to walk in the bitter November cold and take the calculus test, can this day get any worse? “I’m up.” ______ grumbles.

Satisfied to see _____ starting to get off the bed, slowly, but it’s better than nothing, her mother exits the room without another word. _____ trudges sluggishly through her morning routine, barely having time to jump in the shower because of how much she’d overslept. She hates Mondays, they are always the worst. After ten minutes of wrestling with her unruly dark curls, she finally gets her hair to look half way descent pooling around her shoulders. She adds a cute blue headband with a small bow to match her schools blue and white uniform. She doesn’t mind the uniforms usually, but today she wishes she could wear pants instead of the pleaded skirt that barely comes down to her mid-thigh, it’s definitely not low enough to save her legs from frostbite. The weather is anything but promising, she can hear the loud howl of the wind as it rattles the windows, so much for a good hair day; she pulls her hair into a high pony tail instead of leaving it down and puts the headband back in.

She pulls her shoes on quickly after realizing she only has twenty minutes before the first bell rings and her first period class is calculus; whoever had arranged her schedule for this year definitely hates her. She scrambles to get her coat on, nearly tripping over the mountain of shoes in the foyer; she’ll have to organize them when she gets home. Her eyes scan every inch of the front closet but her scarf is nowhere to be found, she’ll freeze to death without it; if her legs don’t freeze off first. She checks her phone frantically, fifteen minutes until class starts; lucky for her the school is just up the road and it usually only takes her ten minutes to get there. Frustrated, she forgets about her scarf, buttoning her black pea coat all the way up, tugs on her black gloves and hoists her book bag onto her shoulder, yelling a quick goodbye to her mother, before stepping out into the frigid air.

Her breath catches in as she inhales sharply, freezing her insides. The wind whips at her exposed legs harshly, she’s gotta hurry to school before she freezes to death. The wind is so bad she is barely able to keep her eyes open, she starts her walk through heavy lidded eyes unable to see much of anything, today is not going to go well; she has a bad feeling already. Tears stream down her face as the wind blows fiercely right into her eyes. She raises both hands up, holding her book bag up as a shield, not really able to see more than a few steps in front of her, keeping her eyes planted on the ground, this isn’t helping. It’s a straight shot to the school, mainly through unpopulated areas, not many people have cars in this area, so she decides, for her eyes sake, that she’s going to walk with her eyes closed for a bit; bad idea.

She slams into something solid, falling backwards from the impact; she’d been at a slow jog hoping to keep warm and make it to school faster. She flails her arms out dropping her heavy bag to the ground, letting out a choked squeak, trying to get her balance back. Her efforts are futile and she squeezes her eyes shut, bracing herself, ready for the hard impact of the cold cement that is surely going to crack her skull open and probably knock her out. To her surprise though, she is stopped in mid fall by a pair of strong arms, they envelope her warmly and pull her back to her feet. She keeps her eyes closed for a second, bewildered and confused. Her face is pressed securely against a warm chest and the material smells undeniably masculine.

“Are you ok?” A male voice asks her holding her by both arms; her eyes finally open; she looks up past a matching school uniform and opens, but any words she’d formulated in her head get caught in .

The boy in front of her is one of the most handsome boys she’s ever laid eyes on. His dark eyes are smoldering with mystery and hidden emotion; his equally dark bangs hang low on his forehead accentuating his perfect features, from his sharp square jaw line to his plump kissable pink lips, he’s perfect, flawless, and beautiful. His head is tilted to the side cutely as he waits for a response, with a raised eyebrow and owlish eyes.

“Yah, can you talk?” He demands shaking her a little, when she still doesn’t respond he waves his free hand in front of her stunned face, nothing. “Aish.” He grumbles flicking her nose, startling her and she snaps out of her reverie blinking her eyes rapidly trying to focus on his face.

            “Y-yes, I’m sorry.” She bows repeatedly, disconnecting his grip on her arm, and blushes crimson, does he think she’s an idiot? “Thank you so much.”

            “It’s fine;” He releases his hold on her and picks up her forgotten book bag putting it on her shoulder for her. “You should watch where you’re going.” He remarks off handedly, waving off her thanks and turns around on his heels and starts to walk toward the school.

            _________ stares shamefully as he starts to walk away, her eyes drift down to places she shouldn’t be looking at; as if he feels her eyes piercing through his skin, he turns back around looking at her expectantly.

            “You coming?” He questions, sounding a little annoyed.

