Chapter 4

Jeeo-ri

Chapter 4

 

 

My heart was pounding so forcefully against my ribcage in a rhythm I never even knew was human. The school hall was filled with people buzzing and whispering about the vandalism which happened overnight, which is on the school gate, on full-view for the public to scrutinize, and be both in awe (Well, what can I say, I am an artist) and in disgust at the same time. I opened the door to our homeroom and spotted Sungyeol in the corner, his usual spot, emersed in a book amidst all of this chaos. And then there was Sungjong, Hoya, and Woohyun, wearing a very troubled look and their faces. 'Did you or did you not-' I heard Sungjong huff and stop midsentence as soon as I approached them.

'It wasn't us!' The three immediately chorused even though I haven't even said anything yet, it is too early to deal with this. Woohyun crossed his arms, 'Well, it must be one of us I mean we're the only one who-' Hoya quickly covered Woohyun's mouth. Sometimes I wonder why I even helped Woohyun, he was new when he became my client but unlike Suzy, three days in and he was pretty much all-Jeeo - and fastforward to now I realise that maybe it's not just dad's messages but Nam Woohyun is genuinely just an .

Don't get me wrong, I like Woohyun all in all, he's logical, truthful and fun, but sometimes he's too truthful, logical, and maybe a little less fun. But these are it. These four are my only friends in this hell town dad created. 'I swear on my life it isn't me." Hoya let go of Woohyun and sighed before looking at Sungjong who raised his hands up signifying stop 'It's definitely not me I don't even know how to paint let alone hold a spray can.' Which is true, Sungjong would probably be my dad's favourite little gem for his inability to be artistic but then there's Jiyeon, which speaking of the devil, is now tapping me behind with the clipboard she always carries around.

She outstretched her hand passing the pen to me, 'Myungsoo,' she eyed me up and down suspiciously, 'I'm sure you've heard. Our beautiful school had been vandalised' Yes. Yes it has, and it was done by me. She tapped the pen on my hand again, 'Here, sign this and join my team-" I heard her say until I heard it. I started hurrying towards the door exiting the room, and heading towards where the speakers are in the halls. My heart thumping faster than ever.

If you have any information on who vandalised our school gates, report to the office immediately.

I felt a sudden pang of guilt, panic, anxiety. Reporttotheofficeimmediately.  Everything I've worked so hard to maintain, my image, my secrets, suddenly felt like it's suddenly out of my grasp. The worst thing is this probably wouldn't shake me up so much if it wasn't for the fact that I have no control over it. I mean yes I have control over it, I can control the messages in my brain, I could make another set of messages to counteract these but what about her?

And speaking of her, where even is she?

I started hurrying towards the main exit of this building, my main instinct telling me that she's somewhere near the basketball court of the school, oh god please let her be in the basketball court. It's quarter to 8, fifteen minutes before first period. If I can't get to her in time, soon she'll be locked behind one door and me behind another. I estimate 45 minutes before the message fully sinks in and she bites the dust. 

The halls are full of kids putting their backpacks in lockers with no locks. No worries about theft or secrets here. They're all talking, still murmuring about the graffiti. And it smells like fresh oranges. Healthy breakfast make for smart minds. 'Kim Myungsoo, my man.' A tall boy wearing a white buttoned up polo approached me, 'Care to join us for debate club after school?' I have not enough time for this. 

And I have never even seen this kid in my life.

'I wish I could make it but I have to study.' I smiled at him as I caught the same blonde streak of highlight in my peripheral view. It's her, and she's heading towards somewhere and- 'If you join our club we'd finally have enough members to-'

'Sure okay I'll join, just give me a minute to...' I trailed off as soon as I started walking my way through the swarm of students blocking my way towards her. People are moving faster now. Almost time to be where you're supposed to go. We all know the great are never late. 'Myungsoo! Do you want to be my lab partner-' A girl with a short bob waved at me. 'It'll be my pleasure!' I waved back as I started speed walking away from her. I push through the crowd. 'Myungsoo I'm having a SAT review party on Saturday and-' 'Can't' I push past. Before another can approach, I see her at the end of the hall. Red blazer over a gray dress, and tangled hair in the middle of smooth-headed clones wearing pastel. I up my pace. 

Finally I get close before she can open the door towards the exit. When she sees me, a slow smile stretches open. 'Well if it isn't Picasso.'

'Don't even- Don't call me that.' I step so close her nose almost touches my chin. My lips buzz with possibility. Her smile fades and she tilts up her face closing the inches between us and for a second I think we'll kiss, but then she takes a step back, 'Scared I'll tell?'

'We'd both be screwed.' I whispered. the kids around us slow down and stare. I glance at my watch. The stream of messages get them moving again. 'I have Chemistry' She tries to step back again before I grab her. 'I know it's in your head, it's like an itch right?'

'Nobody knows what's in my head.' she shoved my hands off her.

'Suzy, you shouldn't tell.' I looked her straight in the eyes, hoping that it'll work, whatever I'm doing, whatever this is, will work. She's new which means she's not as vulnerable to the messages as the others are, but it doesn't mean she's completely resistant to them. I just need to buy time, I need days to make my own message, something that will make sure she'll keep my secret.

'You didn't have to do that Myungsoo, but there you were, pretending you were bad.' A grin transforms to new lusciousness - then it's gone. 'Maybe you should be punished.' How can I stop her? I close my eyes for a second. 'You're not like that.' I calmly said, towards her, towards myself, hoping and hoping that I'm right. 

'Please. I'll be working at the vets this weekend, can you please just come see me?'

'What so that you could charm me like these other acolytes?'

'Just come. Please. We'll talk.' I begged. Desperately.

'OK. Fine.' The bell rings and she walks the other way.

 

 


I'm sorry this update took a little long, it's been a busy week oops.I love reading your comments, thank you for supporting this fic!

-jelleu