(iii)

Butterfly Lovers

 

 

Three days flew by like a heap of cool wind. And after three days he still couldn't get the Queen's good scolding out of his head. She had spent approximately 20 minutes lecturing him about proper ettiquette inside the Royal Pavilion and how he is especially lucky she was in a good mood to sentence a light punishment for him. Boy, he totally got his kicked this time. 

 

The Palace became a busy centre for all employees preparing for the grand arrival of the next Queen of the Kingdom. The finest Chefs prepared all different kinds of dishes in which the aroma causes some mouths to water. The Queen invited the Royal performers: dancers, and musicians, to perform a special work of art for the Crown Princess. The Ministers were given invites for the Royal feast and even the King prepared a banquet outside for the whole Kingdom to feast. The atmosphere was really enlightened. 

It all came so fast that the Crown Prince wasn't able to register everything that's been happening. He was pulled in for the fitting of his new hanbok that he will wear tomorrow. It was not like the marriage ceremony takes place tomorrow, it's just the welcoming ball for the Crown Princess. He doesn't quite understand why he had to approve the taste of the oxbone broth and the special alcohols being served. It wasn't him who ordered for a special celebration of welcoming. He noticed it was the first celebration that he wasn't even a bit enthusiastic to be involved in. 

Prince Jongin walked down the bridge of Lotus Pond with his servants at the other end of the bridge structure. He wanted to be alone and rethink his thoughts so it was best to keep a wide distance from him. He seemed to have been zoning out lately with nothing but empty thoughts or doubts. 

He stopped and placed his hands on the railings while directly staring at the clear fresh water beneath him. That spherical pond was called Lotus Pond by his deceased great-great grandmother. He didn't quite get the hint of the 'Lotus' in the 'Pond' since there weren't any evidences of lotuses that ever bloomed in this pond. Never. And for years Jongin can testify to that. His great great Grandmother must've mistaken the plants that grew on the shores of the pond as lotuses. 

"Orabeoni!" Jongin heared shuffling footsteps followed by a small giggle. He turned to his side with a wide smile and saw his little sister running towards him in such an un-princess-like behavior. Her maids in attendant are struggling to keep up with her pace as they called for her to slow down. She abruptly stops just a meter away from him and panted with uneasy breaths. Jongin approached her. 

"Princess, you shouldn't run like someone was about to eat you up. Your older brother is not going anywhere." He stiffled a chuckled and felt his sister's piercing gaze on him. "I-I know...it's j-just." Jongin wiped a sweat from her forehead. He didn't care if his fine hanbok gets dirty, it was his little sister and he cares for her so much. 

"Easy tiger." Jongin suddenly noticed Head Maiden Cho with her group of apprentices looking at the Princess. "Hayeon..." Princess Hayeon followed his gaze and grunted under her breath. She had been found. "....did you tried to escape Princess lessons again?" Jongin quirked an eyebrow questioningly as Hayeon pouted disappointingly. "Not 'tried' but I did manage to escape, you kn-" She sighs. 

"I thought I could actually escape all the way to the Forbidden Pavillion but Head Maiden Cho is too fast. Orabeoni, can't I just skip Princess lessons for now? I mean, the palace is in such a festive mood. And I should be preparing for the celebration today. Not stuck among books and needles!" Hayeon's eyes were pleading and calling for the Crown Prince to comply. However, the decision was not of his but his Mother.

"Sorry Hayeon, Mother is the only one who has the right to cancel your Princess duties today. Rules are rules." Princess Hayeon's smile dropped and she frowned while looking at her brother disappointingly.

"What's the point of having a brother as a Crown Prince when he couldn't even help me escape this torturous lessons." She stomped her way to the court attendants and Head Maiden Cho and snuck a glare at his way. Jongin offered a smile of comfort in which the Princess returned with a childish "bleh". "Have fun Princess!" Jongin exclaimed, earning another round of pouting and protests. He shook his head as the Princess' figure disappeared from his vision and he turned to the pond once again.

The Heaven's seemed to be on his side as his prayers were answered when he sees a familiar figure at the other side of the pond. She was beautiful. The way she walked, smiled, and bowed politely to the other maids made Prince Jongin's heart flutter, just like they used to always be. She was carrying something on her arms and he guessed she might be headed to the Grand Venue of Royal Ball.

How he wished he can have her in his arms once again.

Jongin's eyes fixated on the girl. He never blinked nor moved. He was truly stunned and head-over-heels in love with her. Too bad she can no longer be his. Sadly, he will be committed to a different girl, certainly not his very first and only love. How he wished that everything he was experiencing right now were all a horrible nightmare that will vanish away once he wakes up from his deep slumber. However, this was from a mere dream. This is the reality he had to face. 

Jongin watched as the girl he loved, fade away from his sight. 

 

The sound of footsteps vibrated on his ears as he lightly kicked some pebbles along his path. His eyes stared at the dusty ground with court attendants trailing behind him very closely. The point of strolling around the palace was to have some alone time but clearly it was the opposite of what's happening now.

Prince Jongin stopped abruptly on his tracks and he heard light footsteps coming to a quick halt. Yoon came behind him, leaning closely to his ears.

"Jeonha, you have to get ready for tonight's Ball." Jongin sighs and nods. Today, he will meet his wife to be.

 

Gisaengs, dancers, musicians, drummers, and even the famous fire performs all showed their amazing performances. And each group's performances were greatly acknowledged with a standing ovation and cheers. The chefs, that stood beside the tables with dishes that they exceptionally prepared were given compliments from the guests. The Guests all joined at the centre to showcase their dance moves and talents. The Royal family sat at their thrones with specially prepared dishes at their own table. The King and Queen were enjoying the performances while Princess Hayeon were among the people at the 'dance floor'.

