Ep 2: "Do you know who I am?"

The first impression of me?

                That Saturday morning, you head out from home with Haerin, your little sister. Yoseob said he’ll be waiting for you at El’ Coffee, a coffee shop nearby your house. Since you couldn’t leave your 5 year old little sister at home alone, you had to bring her along.

“Where is he…” you stand at the café’s entrance and look around… Right then a guy in thick jacket and a mask waves his hand to you; you guess that’s Yoseob. “Why is he always out wearing such thing…”

“Hi!” he smiles to you and takes his mask off when you and Haerin reach to where he seated.

“Did you caught a cold or something?”

“Uh? Aniyo,” he shakes his head as he giggles. That’s when you realise he has a pair of dimples… Oh my god so cute! “I have to go out wearing like this,”

“Why? Are you… Running away from someone?”

“Well, kind of like that,”

“You did crime?!” your eyes widen looking at him. Is your phone a stolen property?

“EH, NO! Yah, do I look like a criminal or something?!”

“No but…” you slowly take a seat opposite to Yoseob and put Haerin next to you.

“Oh, who is this cute girl?” he smiles happily seeing a kid in front of him.

“This is my little sister. Haerin-ah, introduce yourself.” You turn to Haerin and see… She is observing Yoseob weirdly.

“W-what’s wr…ong…?” Yoseob raises an eyebrow with a smile still on his face; looking at Haerin.

“Are you Yoon sonsaengnim’s boyfriend?” suddenly Haerin speaks up.

“U-uh…? Who—”

“My teacher has a photo of you in her book,”

“What? That’s funny!” you start giggling to what Haerin just said. “Oh you have a girlfriend? I should’ve known earlier!”

“Aniyo!!” Yoseob quickly shakes his head. “That teacher… I don’t even know who she is! Maybe she knows me from anywhere,”

“But keeping your face in her book? That’s something!”

“I guess she’s attracted to me the first time she saw my face,” Yoseob smirks playfully.

“HAH, like you’re an idol or something. Stop crapping,” you shake your head while still giggling. Suddenly Yoseob coughs without reason.

“Okay whatever. Let’s start our lesson. Did you bring your phone?”

“Yeah,” you pull your phone out from your pocket and hand it to him. Yoseob starts checking to your home screen and realizes nothing changed.

“You really don’t know how to do anything with this phone?”

“Well at least I know how to listen to music now,”

“Oh, have you?”

“Yeah… Oh yeah, you’re a fan of Beast? Everything you inserted were Beast’s.”

“Uh…” Yoseob looks at you; puzzled. “You don’t like their songs?”

“Not all songs. That… What was it… ‘When I Miss You’ sounds so good. Do you know the singer’s names?”

“O-of course…” Yoseob slowly nods. “Why?”

“There was this one voice, the one who sang the ending to every chorus… I think he sings very well, what’s his name?”

Suddenly you see Yoseob holds his lips from smiling. Unknowingly his cheeks turn red… What the…?

“That… What was his name... I forgot! Ah, I guess I’m not a real fan!” Yoseob finally smiles widely; flashing his cute dimples again. “I’ll tell you if I find out, okay?”

“Okay, now teach me how to send a text message!”

 

                                                                                                ******

 

That night you stay at the hospital for awhile to watch over your mother. Haerin fell asleep next to your sleeping mother, and you’re left awake alone. Looking at your mother and Haerin like this... Your heart aches a lot. When can the three of you live happily at home once more? Will that ever happen?

“Hah, I’m thinking too much,” you shake your head as you whisper to yourself. Suddenly your ears catch a familiar melody coming from your side…

You turn your head and see the TV is on. Wait, this song…

Byeori bit naneun areumdaun bamiyaiya~ I bami yeongwonhagil nae son jababwa~ Pureun dal i areumdaun bamiyaiya~ Nawa jwo hanereul geolreo bwa!

Your eyes got locked to the 6 guys on Music Bank singing to the song of your ringtone. So this is Beast?

I’m youuuursss neomani nareul solege hae I’m outta control~ I’m youuuurrrsss nobody, amudo neol dashi neol su eobsseo, na mitchige-eh~

You stand up quickly right when you see the person singing that part. Wait. HE LOOKS FAMILIAR… You run your way to the TV and watch closely. It was annoying by how the cameraman kept focusing everyone else when you’re trying to watch the one singing to the chorus!

