Ep 1: That was my only phone!

The first impression of me?

          You run off the elevator of the hospital to rush to school. Ever since your mother had been admitted to ward due to cancer, your life had been hectic as ever. Going back and forth from home to the hospital, send your little sister to kindergarten, part time job… Living as an 18 year old teenager isn’t an easy thing for you. Dad? Huh, that wreck jerk. He ran off with a beauty he picked randomly from the club; leaving his family just like that. He knows mum won’t be able to serve him any better so he choose to run.


“Here’s your order,” the ahjumma from behind the counter says as she passes you a plastic bag. 

“Thank you! I’m going now!”

“Walk safely, see you again tomorrow,” she smiles as she watches you run while waving back at her.

You really love the kimbap that the ahjumma sells in her stall so you sure will stop by to buy some before going to school. After that you will run with all might not to be late for school. 

Trrttt—Trrttt—

“Hello?” you pick your cellphone up while running.

“Yah Nam Hyunjee! You’re dead meat!! Professor is on his way to cla—Oh! I can see him now! He’s climbing up the stairs!” you hear Jihyun speaks whispering but loud enough for you to hear. 

“Ugh! I’ll be there soon! Just tell the Professor I went to toilet or something!”

“Arasso… But hurry! I can’t cover you for long!”

“I know I know,” you hang up and take a look at your phone when suddenly— PAP! “Ah!”

You groan a bit upon hitting someone that was standing in front of the pathway you’re running. At the same time you dropped your phone and it fell to ground- scattered. “I’m sorry! I was in a hurry!”

“Oh, it’s okay,” the guy looks at your phone. “Your phone…”

“Oh no!!” you quickly kneel down and pick up the parts. “This is my only phone what do I do…” you say as you sadly gather the broken pieces.

“I’m sorry, I didn’t know you were coming my way…” he sits down to help you pick up some parts. 

“It’s okay… It was my fau—“ right when you lift your face up to meet his eyes, you realize something… He looks familiar… “Wait… Do I know you? Or do you know me?”

“Huh?” he raises an eyebrow and smiles after that. “But that’s not important. Let’s go to a repair shop,”

“I have to go to school now,” you pout sadly as you stand up. “Thank you but I have to go now, have a nice day,”

“You’re studying in Seiyi High School?”

“Yeah, but... How do you--”

"Your uniform,"

"Ah... Yeah. I should get going now. Goodbye," you reply short and turn away to start running again. Your one and only phone is now broken… What are you going to do… You had been using that phone ever since you were 16… Not that you love it but because you have no money to afford a new one.


******

 

“I can ask around if anyone has other phones they don’t want to use…” Jihyun pats your back as you two walk side by side to the gate. School has ended, it’s time for you to go back to the hospital then to work.

“Thank you but that’s embarrassing… I don’t want to use other people’s stuff unless I pay for it,” you force a smile to Jihyun and see her smiles back to comfort you.

“Then…?”

“I’ll call you using a payphone when I need to, okay?”

“Arasso, bye! See you tomorrow,” 

“Bye,” you walk out from the gate and part with Jihyun. Just after two or three steps, suddenly someone pulls your wrist. “Ah! Mwoya?!”

“I’m sorry, can you come with me for awhile?” a person in grey sweater, a sunglass and a cap suddenly pulls you away from the school area.

“Yah yah! Ahjuhssi! Let me go!” you pull your hands away but his strength was unbeatable. Oh no are you in trouble? Is he going to kidnap you?

“Here, just right here,” he stops after pulling you for a while. It’s not that far from the school but at least not that close to the school gate. “Hmm… Take this,” the guy lends you a small paper bag, containing a box…

“Huh? What are you doing? Selling drugs to students?”

“Yah. I’m not doing a bad thing here, just take this.”

You slowly take the blue bag and look inside… It contains a box, written ‘Samsung’. “Wait… This is… A smartphone?!”

“Yeah, sorry about just now,” he takes his sunglasses off and only by that time you realize it’s the guy from before. 

“Why are you giving this to me? No I can’t accept this! My phone wasn’t even that expensive!”

“I feel bad about it, you said that was your only phone. Just take it,” he smiles and turns away. When he was about to walk away, you quickly pull his arm and make him turn around to face you.

“Wait! No I can’t accept this! Take it back,”

“I have one myself,” 

“But—“

“I have  to go now, hope we meet again,” he let go of your hand and smiles before walking off. You watch him entering a black vehicle and it slides off just like that—leaving you dumbfounded.

“That rich freak…” you take a look at the box again. A smartphone? You don’t even know how to use one...!

