(i)

Butterfly Lovers

1700 - Joseon Dynasty

 

 

The Summer breeze had always been his favourite but no one could deny the cool, relaxing Autumn breeze and the special sight of orange, yellow and rusty colours of the leaves. Winter is approaching and he never was prepared for the cold season. No, he wasn't prepared for the harsh obstacles he has to overcome to become the next ruler of the Kingdom. Ever since he was little, his Father had taught him all the filial duties he is to comply. He was trapped behind the confinements of the palace walls learning calligraphy, battle strategies, negotiations, literatures and swordsplay. Everything that a Crown Prince must do to be qualified as King. 

And he had heard praises from Ministers, saying that he will be a great ruler one day. Though, he still considers himself lacking on this one field that he couldn't comprehend. There will be more time to figure it out. 

Prince Jongin stared outside his window in boredom and sadness. It was windy and cloudy outside that caused his dejected mood to disperse that even his own bodyguard felt down. The maids waiting outside his Quarters felt unhappy since the Crown Prince is not on his usual self. Everyday he will greet everyone, however, because of the news that greatly surprised the Crown Prince. His attitudes changed drastically. He was back to the old him a few years ago. 

The Maids and the Guards and even the other Prince's had tried everything to bring back the happy Prince but it seemed the news slapped him so hard that he couldn't stand back up. All they have to do was wait for the next movement. 

"Jeonha." Prince Jongin's bodyguard, Yoon, spoke carefully. The Prince merely glanced at him and resumed back to staring at the beautiful tree from outside. Jongin notices the leaves turning orange, golden yellow, and brown, and it blends well together that he couldn't get enough of admiring it's wonderous view. He imagines himself sitting under the tree while reading his favourite story since he was 6 years old; The Butterfly Lovers.  

"Jeonha?" Yoon spoke again. Jongin his head to look at him, his dark orbs seemed empty. 

"Would you like to take a walk around Moonlight Garden, Jeonha? I have heard from the palace maids that a new flower bloomed, an uncommon event since it's almost the Autumns season hence the Winter season afterwards. I believe it must've been planted by the new Royal Gardener." Yoon smiled convincingly. Yoon have always had this bright and friendly aura around him and it didn't take a while for the Crown Prince to fully accept him, not only as a bodyguard, but also a friend.

"Can I skip it for now?" Jongin sighed tiredly. Yoon's smile faded but he nodded in understanding. "As you wish, Jeonha."

The Crown Prince suddenly was on his feet and approached a mahogany cabinet with golden handles. He pulled open the door with much force while Yoon looked at him curiously. Jongin eyed his favourite book while gently taking it out in the open. He sat back on a chair. Just when he was about to pull open the contents a loud voice reached his ears and he peered at the door to see a shadow against the white doors.

 Jongin exhaled a breath exasperatedly. Guess they have heard the news. 

He stared at Yoon who was waiting for his signal and Jongin nods as a gesture to let them in. 

All of the peace that was present inside the room was gone when a hysterical boy came barging in while panting for air. Four more individuals entered with a slightly amused smile. Jongin groaned in frustration when their maknae of their supposedly 'group' fired him countless questions (almost taking the breath out of him). Sehun could act so un-noble-like when it comes to a shocking news.

There were six of them, including Jongin himself. They were a group of Prince's, cousins to be precise. They had known each other since they were toddlers and they were insepable. When one Prince goes away the rest find their way to be with the Prince. One could say they are almost brothers by blood. Nothing could separate their special bond with on another. Jongin couldn't feel more grateful to have his brothers by his side at all times.

"Sehun keep it down will you? It's not like Jongin's gonna go anywhere." Baekhyun plopped down on a chair and fanned himself. Jongin shook his head, sometimes his best buddies could act like they weren't royalty at all. They were simple and didn't like to boast of their high status around other kids their age.

"Crown Prince Hyung, is it really true? You're marrying, as in wearing those hideous looking hanboks and be committed to a girl?? Really?" Sehun shared a look with him and Jongin notices the lost look on the maknae's eyes. He figured Sehun must've just heard about it recently, by recently meant a few hours ago.

