Crossing Paths

Fateful Coincidences
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Min Ho stepped into the elevator and pressed the 22nd floor button. He glanced at his watch and frowned. He was two hours late, and Il Woo wasn’t going to let him hear the end of it. It’s been a few months since Boys Over Flowers had aired its last episode, and he has never felt more exhausted in his entire life. With only three hours of sleep, he had to wake up at eight o’clock A.M. for a photo shoot. That lasted a couple of hours, after which, he set off to meet more reps for his CFs over lunch. His schedule for the next month was laid out to him, and just thinking about all the work ahead was making him feel more drained by the minute. There was barely any time to rest when he was whisked away to a flight to Busan for a fan signing event that afternoon. He took the train back, and after a three-hour trip, he was ready to collapse.

His body was begging for some sleep, but it was Bum’s birthday. He had to be there.

Just as the elevator doors were about to close, he saw a hand slip in and try to stop them.

‘Hold the elevator,’ he heard a girl’s voice say. Min Ho immediately pressed the button to stop the lift and let her in. The doors parted open, and the girl stepped inside. When Min Ho looked up, he was a bit surprised to see who it was. She was wearing a white floral dress, her straight hair cascaded down her shoulders. How long has it been since we last saw each other? A month? Two?

She met his gaze and recognition flashed in her eyes. ‘Eo?’ She smiled and bowed slightly. ‘Anneyonghaseyo.’

Min Ho smiled back. ‘Annyeonghaseyo.’

She made her way to the opposite corner. The doors sealed shut, and Min Ho could smell her perfume from where he stood. It was sweet and rosy – like the way she looked.

He always thought elevator rides with strangers were generally awkward; you were to stand in silence as you patiently waited to reach your destination. But at least, you weren’t required to talk to anybody.

Elevator rides with acquaintances, on the other hand, were much, much worse. It would be rude not to say anything to someone you’ve met and interacted with in the past, but you can’t be comfortable enough to joke around or discuss anything under the sun, like you would with a close friend. And frankly, ice breakers and pleasantries were just something he wasn’t good at.

He was searching his brain for something to say to her. How have you been? I haven’t seen you in a while. Too bad we weren’t able to talk some more during our last shoot.

‘Are you on your way to Bum’s party?’ Her voice disrupted his inner ramblings. When he turned to look at her, she was looking back at him, still brandishing a sweet smile.

‘Ah, yeah. Are you?’ Thank God she spoke first.

She nodded her head. ‘We’re quite late, aren’t we?’

‘We are,’ he let out a laugh. ‘I actually just got back from Busan.’

Her big eyes sparkled. ‘Really? Me, too. I caught the 5 o’clock train back.’

That’s weird. I did, too. ‘Ahh. Good thing you made it. Kim Bum will be happy you’re here.’

She pursed her lips and smiled quite bashfully in response.

Min Ho didn’t know why he didn’t tell her that he was on the same train. Maybe he didn’t think it was important to share that information. He was sure it wasn’t because he didn’t want to talk to her anymore. Maybe he was uncomfortable with the idea of coincidences. Or maybe I’m just too tired to speak.

When the elevator pinged, relief washed through him. She stepped out first and turned to him. She made a cute gesture with her thumb, telling him she’ll go on ahead. He smiled and nodded his head. She bowed slightly in thanks and hastily made her way to the lounge bar where Bum’s party was being held. Min Ho took his time walking.

‘YA! Where have you been?’ Il Woo asked as soon as Min Ho arrived. He handed him a glass of wine.

‘I told you. Busan,’ Min Ho replied, taking a sip. It was fruity and acidic, just the way he liked it. His eyes immediately scanned the area. There were some people dancing in the middle of the room, holding either their beer bottles or glasses. There were also tables and booths where he figured Bum’s groups of friends divided themselves according to how they know him. Some guests were at the bar, engaged in little conversations.

‘Where’s Bum?’ Min Ho asked, trying to speak over the music.

‘Somewhere,’ Il Woo replied. ‘Ya, there are so many beautiful actresses here. I can’t believe you were late for this,’ he put his arm around Min Ho’s shoulders. ‘I just saw Park Shin Hye come in before you did. Did you see her outside?’

Min Ho ignored him and looked around some more. ‘Why would Bum want this type of party?’ He asked. It was mostly a rhetorical question, but Il Woo was sure to answer it anyway.

‘Come on, it’s his 21st birthday. He’s an adult now. Let him be,’ Il Woo said. ‘Oh, it’s Sohee from Wonder Girls,’ he pointed to a group of girls and grinned. ‘Let’s go say hello.’

Min Ho took another sip of his wine. ‘You go ahead. I’ll try to find Bum first.’

Il Woo shrugged and made his way to the other side of the room. Min Ho walked around a bit, searching the crowd for the birthday boy. Subconsciously, he found himself also wondering where she went. He didn’t see her anywhere, too. After walking by several booths and still seeing no trace of Bum, he retreated to the men’s room to make a call.

