Chapter 6

All About Forver

     The Sunday afternoon before Eli and Soohyun would go to the police department, Eli made a last minute stop to Heechul’s office. 

    “What are you working on?”

    “Insurance.”

    “What? Why?”

    “People don’t just believe impossible things all at once, actually, people usually never believe impossible things, even if they are in fact, possible.” 

    “Okay...”

    Heechul looked up, “If you read in the newspaper that a pig was flying, would you believe it?”

    “No, probably not.” 

    “Good, but what if you saw a pig flying?”

    “I don’t know, maybe, I would probably think it was a trick of some kind.”

    “Exactly.”

    “Huh?”

    “People are most likely not going to believe that a famous actress rose from the dead and never died again.”

    “But people believe in the RCM and that brings people temporally back to life.”

    “Yes, but people also like to believe in a flawless government.”

    “Your point?”

    Heechul sighed. “Even though people will see and hear about Shin Hye, they won’t necessarily want to believe it is true.” 

    “That makes sense.”

    “So, what I am doing is insurance.” Seeing Eli’s blank look he continued. “I am writing a few articles about the moral consequences and the problems with the RCM to make people suspicious and question it before we shock them with Shin Hye.”

    “Oh, so you are basically preparing them for it.”

    “And making them more likely to believe it, yes.”

    “Ah...” Heechul really was brilliant. Eli could not think of anyone else who would have thought of that. 

    “So why are you here?”

    “Oh, um, I was actually wondering a bit about Soohyun.” Eli said rather sheepishly. 

    Heechul quirked an eyebrow and smirked. “And how is your lovely partner?”

    “Um, he was just really strange the other day when we went to go see Shin Hye.” Heechul frowned. “I was wondering if maybe you knew why?”

    Eli did not know why he was so curious about Soohyun, but he could not help but wonder that maybe if he knew, things would be better between them. 

    “You seem like a nice guy, fairly average,” Eli frowned, “but nice.” 

    “And?” 

    “Listen. Soohyun and I were really go friends for years, but two years ago...something happened.”

    “What?”

    “Originally Soohyun wasn’t on the homicide team, he used to work freelance detective work.”

    “Really?”

    Heechul almost cracked a smile at Eli’s curiosity. “Yeah. But, then his wife died.”

    Eli stared hard at Heechul, swallowing the information. Soohyun could not be much older than him, maybe twenty-eight or twenty-nine. It was surprising to hear that he was already a widow. 

    Seeing that Eli was not going to comment he continued. “Her name was Sarah and she was murdered during a house robbery one night while Soohyun was away for work.”

    “That’s horrible.”

    “Yeah, I know, but that’s not all.”

    “Really?”

    “Soohyun found out that her parents had given the police permission to use the RCM on Sarah, and Soohyun, being the hot headed idiot he is, snuck in to watch.”

    Eli gasped; even he had not seen the RCM at work yet, but after hearing Shin Hye’s story, he figured it must be brutal.

    “The only flaw with the RCM is that when they come back they are immediately back into the memories of their death, and Sarah’s was particularly brutal.” 

    “That is horrible.” Eli was torn; he could not understand how his team, the people he was starting to consider friends, could do that to another person, even just to put away a killer. 

    “I know, and so does Soohyun. He snuck in to watch, I honestly think he was hoping to get one last moment with her before she died again, to say he was sorry for not being there and such.” 

    “But?”

    “But nothing, he snuck in and watched. What he wasn’t prepared for were wrenching screams and cries; cries begging for her killer to stop, but worse, begging for Soohyun.”

    Eli sat frozen in his chair. He could not even wrap his mind around how someone could go through that and still be okay. Suddenly, any bad feelings he had for Soohyun went out the window. He would be angry and regretful too. 

    “Then what happened?”

    “Soohyun ran over to her, surprising the hell out of the team using the RCM, and hugged her. I won’t tell you what he told me happened after that, but all you need to know is that there is a good reason why loved ones are not allowed to see the deceased when they bring them back.” 

    Both Eli and Heechul shared a flinch.

    Shortly after that Eli headed home and found himself in bed. It had been a long and confusing week and Eli could only hope that the next few weeks would go over much more smoothly.