01

Winter Break

Rushed and muffled footsteps could be heard as the members of one household scurried across the carpeted floorboards of the living room. Some ran, while some preferred to just slowly walk. They talked in loud volumes even though it was still five o’clock in the morning.

Despite the rowdy disposition of the household, Sungyeol was in the master’s bedroom, quietly double checking the contents of their luggage just in case he overlooked some of the items listed in his checklist that he held in his hand. With a hand on his waist, he shifted his weight on his other leg as he heaved out an audible sigh. He slowly stretched his back that felt sore after bending over for a good three minutes as he worked on opened suitcase that was on their bed. Just as he was about to make a twist for another good stretch, his husband peeked out from the door of the master’s bathroom.

“Yeol, did you pack my black fedora cap?”

Sungyeol, shoulders slumped, looked at his husband straight in the eyes, “You want me to pack the whole rack?”

There were times when Sungyeol couldn’t believe that he married a man that has an extreme ‘adoration’ towards fedora caps that has the darkest shade of the color spectrum. It wasn’t a problem, really. What ticked Sungyeol was that when Myungsoo couldn’t be more specific especially during at times when they needed to hurry, like now.

Myungsoo just blinked as he padded his wet face with a towel. “So, I guess that’s a no?”

Sungyeol crushed the innocent leaf of paper as he felt his blood rush on to the back of his neck. “Well, yes, Captain Obvious! Can’t you hurry up? You know we have a plane to catch and of all times to be a sissy, why now?”

Myungsoo knew he stepped on to a landmine. It may be the shallowest of reasons for Sungyeol to blow off just because he asked for his fedora but Myungsoo simply couldn’t blame the older man for being grumpy. Who would feel good of waking up at three in the morning to catch a seven o’clock flight but had to bend over the sink to throw up instead of checking the bags? It’s already five and they’re still in their house instead of being on the road on their way to the airport--- he still had to drive for a good thirty minutes for crap’s sake. Of course, Sungyeol would be mad. Myungsoo could only hope for the traffic lights to be green if they happen to pass by one.

Myungsoo rushed to his spouse and engulfed him in a tight embrace. He felt Sungyeol leaning on to him as he softly whispered into his ear, “Hey, hey, I’m sorry,” he apologized as an attempt to coax the other while rubbing his arms and kissing the side of his head, “I didn’t mean to add more stress. I’ll take care of it.”

Sungyeol sighed as the smell of Myungsoo’s aftershave entered his nostrils. Paired with his husband’s musky scent, it calmed his nerves. “I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to blow off like that,” he said as he leaned his head back on Myungsoo’s shoulder. Sungyeol felt rumblings on his back as Myungsoo let out a light chuckle, “It’s okay,” he heard. He silently watched as Myungsoo moved his hands from his arms down to his stomach. He smiled when his husband started to make circles with his thumb on his stomach. Sungyeol bit his lower lip as he slightly turned his head to the side and admired Myungsoo’s side profile.

Myungsoo caught his wife who was intently watching his face, “Do you really have to bite your lip like that?”

Sungyeol let go of his lip and lightly laughed, “It tickles,” he confessed as he put his own palm over Myungsoo’s hand. Sungyeol then craned his neck to be near Myungsoo’s ear and whispered, “I think baby doesn’t like early mornings, like his appa.”

The couple chuckled and cuddled. Myungsoo wanted Sungyeol to relax for even just a bit since he’s been extremely moody in the mornings. Just when they were about to find their peace, someone had to walk in on them.

 “Eomma! I can’t find my blue scarf! We can’t leave, I have to use it!” exclaimed a girl in her early teens as she stood by the door frame, looking extremely annoyed over the fact that she couldn’t use her favorite garment for their special trip.

Sungyeol didn’t have to answer when their eldest daughter already did the work for him. Jinkyeong passed by their parents’ room door, where her complaining sister stood and tapped her on the shoulder, “Quit the shouting, will you?” she prodded. Jinkyeong then reached down to her slightly shorter sibling and fixed the other’s upturned collar, “Find Chanmin, I think I saw them running around with your scarf.”

The smaller girl’s eyes went like saucers the moment her elder sister mentioned the name who possibly possessed her treasured belonging. “Oh my skittles! Not the twins!” she whined as she ran with purpose to the living room.

Jinkyeong grinned as she shouted for her younger sister’s safety, “Yah! Watch your steps, Aerin-ah!”

“As expected of our Team Captain,” Myungsoo stated as he draped an arm on his eldest’s shoulder. Jinkyeong gave her father a lopsided smile and a lazy morning hug, “Seriously, appa.” She rolled her eyes and turned to look at her mother, “Morning, eomma!” she greeted albeit more cheerfully as she skipped away from his father.

Sungyeol received a peck on the cheek courtesy of Jinkyeong. “Good morning,” he greeted back and gave his daughter a tight hug.

Myungsoo had a scowl on his face and complained, “Hey! No kiss for me?”

Jinkyeong just playfully stuck a tongue out at her father, “No, appa,” she retorted with a giggle, “But really,” she interjected before her father could retort; “We need to go now, Coach Kim. It’s almost six! I thought we have a plane to catch.”

Jinkyeong walked in further and went by Myungsoo’s bedside table. She pulled open the drawer where the car keys were hidden, the keys jiggled as she picked them up and showed them to her father who was in the middle of wearing his sweater, “Appa, I’ll start the car, I’ll call Daehan to get your luggage.”