I’m youuuursss neomani nareul solege hae I’m outta control~ I’m youuuurrrsss nobody, amudo neol dashi neol su eobsseo, na mitchige-eh~

“YOSEOB?” your eyes widen upon seeing him on stage. Is that really him? “He’s a singer? He’s a member of Beast?!” you almost scream out loud but remembering where you were, you control to your voice.

Yoseob doesn’t look that much different on and off stage. He has that baby face look… But he does looks good in his outfit stage though… And with the liners on his eyes, he looks triple times more attracting.

No wonder he wore disguises… And Haerin’s teacher kept a photo of him… She must've been a fan. Ah! You get everything now! Everything makes sense!!

The stage ended, and now other artist is on stage but you’re still frozen in front of your TV… Wah, you had been talking to a star, how come you’re so senseless!

Ttinngg Ttinngg!

When a message comes in you quickly run to your phone; knowing no one else knows your new number now except for Yoseob.

Yoseob   : Hyunjee-ah, I’m free now. Just got off work. Mind to grab a drink with me?

“Wait what..?” you read in confusion. He wants to have a drink with you? You two aren’t even close but he’s texting you right after he’s done performing. This is just unbelievable!

Hyunjee : Where?

Yoseob   : Why don’t we just meet where we met before? I haven’t done teaching you, right?

You turn your head and look at your mother and Haerin who are sleeping…

Hyunjee : I’m sorry but I’m not at home so I can’t go there.

Yoseob   : Oh really? Hmm… Next time then! ^^

The conversation ends just like that. However you’re still staring at your phone’s screen in confusion. He seriously texted you! He’s not scared of doing so? What if you spread his number to everyone else or something close to that? Right when you were about to put your phone down,

Ttinngg Ttinngg!

Yoseob   : I’m still going though… Try checking on me whether I’m still there when you’re going back home, ok?

 

Suddenly a smile forms on your lips… Why do you find his text cute? They don’t even contain anything special…

                                                                            *****

 

You stayed at the hospital for more than an hour. After biding your mom goodbye, you bring Haerin to walk home together with you. It’s upsetting actually, how Haerin’s living her life as a kid. She has to watch her mother lying down in bed helplessly like that… “Hah…” suddenly a sigh comes out from you unknowingly.

“Unnie, I want peppero…” Haerin suddenly pulls your sleeve slowly, pointing to an open shop near your house.

“Sure, let’s go,” you hold to her hand and pull her to walk together to the shop. After buying her a box of peppero chocolate, suddenly your eyes focus to the open café next to the shop. It’s still open at this hour?

“Try checking on me whether I’m still there when you’re going back home, ok?”

Yoseob’s text flashes in your head.

“Ah, it’s been almost two hours, there’s no way.” You were about to walk with Haerin but somehow your heart was called to check. Just check! “Hmm… Checking won’t bring any loss…” you start dragging Haerin along. The café is quiet, of course. It passed 11PM. But you see a man sitting alone at the corner, playing with his phone. The man you saw on TV earlier. Suddenly he realizes two eyes are watching him so he lifts his head and saw you at the front door.

“Hyunjee!!” he smiles brightly and waves his hand up in the air as if you couldn’t see him.

“Oh my god, what are you doing here alone?” you walk in and look around to see no customer is in except for him.

“U-uh? I was just… Immersed in my game,” he grins and shows you a game he was playing on his phone.

“But you could’ve gone home and play.”

“Well, home would’ve been so lonely,” he smiles warmly looking at you. “Are you going home already?”

“Yeah, I have school tomorrow, and Haerin needs to go to bed too. Aren’t you going home?”

“Oh yeah you have school… Ah, this is boring,”

“Were you waiting for me?”

“Uh?” you see him panics and starts playing with the straw in his drink. “No! I just like it here,”

“Hah, whatever. I’m going home now okay? Haerin needs to go to bed,”

Yoseob turns his head to Haerin and pouts sadly. “Haerin-ah… Can your sister accompany me for a while~?”

“Wait, what?” you glare to Yoseob sharply.