 

******

 

“Hah so tired…” you put your bag and everything down onto your study table upon reaching home. Work was tiring, the restaurant you’re working in had so many customers today… After visiting your mother, you head home with your little sister who had been waiting by your mother’s side. It’s already 11PM, and you have school again tomorrow.

“Hah… Can’t I just skip tomorrow too!!!!” your voice echoes in your room. Suddenly your eyes are lock to the paper bag on your table… “Hmm… Maybe I should give you a try.”

You slowly unpack the phone from its box and see a glimmering white Samsung phone in front of you. “So pretty…”

It took a while for you to figure out how to turn it on, and right when it lights—

I’M YOUUUURRRSSS NEOMANI NAREUL SEOLEGE HAE I’M OUTTA CONTROL~ I’M YOUUUUURRRSSS—

“OMO OMO OMO! What is this why are you singing!!!” you take a look at its screen and see ‘Yoseobie’ name was written on it. “What is this?! Is this a call?! How do I make you shut up?!” 

BYEORI BIT NANEUN AREUMDAUN BAMIYAIYA~ I BAMI YEONGWONHA GIL NAE SON JABABWA~

You just slide your finger to its instruction on screen and it stops ringing… “Oh… What happened…” 

“Hello? Are you there?”

You hear a voice coming out from the phone but your mind out.

“Hello? Can’t you hear me?”

“H-hello?” you finally put the phone to your ear and hear a voice clearly coming out from the phone. “Who’s this?”

“Yoseob, my name is Yang Yoseob. We met just now,”

“Oh! The one who gave me this phone?”

“Yeah… What took you so long to turn it on? Only by now you’re trying the phone out? I had been calling since evening,”

“I was busy… And why are you calling? Do you… Want this phone back? Or do I have to do something in return for this phone…?”

“Kkk… Aniya,” he giggles through the phone. “I just want to know if the phone’s working well. That’s all.”

“I don’t even know how to use it… And what’s with the ringtone?! So loud! What a lousy music!”

“Wait, what? Lousy…music?” he sounds upset to what you’ve just said. “You… Don’t like that song?”

“Well, I was just shocked this phone rang…”

“Hah… That’s upsetting…” 

“What? Why?”

You hear him sighing before he continues. “Nothing. I’ve inserted some songs into your phone. Check it out then you can change your ringtone.”

“Hah, that is if I figure out how to do that…”

“You seriously don’t know how to use a smartphone? I thought everyone in this world now knows how...”

“Yeah you think? I freaked out when it rang you know!”

“Ah… Then… Do you… Want to meet up tomorrow? I can teach you how to do simple stuffs,”

“Meet up?” you froze for a moment. Is this guy trying to flirt or what? “I can’t really go around much, I don’t have time…”

“Ah… Is that so? Then what about two days later? I’m sure you’ll be free right? I mean, it’s Saturday.”

“Hah… We’ll see,” you sigh. 

“Okay. Just call me if something’s wrong with the phone.”

“Whether something’s wrong or I’m so stupid,”

“Hahahaha!!” he laughs a lot after what you’ve said. “Okay sorry for laughing! Goodnight,”

“Goodnight. Thank you so much for this phone!”

“No big deal,” he says. After that he hangs up the phone and you blankly stare to the screen. 

“Hmm… Let’s figure you out,” you speak to yourself as you start sliding your finger to the screen. The music player is on the home screen so it wasn’t that hard to find. He said he inserted songs right? Better check out what songs he gave you.

“Beast… Beast… Biseuteu… B2st… Beast… Beast… What the heck? Doesn’t he has a taste in music? Looks like he’s a hardcore fanboy of this Beast group…” you randomly press to a song title and hear loud music starts playing.

EVERYDAY I SHOCK, SHOCK! EVERYNIGHT I SHOCK, SHOCK!

“What shock what the heck! So loud!!” you change the song, your playlist has only Beast’s songs.

I’M YOUUUURRRSSS NEOMANI NAREUL SEOLEGE HAE I’M OUTTA CONTROL~

“Oh so is this the song he put as my ringtone? Why are Beast’s songs so loud! Ugh,”

You press to a song title written ‘When I Miss You’ by Beast and listen in that dark room of yours… A soft guitar sound starts filling your room’s emptiness…

You thought this ‘Beast’ group would do only Beast-ly type of songs according to their name… Their singing is quite good… You continue listening to the song without saying a word… 
You listen to its’ lyrics carefully… You feel calm and lonely at the same time… The voice singing the ending for every chorus is very angelic… 

“Hmm… I guess this ‘Beast’ guys aren’t making bad music,” you nod thinking to what you just said. “Oh no wonder he was upset when I said Beast’s song is lousy, he’s a hardcore fan eyy?” you shake your head thinking to how much that Yoseob guy loves Beast.

 

-EP 1 END-