‘Ya, odiya? I’m at the hotel and I don’t see you anywhere,’ Min Ho said.

‘Oh hyung, sorry. My Mom wanted to go home so I’m just driving her. I’ll be back right away.’

‘Arasso, I’ll wait for you. Saengil Chukhae.’

‘Thanks, hyung. I’ll see you in a bit.’

Min Ho sighed. He really wasn’t in the mood for a party. He planned on dropping by to greet Bum, stay for thirty minutes – an hour, tops – then leave. The thought of checking into a room just so he could rest while he waited crossed his mind. It’s not a completely bad idea.

As soon as he stepped out of the men’s room, noise filled his ears again. It was getting stuffy, too. If he stayed longer, he was sure he’d end up with a headache. He eyed the bar, where he thought of waiting for Bum. At least he didn’t have to mingle with other guests and pretend he was having the time of his life.

He was about to make his way there when he saw her walk briskly to the door and exit the lounge. He caught a glimpse of her face and he could swear she looked like she was crying.

He bit his lower lip and hesitated. He didn’t know why, but he found himself following her to the exit. He watched her saunter through the hallway. It looked like she was on her way to the balcony. He looked around and there were no other guests in sight, just a few hotel staff and bodyguards who were stationed on that floor.

He put his hand in his pocket and strode slowly to the balcony. He took out a pack of cigarettes and clutched it. An excuse to be out there, he thought.

Wind gushed through him when he pushed the glass doors open. The cool summer night air was a welcome change from the stuffy and noisy lounge. There she was, standing by the railing, her hair blowing in the wind. Only dim, yellow lamps lit the space, but the stars were especially bright tonight. Min Ho had to catch his breath. She looked like she was in a painting; her white dress glowed in the darkness, with the striking Seoul skyline as her backdrop. It was beautiful to look at, but something about the whole picture made him feel a tad melancholic.

He thought about turning back and leaving her alone, but his feet were firmly planted where he stood. He looked away instead, as if giving her some privacy. Glancing down, the pack of cigarettes in his hand caught his attention. He honestly didn’t feel like smoking right now. But why else would I stay?

When he looked up at her again, he was startled to see that she was already facing him. Min Ho opened his mouth to speak, but he saw her wipe the sides of her eyes with the back of her hand. So she was really crying. They stood there in silence, both apparently waiting for the other to say something. This time, Min Ho felt it was his turn to start.

‘Are you… alright?’ He asked, taking a few steps closer to where she stood.

‘Huh? I am,’ she replied. Min Ho noticed that her voice quaked. And she flinched the moment he spoke. It was almost as if she was stunned to find out that he was real and that she wasn’t imagining Lee Min Ho standing there. Her eyes were still glistening from the tears, her nose a little red. She definitely didn’t look okay.

‘Why aren’t you inside?’ She asked him after seconds of dead air. She’s changing the topic.

‘It was too noisy, and there were too many people.’

She let out a laugh. ‘You knew you were going to a party, right?’

Min Ho broke into a sheepish smile. ‘Ahh, yeah. I’m just too exhausted to deal with all that, I guess.’

She nodded her head and looked at the view below. It dawned on Min Ho that she was just wearing a sun dress. It wasn’t even thick enough to wear inside the hotel, let alone outside. Even if it was summer, the night air was still chilly. Intuitively, he took off his blazer and held it out to her. ‘Here. It’s cold.’

She turned to him and glanced down at what he was holding. Looking alarmed, she waved her hand. ‘Anya, you don’t have to, oppa...’ She widened her eyes and put a hand over , as if she made a mistake. ‘I mean… Lee Min Ho-ssi.’

He smirked. ‘I think if you call me oppa instead, this would be a little less awkward,’ he took a few more steps closer. They were only two feet away from each other and Min Ho stretched out his hand to her. ‘Just take it or you’re going to freeze. I was feeling a little warm anyway.’

She looked like she was going to protest some more but instead, she sighed in resignation. She took the blazer from Min Ho’s hand and smiled timidly. ‘Thank you,’ she told him as she draped it over her shoulders.

Min Ho leaned his arms on the railing and turned his attention to the view. He breathed in deeply, feeling less worn-out already. I just needed some air. From the corner of his eye, he saw her lean on the railing as well.

‘You were crying weren’t you?’ He heard himself ask, without taking his eyes off the view. He didn’t know why he asked her that question. As far as he knew, they weren’t close enough to have personal conversations. When he worked with her on a CF not too long ago, they never really talked outside of the shoots.

But there was something about her expression that bothered him. He had known her to be so bright and bubbly. Not once did he see her look tired or sad in the short time that they worked together. She was always laughing, or chatting with staff members. He even wondered back then how someone can have so much energy.

So when he saw her looking devastated tonight, something inside him stirred. Like he wanted to punch whoever broke this sweet girl’s spirit.

‘I…’ she started to say. Min Ho turned to her in time to see a tear tr

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter