Shouldn't Have Stayed

Smile

Ring Ring

 

            She shifted to her left side. As the phone continued to ring, she slowly began to open her red, puffy eyes. She quickly closed them again, blinded by the sunlight through the small slight of the curtains. She blinked a few times and looked to the noise on her right. The device vibrated on top of the bedside table with the screen flashing.

 

            With a groan, she grabbed her phone and saw two missed calls plus a text. What a great way to start the morning with. She positioned herself up then drowsily typed in the passcode and read the text. All proof of tiredness disappeared when she saw who sent it.

 

From Seo: I am sorry if I had awoken you from your slumber Sunny unnie, but I am really nervous! When are you going to arrive here?

 

      A side of started to twitch upwards. Her Seo could always make her smile, even if she wasn’t hers to begin with or ever would be… The dark thoughts began to cloud her mind once more. She shook her head. Now wasn’t the time for this.

 

To Seo: It’s okay. I’ve been up for a couple of minutes already. I’ll be coming in about an hour or so. Get ready for your date with Yoona. ;)

 

From Seo: It is not a date! We are just going to a fun, relaxing area to celebrate our anniversary.

 

To Seo: Yep. It’s affirmative. You, my friend, are NOT going a date. You’re going on a HELLA PACKED SCHEDULED HONEYMOON WITH YOONA.

 

From Seo: I give up. It is seriously hopeless to argue with a bumbling idiot.

 

To Seo: Ya! Whatcha trying to say, EH!?!?

 

From Seo: Nothing. Just hurry up! I never felt this exhilarated in my entire lifespan.

 

To Seo: Cutting up the fun so soon. I see. Well, I’ll go get ready. See you in a bit.

 

From Seo: Thank you so much for taking us. See you soon Sunny unnie!

 

      She stared blankly at the phone then clicked it off. She fell backwards onto her soft pillow. It was ironic how when you text a smiley face, you’re not smiling or you sound excited and happy for someone when you don’t. Texting was a great way for her to conceal her true emotions. The ones that didn’t go away and had instead…festered.

 

            She sighed. It seemed like today won’t be her day.

 

            She got herself out of the bed. It groaned and creaked as her weight lifted off. The world span around her as she tried to get ahold of her senses. Her head careened towards the mirror on the dresser. Messy, tangled locks fell over her bloodshot eyes. Her skin pale to an unhealthy color. Dry tears covered her cheeks. She sighed. It was going to take a lot of work to conceal this failure of a person.

 

X-X-X-X-X-X-X-X-X

 

Forty minutes later, she was parked in front of the same house she had her stupid, beating organ broken. Keys jangled in her hand.

 

 “Seo! It’s time to go. Yoona’s in the car already.”

 

            A girl in a white sundress walked towards her in a fast pace. The girl flashed her a small smile as she climbed into the car. The car door automatically closed shut.

 

“Thank you for taking us out Sunny unnie. We know how busy your schedule is.”

 

“Nah, it’s fine. I have a few minutes to spare.” She glanced in the rear-view mirror and saw the couple holding hands. She quickly looked away and stared ahead, ignoring the numbness inside her.

 

“Besides, this is the fifth…anniversary for you two. Congratulations! You two do look really cute together.”

 

            The two in backseats smiled and blushed heavily at the compliment. They peeked at each other when they thought the other one wasn’t. Sunny sighed quietly. Well, time to drive.

 

X-X-X-X-X-X-X-X-X

 

            Soon enough, they arrived at the amusement park. Sunny stopped the car at the entrance and let the lovebirds out.

 

“Make sure you two have enough money! And don’t get separated! Also, don’t forget your phones cause then I’ll have to call TaeNy and you know they don’t like it when-”

 

“Arraso, arraso unnie! See ya later!” Yoona laughed as she ran off with Seohyun in hand.

 

            Sunny stared out the window blankly. She waited until they disappeared from her sight. She waited even when the car behind her honked. She waited as her heart tore up once more. Then she drove away.

 

X-X-X-X-X-X-X-X-X

 

            Sunny laughed at Sooyoung’s storytelling as she drank her bitter coffee. She was at a small, secluded coffee shop with the girls.

 

“…and that’s when I realized that it was ME who ate all of the poker chips. Then I woke up.”

 

            Jessica scoffed at the dream. Food this, food that, even inedible ones! Why doesn’t her girlfriend ever dream of her own lover? Stupid shikshin…

 

“Yah! Shika, are you going to eat that? If you’re not, can I have it?” Sooyoung pointed at the lonely sandwich in front the girl. She was practically drooling at the sight of it.

 

“Fine! Take the dumb sandwich and go away.” Jessica huffed then walked out the shop. Sooyoung took the hint then quickly followed after her while eating the sandwich.

 

“SHIKA!!!” *bite* “COME BACK!!!” *chomp* “I LOVE YOU” *swallow* “MORE THAN THE” *gag* “SANDWICH!!!”

 

            The gang laughed at the duo. This familiar routine always makes them smile.

 

Ring Ring

 

            Sunny got out her phone and looked at the caller ID. She stood up.

 

“Sorry, I got a call. Be right back.”

 

            She walked away as fast as she could without running. Soon, she was outside the café and into the refreshing, night air. She welcomed the feeling and replied to her caller.

 

“What’s up Seo?” Sunny got a bit worried at the sobbing on the other side of the line. Did the anniversary not go well or something? Maybe she’ll finally have her chance to…No, don’t be delusional.

 

“Yo-Yoona…She got. Ferris wheel.”

 

“Seo! Calm down. What’s wrong?” If that alligator hurt her Seo, there will be a crime scene soon.

 

“N-no. Nothing’s wro-wrong. It’s just…Yoona proposed to me in the Ferris wheel!”

 

            Sunny’s body suddenly froze. Wh-what? It couldn’t be. Maybe she just heard wrong. Yeah…

 

“What did you say?” She hoped that she heard wrong with all her being. She couldn’t bear it if she heard true. If so, then…

 

“I know. It sounds a bit dubious, but it really did happen! It was the most romantic type of proposal and-wait, are you still there Sunny unnie?”

 

“Y-yeah.” Sunny stuttered. “That’s…that’s great! You two deserve each other. I-I gotta go.”

 

            She ended the call before the other girl could even reply. She leaned against the brick wall behind her and breathed deeply for the  air she desperately needed. She gripped her jacket tightly where her heart as supposed to be, but that’s funny in a way. She couldn’t even feel it at all. Then she reminisced on an event a few years ago and laughed at the similarity.

 

It’s just like when she told me she liked Yoona. I was too scared to tell her, and before I knew it, she had someone who loved her and that she loved back.

 

            Sunny looked up at the clear sky. She’ll let it all out. All the pain, sorrow, and regret. Except this time, there’d be nothing to drown out the sound. No fireworks, no chatter. Just herself and her memories of a girl she could have loved.

 

            If only you loved me instead…