Yeah Baby, Juliette!

Yeah Baby, Juliette!

 

Kate acted preemptively this time. She went to Juliette’s place while the victim was in classes, and hid all her elastic hair bands, and bolted the window out to the fire escape shut. She used a bigger purse, into which she put her weapons: dresses and heels. She went to dinner at Penang with Juliette as usual, and acted as usual. Ngo sat with them as they ate, and they all joked around. Juliette told the ridiculous story of Kate’s recent obsession with Korean pop choreography, and even chimed in that she liked it too. Kate said they had done everything they could find, Super Junior and Brown Eyed Girls, and even some 2NE1. 
“Have you done anything by SHINee?” Ngo asked, coming back from helping a customer. 
Kate burst into giggles. “Shiny? Sounds classy.” 
“They’re like Korean Backstreet Boys. Pretty popular there. All lovey dovey, hot hot, girl you the one, that scene. You know. And some of their choreography is good.” Ngo said, returning to her food. 
Kate wrote it down on a napkin and slipped it into her purse with the shoes and the skirts. They went home in Kate’s car. Everything was eerily calm, and Juliette had heard so little hatred from Kate today, that as she unlocked the door to her apartment she began to suspect something. But by then it was too late. Kate pulled the last hair tie in the apartment, the one in Juliette’s hair, from her and tackled her sister to the ground. This time Kate was on the winning end, with the window escape route gone. Juliette’s strong will was nothing against Kate’s physical strength, and by the time night had fallen Juliette was giving up hope, freezing in a strapless black and silver dress. As she lay on the carpeted floor under Kate’s grip, her sister commented on the nice form of Juliette’s legs, elongated by the stilettos. Her teary eyes glittered with eyeshadow and mascara, her arms heavy with bangles. Most noticeable, her hair fell in long waves down her back and shoulders, ribbons of it clinging to her glossed lips as she struggled. 
Suddenly, there was a knock on the door, and Juliette kicked Kate in the thigh with the thin tip of her heel, and ran when she recoiled. On the other side was Jinki, on time, and she hid behind him. He played the hero at first, holding her and sympathizing with her as she listed the terrible things she planned to do to her sister. But when she asked for a minute so she could go change, he closed the door with his foot, and used his hands to blindfold her with a bandana he pulled from his pocket. Realizing Kate was in cahoots with Jinki, and she was not going to win this one, she calmed down. She let him lead her around, stating very sternly that she was not happy, but not taking any physical action. She tried to memorize the turns in her head, and imagine a route so she could possibly think of where they were going, but nothing came to mind. Eventually there was speaking and she could hear people around her. She tripped up some stairs with Jinki’s help, and felt a door going by, hearing more and more people. 
Finally, he untied her, and she gaped at the scene. It was a club, packed full of scantily clad young people, men serving alcoholic drinks, and blasting music. She shot Jinki a pained expression and he gave her the same wide-mouthed toothy smile he had used so frequently since they met. She looked for a moment like she might cry, but also was obviously interested in the scene. He could see her watching the groups of girls flailing their arms above their heads, thinking about how she could do better than that. 
A new song began, and Jinki took her hand tight in his and pulled her onto the dance floor. She protested and even once he had dragged her into the floor, dodging blinding strobe light beams, she stood with her knees knocking. 
“Julie please.” He begged, adjusting the hair over her shoulders, patting her on the head, and fidgeting. “You look beautiful. We can even do something choreographed, I know you‘re good at that.” He crossed his arms and did a few excessively dramatic hip s in her direction, rolling his head in a circular motion to imitate the Brown Eyed Girls. Juliette laughed hard, but did not waver in her position. He thought about getting her drunk, then remembered she wasn’t 21 for another month. He saw her again looking at the masses of people in a drunken craze, or too inexperienced to do anything more than shuffle about with their arms in the air.
“Let’s show them who knows best.” Jinki beamed.
“I can’t.” She stuttered, but she was already tapping her feet.
Jinki put his hand on her waist. “It wasn’t a question.” He said, his grin suddenly insidious. 
She was reluctant, moving her feet in a rhythm worse than the tipsy underage girls surrounding them.  She was redder than he had ever seen her before, and covered in Goosebumps from being in such a small dress. But he kept on trying, shrugging his shoulders and bending his wrists in an exaggeration of the Super Junior dance he had first caught her doing. Juliette laughed until there were tears in her eyes, and finally joined in with the loopy dance performance. But slowly, their movements got tighter, and more precise. She looked up, and saw that they were both doing the dance perfectly, in unison. She wrapped her arms around his shoulders and laughed and laughed.
“Why didn’t you tell me you could dance?” She cried, overjoyed. 
He was laughing too at this point, and he spun her around before answering “You never asked!” 
He dipped her down, exposing her long neck, then pulled her back and spun her again. On the second spin she did a triple pirouette instead, and a few people clapped. It came to Jinki around then that the alter ego had been in his head. There was only one Juliette, the terribly shy girl with the clenched jaw was the same as the mysterious dancer. His search to discover an entirely new Juliette with a secret life had turned out instead to be a single girl whose secrets he had to earn.  A single girl he loved all of.  They danced for hours. And when they went back to Jinki’s bland apartment, he had a much easier time getting Juliette out of the silver dress than Kate had getting her into it.