Pain

Hourglass

Areum woke up to the sound of the alarm clock, and rises quickly for her not to be late. She looks outside the window, witnessing the sun that stings her eyes, bright as ever. It's just another day without her friends by her side. She couldn't get used to it, for they have been by her side for years. Life is so beautiful, yet so cruel. Sometimes, you could just ask yourself, why me? 

 

As she ate, took a bath and got dressed, she walks to school, not getting used to the silence. Her friend Taeyeon is already in another country, making communication hard for them. Junmyeon studies in a school quite far from hers, so she rarely sees him. Everyday is a silent movie for her. She's been ostracized since they've been gone. 

 

She arrives in school, and the bullies sees her enter the classroom. Yes, Taeyeon and Junmyeon used to defend her from them. And now, they're eyeing her like she's their prey. They come up to her, cornering her.

 

"Give me your math homework" 

 

She has no choice but to give what they ask for,because if she doesn't, then they'll beat her up. Like one time when she came home with several bruises. They copied every answer, hoping they're going to get a perfect score. 

 

"Thanks" they say as they throw her notebook, aiming her face. 

The teacher arrived and they check the assignment. She had two mistakes, so that means they got the same. Later that lunch, they all walk up to her, complaining about the assignment. 

 

"What the hell? I thought you are smart?" one of them says, shoving her, causing her to fall. That happens almost everyday. How sad. 

 

She ate alone unlike before. She's now the outcast. She wants the two of them back. She sat there, reminiscing until a voice interrupts her thoughts.

"Hi, are you eating alone?" a classmate of hers says, another outcast in her school. 

 

"Yeah. You may sit here, Chanyeol." 

They just ate through the whole period until Chanyeol breaks the silence.

"So, why do you always eat alone?" Chanyeol tries to make her see he cares, because he feels the same.

"My friends left." she was surprised somebody cares. And no one has for a long time, except for her parents. 

"Well, me too. Maybe we can be friends?" he asks her, offering his hand and Areum shakes it. For the first time in forever, she smiles. Finally a friend. She is no longer an island, thanks to him. They go back to their classroom as the bell rings. 

Later that day, Areum walks home, still not contented. Life without Taeyeon and Junmyeon is not complete. Yes, somebody cared, but it' not enough. 

 

She lives alone, her parents live in a house quite far from hers. They have a huge company, so does Jumnyeon. Sometimes she wishes they'll have an arranged marriage. She has been in this state for years. Yup. She has a crush on him for 5 freaking years. Sometimes, she thinks this is love because it already exceeded 4 months. If it exceeds, then it is love, right? And he would always appear in her dreams as her boyfriend. 

As she arrives in home, she lays in her bed and gazes at the wallpaper in her phone. The picture of her with him. She sobs in her place, wanting him to come back. 

Because she's exhausted, she falls asleep, even though it's 5 pm.

■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■

She was in a car with an unknown driver. She is sitting in the backseat, looking outside the window. She spots Junmyeon and tells the driver to stop the car. She gets off and runs after him. She sprints faster than before and catches up to him. He stops to and turns around to see her there, panting. He hugs her and pulls in for a kiss. Taeyeon stands behind them, smiling.

■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■

Areum wakes up at 6pm, disappointed with the fact that it was only a dream. She wants it to be real but she's dreamzoned. Junmyeon kissed her. Does Junmyeon miss her? She does and hopes he does the same. She buries her face in her palms and sobbed. 

 

She wants a time machine. Right now.