            Just then, she remembers her urgency to get to school, she’s now thankful for the chilly air that’s helping to conceal her flushed face.

            “Y-yes, right.” She jogs to catch up with him and they walk in silence.

            She sneaks shy sideways glances at him every few seconds, making sure he’s real, he’s such a beautiful boy, it’s crazy to think she’s never seen him around school before. Maybe he’s in a different grade than she is, but to her, he looks to be her age. She usually keeps to her close knit group of friends and while she’s in class she mostly keeps to herself, studying or listening to her ipod. She needs to get good grades so she can get into a good university next year, it’s the last year of high school and her parents have been extra hard on her about grades.

            She falls in step with the dark haired mystery boy and finds a smile playing on her lips, maybe today isn’t going to be as bad as she thought. She sneaks another glance, looking up through her eyelashes as the wind continues to blow wildly and finds him staring straight at her; she nearly trips over her own feet.

            “Aren’t you cold?” His voice is a mixture of demanding and concern all at the same time as he stares at her like she’s crazy; his stare gives her an overwhelming sense of discomfort and pleasure all at the same time.

She nods her head before she can make a polite denial of the fact. “I couldn’t find my scarf this morning.” She admits sheepishly, he sighs, shaking his head disapprovingly.

He starts to pull off the bright red scarf that’s securely wrapped around his own neck, keeping him warm, and stops, mid-step, grabbing her arm to steady her and wraps the material around her before she even realizes what is happening.

            “W-wait, you don’t have to-” He cuts off her words with a frozen finger to her chapped lips; her eyes are the size of tea saucers as she stares, puzzled by his actions, he pulls his finger away with a small grin.

            “Just take it.” He states irritably. “My name’s Myungsoo by the way.” He starts walking again.

            She follows after him; her hands instinctually tangle themselves in the soft fabric of the scarf bringing another smile to her face.

            “Thank you, Myungsoo-ah,” She loves the way his name rolls off her tongue and finally remembers her manners. “My name is Park _______.”

            He smirks, making a soft snorting nose. “What kind of name is that?” He teases bumping his shoulder into hers playfully.

            “Hey, I’ll have you know _______ is a perfectly normal name to have!” She retaliates with a soft shove of her own, laughing cheerfully; soon they reach the gates of the school, too soon for her liking.

            “Well, I guess this is goodbye.” She murmurs, unable to hide the disappointment in her voice. “Thank you for saving me from hospitalization and hypothermia.”

            He gives her another y smirk leaving her breathless. “Are you skipping the calculus test today?” He asks incredulously, as if he can’t believe she’s that bad of a student.

            “What?” Her brain has all but shut down, filled to the brim with every single move Myungsoo makes.

            He looks hurt by her dumb statement. “We’re in the same class.”

            She shakes her head in denial, there’s no way this beautiful creature could be in the same class with her, no way. She tries to think back to every single day of calculus, they all blur together into boring lectures and stress and nothingness.

            “Oh, yes of course, I knew that.” She laughs nervously, trying to sound convincing, whether or not he believes her, she can’t tell by his facial expression, he lets it go and gives her a tiny grin.

            “Let’s go, we’re going to be late.” He grabs her hand, surprising her and nearly giving her a heart attack, and drags her all the way to class.

            The two burst in the classroom just as the bell rings and the whole class, including the teacher, look at them with shocked expressions. They ran the whole way, up three flights of stairs and down countless hallways, whose idea was it to put the calculus room all the way on the top floor and all the way at the back of the school? The two stand together, panting lightly, red faced, and still hand in hand; they both seem to realize it at the same time and take a few steps away from each other dislodging their hands and bow a greeting to the teacher.

            “Mr. Kim, Ms. Park, take a seat you two, the test is about to begin.” The teacher, who is looking at them with a deep suspicion, motions to the only unoccupied table in the whole room, it is at the very back of the classroom in the corner closest to the window where ______ usually likes to sit.

            They take their seats in silence, feeling every eye in the classroom on the two of them, boring into their souls, accusing and suspicious. She makes brief eye contact with Myungsoo, making her heart flutter, before her attention is drawn to the front of the class where her teacher is beginning to explain about the exam.

            “The test will need to be completed by the end of class, it consists of twenty questions, some are harder than others,” He pauses to narrow his eyes at the group of students. “You may use the back for scratch paper if needed. Keep your eyes on your own paper, don’t forget, I too was a student and I know all the tricks, no cell phones, no

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter