Final

Under The Old Weeping Willow Tree

--


Under The Old Weeping Willow Tree


--

“That tree,” that old weeping willow tree looks the same. Every branches, every pieces, there’s no changes. It’s been a long time since I saw him again. It was at least seven years after but still, it’s very fresh in my mind. 
His eyes…
His smile…

 


***

 


It was a rainy Monday after my class when I decided on having a short stroll around the campus. Although it’s pouring, I just ignore the rain drops which are falling in my head and continued walking. I found myself under a big tree with long slender pendulous branches. That’s the first time I saw one that is why I didn’t notice I was gaping in awe.
“That’s called a weeping willow,” a soft voice said behind me.
“Oh, I’m sorry… it’s just that I never thought something like this can be found in the campus.” I answered without looking back.
“No doubt, you look amaze so much…” he added and giggled. I finally turned my back to see who I  am talking to but was amaze of what I saw, more amazed than the weeping willow tree.
He was very good looking! His eyes, his lips, his milky white skin and his smile!
He was very attractive! 
“Err… I-I’m Jongin… Kim Jongin…” I manage to blurt out and was rewarded by another set of melodious giggles.
“I’m Kyungsoo. Do Kyungsoo…”

 


***

 


Everything went so fast.  Just a week after we met we became best of friends. We studied in different schools but got the weeping willow as our meeting place. 
Every time we meet, we got new stories to share. We laugh together and even cried together once I talked about my dog “janggu” who died when I was just five.  I never thought that I’ll fall for him… well, who won’t?!

 


***

 


The thing I was afraid of finally came. I have to move to another country to continue my study. I was sad but I know it was time to say goodbye. I hugged him and he hugged me back with the same force. 
“I will come back for you…” I said while trying my best not to cry.
“I’ll wait for you under the weeping willow… I want to continue listening to your stories and the other things you still wanted to share…” Kyungsoo said while his voice is being rumpled by my shirt.
Things I wanted to share like my feelings for him…
My feelings…
“For how long can you wait for me?” I asked with a tint of hope in my voice.
“Even if it takes me forever, I’ll wait…”

 


***

 


I remained loyal to him and never dated anybody. I stayed longer in Canada than I expected but still focused on my studies. I wanted to finish with a degree because I wanted Kyungsoo to be proud of me and I don’t want him to regret waiting for me.
I finally graduated and have a job on a well-known company with a high position. Now I know is the perfect time to return to him,
Return to the man I love…

 

***

 

“That tree,” that old weeping willow tree looks the same. Every branches, every pieces, there’s no changes. It’s been a long time since I saw him again. It was at least seven years after but still, it’s very fresh in my mind. 
His eyes…
His smile…
And there was he! Still under the old weeping willow tree! He was there! At the same spot where we sit and share our stories. I walked towards him, I didn’t realize that tears are already flowing silently from my eyes; tears that I never thought would fall because of him.
I was near but I couldn’t even touch his hands anymore, only the frame beside the tomb where he lay…
He passed away.

 

***

 

I never thought that this day would come. He kept his promise and chooses to be buried under the tree.
Now he will never hear the stories I have for him…
He will never hear the words I have only for him…
I will never be able to show him what I really feel about him; I never even got the chance to tell him I love him…

 

***

 

I will always remember this place in my heart, the place where we first met and the place we finally part.
I left with a heavy, broken heart and a promise to visit him every time I feel that he is calling out to me but every time I can’t possibly come, I’ll leave him with the weeping willow tree whose branches appear like flowing tears, tears for the memories that are treasured but will never return.

 

***

 

FIN

 

***