“Eung, I can wait…” Haerin slowly replies.

“Really?” Yoseob lends his hand to Haerin and shakes her hand. “Thank you Haerin-ah~ It won’t be long!”

“Why do I have to stay here?” you quickly ask, seeing him asking for Haerin’s permission for you to stay.

“Nothing actually,” he shrugs his shoulders. “Actually… I just find your company very comforting. I feel like I want to be close with you,”

You couldn’t say anything… An idol is saying such thing to you… You? Why you? “Are you having a hard time now? Don’t you have friends to hang out with?”

“Nope and I do,”

“Then? I have a little sister to take care of, I can’t accompany you,”

“Hah…” he pouts again after sighing. “Just for a minute… Can’t we talk for a little while more?”

You look at Haerin; seeing her sleepy eyes… “Fine, but you better be fast. Tell me everything you wanna say then I’ll leave.”

“Sit down,” he smiles as he offers. You quickly take a seat and put Haerin on your lap. “Actually, I’m just curious,”

“What?”

“Do you know who I am? You told me before that I looked familiar,”

You slowly think to the answer of that… “That… Are you supposed to be someone important to me?”

“I guess you don’t know,” he smiles in relief.

“I do.”

“What?” Yoseob’s eyes widen upon hearing your reply. “You really do?”

“You’re Yang Yoseob, one of Beast’s member. I found out just now… I was so shocked when I saw your face on Music Bank just now you know? Why are you meeting up with me here? Aren’t you afraid people might recognize you and take a photo of us?”

“You just found out today?”

“Yeah… Why?”

Yoseob smirks to your answer. “So all these while, you were treating me like a normal guy.”

“Of course! Why? Did you expected me to fangirl over you too?”

“No~ Not that,” he shakes his head with a smile on his face. “It’s just that… It felt so long since the last time I received a normal treatment,”

“I don’t understand…”

Yoseob didn’t continue talking. His eyes fall to Haerin on your lap. “Give her to me,”

“What?” you take a look at Haerin and realize her eyes are shut. Yoseob suddenly stands up, walk around the table and carry her up; bringing her to sleep in his embrace.

“She’s quite heavy, I don’t think you can carry her home while she’s sleeping,”

“I’ll just wake her—“

“Let me help, where is your house?”

You gulp to his question. Tremendous scary imaginations start attacking your mind. Is he going to do fishy business? You live with only Haerin as your company… No one’s going to help you if he does something…

“Ah,” Yoseob shakes his head. “I’m not intending to do something to you, don’t give me that dirty look,”

“I don’t trust you. We just met,”

“Yah. Do I look like a bad guy?”

“Bad guys now know how to act,”

“Aigoo…” Yoseob shakes his head again. “Okay then. Take her,”

You quickly take Haerin from Yoseob and turn away just like that. The first three or four steps you took were okay, but then you struggle a bit to carry her. She grew a lot! “When did she became this heavy…” you whisper to yourself.

“You’re going to stumble over something,” Yoseob says as he too walks out from the café.

“No I’m not going to,” you proudly say and walk in confidence. Behind you, you can hear Yoseob giggling while looking at the way you walk. “Aish, stop laug—!!”

“OH!” Yoseob quickly catches you before you fall when you slip on a slippery floor. “Yah, I told you she’s heavy,” Yoseob quickly takes Haerin from you and pats her back repeatedly to avoid her from waking up. You watch him putting Haerin’s head onto his shoulder as he watches her sleep.

“Shh… Shh… Haerin-ah go to sleep…” he whispers as he sways his body left and right. This is such a rare sight… What is this sight? Haerin is sleeping in someone else’s arms… Not dad, not mum, not you. Somehow, the way Yoseob observes Haerin and handles her with care really soften your heart... Wait… No!! What are you thinking!!!

“I’m going to report you to the police if you do anything.”

“Uh?” Yoseob looks at you weirdly. You just turn around and start walking home. A happy grin forms on his face as he starts taking his steps too. “Does that mean you’re allowing me to come with you? Yah, do you even know how to make a phone call to the police using your phone?”

You ignore his question. Ugh! Why are you stuck with this idol at this late hour? Your heart keeps praying nothing bad will happen.

 

-EP 2 END-