"Sehun, stop clinging into me." Jongin defly shook the maknae off. "Yeah right, the sight looks so weird, Cut it out Sehun." Chanyeol piped in with his usual deep and jolly voice.

Sehun was about to open his mouth in protest when Jongin cut him off. "I'll have you beheaded if you do that again." The maknae's hand shot up to his neck and gulped. Jongin grinned in truimphant and exchanged a victorious smirk with Baekhyun.

"Seriously Jongin Hyung...are you really getting married? With who? Why didn't I heard of this?"  

"It's because this current event happened yesterday and it surely circulated real fast." Kyungsoo said. Jongin pursed his lips.

"And to answer your question Sehun..." Jongin gave a sigh. "Yes I am getting married. We all know it will happen and I've been preparing myself for that. It just happens that it's too soon that I couldn't even comprehend everything that has been going on." Jongin's smile was sad. 

"To be honest...I don't know her. All I know for now is that she is the Princess of the West."

Suho gave him an assuring smile, telling that everything will be okay. The rest of the boys felt sad for the Crown Prince, all his life Jongin had dedicated it to the whole country and all he ever wished was eternal happiness. And it would only be made possible if he could share that one happiness with the one he truly loves. The next queen will surely not be that eternal happiness the Crown Prince longs for. 

"I thought that you would marry....well....her." Jongin looks at Kyungsoo, confirming his assupmtions that the her he mentioned was indeed the her he was picturing inside his head throughout the entire conversation.

"I though so myself. I had promised myself and now I gave her a false promise. I bet she doesn't even want to talk to me. I've hurt her so much." Jongin looks down to hide his impending tears. Only then he realized that he felt so lonely without her by his side.

"This marriage is beyond my control. If I could go against my Father, I will, but you all knew who always wins." The others had to agree with him. The King may be soft hearted and cared for his people a lot, however, he can take desperate measures if he really wanted something. Leason learned: never challenge the King because we all have a fair amount of idea who will be the Victor in the end.

"When is the future-queen-to-be arriving? Have you heard any further detail about her?" Chanyeol asked curiously. Jongin shook his head.

They carried on with the day, avoiding inevitable discussions about the upcoming Royal Marriage. However, it seems like Jongin didn't mind about it. Yes, it pained and scared him to think about the future ahead of him but topics like the Princess of the West will be mentioned over and over until he will grow immune to hearing it. The only thing that lit up his mood were the ridiculous and childish arguments between Chanyeol and Sehun and the poor leader of the group gets involved most of the time.  

The childish argument this time, was Baekhyun's pet turtle: Chanbi, who spends his time sitting at the corner of his confinement until Baekhyun comes and screams "Yoho!", and the green turtle moves to another corner and stays there for the whole day. For some unfathomable reason, Chanyeol grew fond of the turtle and Sehun tried his best to convince his beloved Baekhyun Hyung to bring the turtle at an animal adoption centre. The maknae just had this special dislike towards it.

"Look, just because Chanbi listens to me than you do doesn't mean you could be mean to him all you like." Chanyeol pouted childishly.

"For your information Hyung....that turtle doesn't listen to anyone!" Sehun frowned with his eyebrows knitted together. Jongin gave a soft laugh while the other three grinned.

Just then, a voice echoed behind the doors of the Prince's room and Yoon came inside. He bowed respectfully and acknowledges the other Prince's presence.

"Jeonha, the Queen wanted to see you." Jongin nods his head and shared looks with the others.

He sighs. "If it's about me breaking her favourite flower pot then I'm dead meat." He muttered and the Prince's giggled.

"Just go." Suho pointed at the door. Jongin stands on his feet.

"We'll be here waiting if you ever get your kicked Crown Prince Hyung!" Sehun hollered before the Prince strolled outside his Quarters.

 


I just want to remind you all that everything in this fic is purely based on fiction with some mixed ideas of the Joseon Era