Myungsoo gave an okay and Jinkyeong immediately made her way out of the room when a taller figure blocked her way. “Oh. Daehan, you’re just in time!”

“I’ll get the luggage,” Daehan simply stated with a straight face.

“Do you read people’s mind?”

“I’m not Professor X, noona.”

“Ooh~ always the witty kid,” Jinkyeong teased. Before she was completely out of the room, she turned and went back to Sungyeol who was already prepared to go, “Eomma, let’s go downstairs, together.”

Sungyeol was thankful for having a very thoughtful daughter. Well, all of his kids were thoughtful in their own ways. Sungyeol smiled at the mere thought of his children--- his and Myungsoo’s children.

Jinkyeong, the eldest, was mischievous and tricky in her own ways but she always made sure that she would be able to set a good example to her younger siblings, thus, setting limits in everything she does.

Daehan, their second son, was Myungsoo’s living doppelganger. He’s very affectionate, even clingy and touchy at some point – with just his family members, of course. He’s also a man of few words; he even earned the Cold City Boy title at school, just like how his father used to be called when he was younger.

Sungyeol remembered the day, weeks after he gave birth to Daehan, Myungsoo couldn’t get his hands off of him. For some reason, giving birth the second time made him more alluring. Like what most of his friends told him. Plus, the fact that Myungsoo was in cloud nine since his mini-me was finally born; he couldn’t take his hands off Sungyeol all the more – which resulted to the birth of Aerin.

Aerin, the third child and their second daughter, was came only eleven months after Daehan was born— on the same year. It was one of the most memorable days of their lives when Aerin was born. People always thought that Daehan and Aerin were fraternal twins. The days, when he and his husband decided to play along and bought pairing clothes for Daehan and Aerin, flashed at the forefront of Sungyeol’s mind as he descended the last flight of stairs with Jinkyeong assisting him. The twenty year-old guided Sungyeol to the living room and made the latter take a sit on the leather couch before heading out to the garage.

Sungyeol watched as Daehan descended the staircase with the heavy luggage in tow. He slowly took his steps, careful not to trip himself as to not cause trouble.

Just as the word left Sungyeol’s thought, the top troublemakers of the house made their presence known, Chansoo and Minsoo.

The five year-old twins, most often addressed as Chanmin, bolted out from the kitchen and in to the living room. The pair ran with a squeal as their older sibling, Aerin, ran after them.

“I’ll tickle you because you stained my scarf~! Rawr!”

The twins scurried as fast as their legs could and climbed beside their mother. “Eomma! Aerin noona, stop~! We’re sorry~!” the boys cried in a fake distress as they hugged their mother’s neck and laughed with glee.

“Okay, hush now,” Sungyeol said as he tried to calm the boys from their high which was in vain. Chansoo and Minsoo only squealed more when Aerin plopped down on the cushion to sit beside Sungyeol as well.

Aerin released a heavy breath, as she was also gasping for air. It wasn’t easy to chase two rambunctious boys around the kitchen island. She used her blue scarf to wipe the thin layer of sweat that formed on her forehead, “It’s okay. I’m not going to tickle you anymore,” she started and breathed some more, “come to noona?”

Chansoo and Minsoo looked at each other, silently communicating through their eyes. A few seconds after, as if the two boys came with a mutual agreement, Aerin found herself lying on the couch with her brothers on top of her.

“Stop now, before you hurt each other,” Myungsoo nagged as soon as he got close to the cushion and picked one of the twins off Aerin.  “Let’s go?”

Aerin, with her brother in her arms, stood up with a smile, “Sure, appa!”

Just when Aerin was outside with Minsoo, Chansoo began to wriggle in Myungsoo’s embrace, tears gradually glazing his eyes. “Appa, let me go,” he dragged, “Minsoo-yah~!”

Myungsoo hastily placed Chansoo back on his feet and watched as the boy dashed his way outside their house, meaning to be beside his twin as soon as possible. He straightened up, back on his footing and gave a quick glance at his wife who stood beside him. “Hon, I just wanted to ask, if you don’t mind?”

“No, I don’t mind. What is it? Is something bothering you?” Sungyeol inquired as he lightly gripped his husband’s arm, encouraging him to open up.

Myungsoo released a dramatic sigh before raising a brow as he spoke, “How did we end up with twins?”

Sungyeol launched a light punch on Myungsoo’s arm to which the other scowled. “You were the one who wanted to try it,” he pointed with his brows furrowed and nose scrunched, “You were so curious ever since your mom kept on nagging if only Daehan and Aerin were twins for real.”

“Oh, really, Mrs. Kim?” Myungsoo mused while the two of them walked out to their drive way.

Sungyeol locked their front door and faced Myungsoo with mocking brow raised almost up to his hairline, “Really, Coach Kim. Let me remind you that your curiosity always ends up with a baby. Don't forget that we have another boy on the way.”

Myungsoo paused before approaching their family car, casting his eyes at the dark skies as he played thoughtful in front of his wife, “Should I be curious and make my mom nag for another granddaughter, then?"

“Myungsoo!”

“Okay, okay. Just kidding! Let’s go.”

 

--------------------------------

[A/N]

As per usual, it's un-edited LOL

I suddenly found myself typing away. Haha!

To those who read Expect the Unexpected way waaaaaay back, thanks so much! :)

Comments are very much appreciated, haha <3