Jongin seemed to be the only one that is sullen. He didn't pay much attention to the party or his parents when they talked to him. Jongin played with his food while trying to read a book under the table. Of course, the King noticed his Son's behaviour and he gave a warning stare at him. Prince Jongin immediately closed the book down at the fear of being reprimanded.

Even the Queen Dowager is clapping along the beat of the music wearing her graceful smile. Everyone seemed to be enjoying the Ball.

Jongin's eyes quickly dart around to search for the other princes, he looks at his aunts and uncles table but didn't see any Prince. "Jongin, why don't you go have a little fun. The other princes are enjoying it too, why can't you?" The Queen looks at her son. That's when Jongin realized that the Princes, were in fact, dancing with all their energy. They are practically the centre of attention. And they have Jongin's full attention.

Someone tapped him from behind and he turns to see Baekhyun. "What are you doing here?" Jongin asks. Baekhyun took a seat beside Jongin and bowed to the King and Queen. "You're quite lonely so I'll join you."

With Baekhyun beside him, he feels happy. And he was able to smile that night.

 

"Your Majesty, the Princess has arrived." A servant bowed to the King. The King smiled at the news and signalled his attendant to stop the music. Jongin looks at Baekhyun. His so-called future 'wife' is here and he wasn't quite ready to meet her yet. He was nervous. Very, very nervous.

"Your future wife is here. Wow, this is really happening." Jongin gave a slight nod. The fact that everything is happening just how his Father picture it scared him to death. He still wished this was all a nightmare.

"I wonder what she looks like." And Jongin was curious too. He was curious to see her.

The music stopped and all eyes directed to the King. "Good Evening, I would like to thank you all for coming to this significant celebration. As you all have heard, The Crown Prince is to be bethrothed with a royal from the West. And with this royal marriage comes a union between the two Kingdoms. This will be one of the most exciting events that happened throughout History. I would like to acknowledge the family members and all the people that showed anticipation for this union. And tonight....finally....we will be able to catch a glimpse of the next Queen and the Mother of the next Crown Prince." Claps and cheers resonated throughout the palace. The King smiled and then turned to his one and only son.

"Crown Prince Jongin, will you please stand join in as we will finally see the Crown Princess we have all been waiting for." Baekhyun gave Jongin a nudged on the shoulder as the Crown Prince stand up reluctantly and stopped beside his Father. It was funny how he wasn't even anticipating the arrival of the Crown Princess. In fact, he will be more than thankful if it's not today.

"My friends, let us welcome, the Crown Princess of the West." The King said with finality and the gates opened. Jongin's breath halted for a second and he could feel his heart beating against his ribcage. His eyes darted around and the people showed as much anticipation as his family and relatives does. Should he feel relieved or nervous? He doesn't know what he feels at all.

Then suddenly music blasted and the mood lightened up even more, people's eyes were fixated on the carriage and a hundred soldiers dressed in blue army clothing. The soldiers marched on the concrete floor, neither displaying any kind of emotion. They seemed so foreign and intimidating that Jongin could now understand the meaning behind the West's army's success in the battlefield. They are so distinct apart from their soldiers who wore red army clothing. Jongin has a lot to learn from the West's success once he rises from the throne.

Jongin stared at the carriage that carries the Crown Princess. A scarlet red see through curtain covers the windows so no one can see the Princess inside. Jongin can only see her shadow and he could see her sitting so poised.

The whole group stopped and a short, chubby-looking guy with ashy-grey hair bowed down to the King. He stands up and gestures the guards to offer the King gifts. The King thanked him heartedly. "Your Majesty, The King of the West would like to thank you for your invitation and for this great opportunity for the Princess to experience her future living environment. He had sent me, as the Princess' attendant during her stay to prepare her for the royal wedding. The King has also offered gifts that I hope, triggered your liking. Your Majesty, it's an honour for our Kingdom to be here." The short man bowed again and the soldiers and maids behind him bowed down as well.

"It is also my honour to welcomly accept my future daughter-in-law in the palace." The King smiled. Something that Jongin noticed he has been doing for the past days.

"Now, we wouldn't keep our guests waiting right? I'm sure everyone is eager to meet the future Queen." The short man bowed again.

"Of course your Majesty, the Princess has been waiting for this day too." The short man then turned and marched towards the carriage, he gestures one soldier, then stopped in front of one the curtains. With a bright smile the short man slowly opens the curtains....

Boy, the man almost fainted as he gave out a loud squeak that a girl would be proud of. He almost staggered backward once he saw who's inside. People looked at the now opened curtain and saw a very young lady. Was that really the Crown Princess?

"Wh-What are you doing here Princess Seulmi?!" The short man cried as the girl inside smiled innocently that the angels would melt. "Hello!" Her voice was gentle. People still wondered if she really was the Princess.

Jongin wanted to move to the crowd and see what was going in. What was happening? Why did that man screamed like a lion was about to tackle him?

"Is there something wrong?" The King spoke in a loud and concerned voice. The short man suddenly sprinted at the front and got to his knees. His eyes were pleading and he mumbled a few incoherent words.

"Your Highness! Please forgive me, forgive me for I have done wrong." He cried. Jongin and the rest were confused as well. His eyes then gazed at the soldiers who's eyes are full of worry and trouble. What was happening?

"What is happening?" The King questioned as he looked intently at the short man.

"Your Highness....." The short man gulped as if preparing for a huge punishment.

 

"The Crown Princess is Missing!"